Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arctic Monkeys Humbug

Options
  • 11-08-2010 2:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

its a album that got a somewhat cold reception by some Monkey's fan who dropped them for the next big thing:rolleyes: and got some mixed reviews although it did finish in most of there top 20 albums of the year list.

Yet it did win them a good few new fans who weren't fans before and many a hardcore AM fan think its their best. Its a slow burner unlike their first two albums which were first time and it hits you experince. while Humbug demands a few listens which many didn't want to do and were expecting more of the same. It held possibly Alex Turner's greatest song so far in Cornerstone and a few classic's to add to their canon like Secret door, Crying lighting, Dance little liar, my proppler, pretty Vistor's and the Jewellers hand.

i can see why it wasn't loved all around the songs are slow many lacking a killer hook which the two albums had and their influences were changed from the Jam, the smiths and Oasis to The doors, Queens of the stone age and led zepplin.

i just wanted people's views on the album now
    i personally love it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

Like you said it hasn't the huge singles of other albums but the Arctics stayed away from that . I actually think that Alex should bring some of his Last of the Shadow puppet songs to the arctic's next Lp. With Josh Homme on board this album is very dark and moody.

good album all the same. They still had some of sound of the second album and the next album will have to be different I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Disappointing

EDIT: after reading this thread I tried it again today. As said above, it's sort of growing on me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

They alienated their audience by making an artistic, atmospheric and emotional record.

It's a fantastic album, musically their best by a mile.

The masses didnt like it becuase it doesnt have any floor fillers.

Fair play to them for challenging themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

judas101 wrote: »
    They alienated their audience by making an artistic, atmospheric and emotional record.

It's a fantastic album, musically their best by a mile.

The masses didnt like it becuase it doesnt have any floor fillers.

Fair play to them for challenging themselves.

well said
    its the best thing they've done and thats saying something cause their first two albums are great. Humbug needs repeated listening to unlock a lot of the songs sadly a lot of the fans jumped of the bandwagon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

its a fantastic album i respect bands that change styles and try something new on different albums. they have lost a lot of fans over it but thats a good thing as i feel them fans were fakes just loving when the sun goes down and being part of the ''im cool i like arctic monkeys'' cliche. the album of course is to blame why their not the biggest band in Britain anymore that belongs to kasabian but im sure their next album will be a cracker. i respect the monkeys for not selling out like kings of leon ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭romperstomper

I like it alot and its far superior to their second album BUT, there are still more fillers than I'd like (i'm looking at YOU 4,5,9). my propeller is a MONSTER

ricero wrote: »
    its a fantastic album i respect bands that change styles and try something new on different albums. they have lost a lot of fans over it but thats a good thing as i feel them fans were fakes just loving when the sun goes down and being part of the ''im cool i like arctic monkeys'' cliche. the album of course is to blame why their not the biggest band in Britain anymore that belongs to kasabian but im sure their next album will be a cracker. i respect the monkeys for not selling out like kings of leon ;)

The only thing i disagree about is That Kasabain(who i do love) are a bigger band then the monkeys, Humbug did sell well had three weeks at number 1. Humbug dd lose the band a few fans i'm sure they be back kissing ass if the 4th record is a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,852 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I hated it, there's enough moody bands with long hair out there, they should go back to what they do best. I really liked the last shadow puppets album though, Owen Pallett is a genius.

ShaneU wrote: »
    I hated it, there's enough moody bands with long hair out there, they should go back to what they do best. I really liked the last shadow puppets album though, Owen Pallett is a genius.

what repeat themselfs? you know bands need to change ause they end up stale. I loved Oasis, but jesus christ they got boring near the end cause they didn't change the sound. I agree the last shadow Puppets album was great but the strings ruined it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

I didn't particularly like the album. Turner's attempts to be a bit more cryptic in his lyrics didn't really hit me like the first two albums (and their Who the **** are Arctic Monkeys EP). That's not to say that I'm a bandwagon fan (I didn't jump to the next big thing, whoever that's been). I'm also a "hardcore" fan but I still wouldn't consider it their best work. You have to be able to stand back and judge the album on its own merits and not react to the media's (excessive) slating of the album. I saw them live at The Point in November and Turner didn' have the same craic that he had had with the crowd at Malahide in 2007. Each to his own I guessl

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The only thing i disagree about is That Kasabain(who i do love) are a bigger band then the monkeys, Humbug did sell well had three weeks at number 1. Humbug dd lose the band a few fans i'm sure they be back kissing ass if the 4th record is a cracker.

what i meant is all the magazines and papers completely changed alliances and starting praising and completely licking kasabians arses because of the more radio freindly album west ryder ... (which is a cracking album and better then humbug i must say). my point is if the monkeys would of brought out the same old same old on humbug it would of being them collecting the best band at the brit awards and other awards etc and they still would of been the British press number one band . also very surprised the monkeys didn't tour the festivals this year which was disappointing

i hope the 4th album they bring out is again completely different as i feel in alex turner they have one of the most talented song writers in music today

Advertisement