Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UNIDEN Bearcat UBC-3500XLT Handheld Scanner question!

Options
  • 11-08-2010 2:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

Hi will this scanner (UNIDEN Bearcat UBC-3500XLT) pick up Ambulance, FireFighters, Airport ATC and maybe Gardai in (ceratin areas that do not have the new digital tetra radio) Please answer because im planning on getting this radio!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I had the exact same scannner.

It is illegal for you to use this scanner to listen to Garda so you have to be careful to block out the frequencies they work on as the 'close call' option will catch any strong signals in the area that are being broadcast. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's certainly illegal to act upon or pass on any information heard from any State agency or Garda.

It's not illegal to accidentally listen to Garda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

watty wrote: »

It's not illegal to accidentally listen to Garda

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

That scanner is more than capable of picking up what you want to listen to. The close call is a nice feature and takes the guess work out of what frequency is in use by someone.

I was "listening" on one occasion which resulted in the aprehension of a "scumbag" who robbed a rucksack. The arresting officer who I know quite well rang me later to say thanks for the assistance. I let it slip that I was "listening in" and there was a pause...then, "ah right so, fair play!"

He didn't seem to phased about it, but could have been thought of in a different light by someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Thread Closed. Please do not discuss anything to do with listening to Garda communicatuons.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement