Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Throwers - Do I Really Need a Marine Battery?

Options
  • 11-08-2010 3:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

Lads,

I threw down some dosh and picked up an automatic clay pigeon thrower. It says that you should use a marine battery.

I have no intention on spending more money on a marine battery when I have a few auld ones laying about.

Is there any harm that can be done by using an automotive battery instead of the marine?

My understanding is that marine batteries do not mind being drained, charged, and repeated whereas car batteries will not take such abuse.

It's 12.0V and delivers normal current. So, shouldn't the car battery work fine?

Anyone just pop the hood and use the extension cables?

As always thanks in advance for taking the time to share your experiences and words of wisdom.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Any 12v battery that can deliver the required amps will work fine.
    Marine batteries are indeed often 'deep-cycle batteries', but the features that makes them 'marine' are things like more robust/sealed cases, and stainless steel or brass poles and fittings.
    Ordinary 'unsealed' batteries with lead poles don't survive long in a marine setting.

The clay trap manufacturers recommend 'marine' and 'deep-cycle' batteries as a 'best opition' for their more robust nature and their ability to be run flat and recharged many times without damage.

Ordinary car/truck/tractor batteries work just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Rovi wrote: »
    Any 12v battery that can deliver the required amps will work fine.
    Marine batteries are indeed often 'deep-cycle batteries', but the features that makes them 'marine' are things like more robust/sealed cases, and stainless steel or brass poles and fittings.
    Ordinary 'unsealed' batteries with lead poles don't survive long in a marine setting.

The clay trap manufacturers recommend 'marine' and 'deep-cycle' batteries as a 'best opition' for their more robust nature and their ability to be run flat and recharged many times without damage.

Ordinary car/truck/tractor batteries work just fine.
    http://www.europower.ie/FindUs.htm

A wet cell 12V battery off a tractor will last ages, however it is heavy and full of acid/

I do know from experience that wet cell batteries need to be keep charged to staty healthy, in a car a wet cell battery can last 2 years or more. if you have it left free standing it can go flat and end up not being able to hold a charge

I've gone through several motorbike batteries for said reason, lack of use and they go flat and unreliable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭jimbrowning

car battery is fine. and as said above, if you charge it asap, it will last years.
    you can also get a 230 to 12v transformer. but not always suitable.

Advertisement