Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hawaii J1 2011

Options
  • 11-08-2010 4:52am

Just seen a thread on after hours about the J1. Which reminded me, I must start looking to do something next summer. Got into surfing in a big way this summer. So thought Hawaii could be a cool destination. Anyone been?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Rocheykid

Just seen a thread on after hours about the J1. Which reminded me, I must start looking to do something next summer. Got into surfing in a big way this summer. So thought Hawaii could be a cool destination. Anyone been?
    Hey Dazzler,
    Just saw your post there so I said I'd give you some info on surfing in Hawaii/J1 stuff. I've had a few friends go there during the Summer and Winter and they said it couldn't be more different.

Summer would be the quiet time in a sense,all the surfing is on the South Shore,don't expect the waves to have much good size at all,anything over 5ft is very good but you get consistent 3ft clean conditions all Summer. Warm water is a real draw and the waves are much more consistent than the west coast here. Hearing from people there's very few clubs and good bars and the nightlife is centered around beach and house parties.

From October through to March is where the real action happens,the North Shore lights up and gets consistent 10ft swells and very often 20ft+. It gets really heavy crowds and locals too,every pro surfer in the world is there in December and January so good luck to ya getting a good spot in the lineup or accomodation. I've heard it's expensive all year around as well.

The best place to surf is in California in the Summer. Wave quality isn't the very best(Usually around 3-5ft,much like Hawaii) but it's fairly consistent and can have classic days(Put US Open of Surfing 2009 into youtube and you'll see what I mean). You'll have to negotiate crowds but it's not as bad as Hawaii,the surf culture there is unreal too. Huntington during US Open week is insane if you're into competitive surfing. The whole of SoCal has some great waves,Trestles,San Onofre,Blacks Beach,Rockpile(Laguna),Huntington Pier etc. You're not far from Mexico either which has some serious waves to be had.

Where are you in College actually? I'm hoping to head out to NUIG next year,much closer to the west coast during peak season than here in Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 claw16

i just came back from a j1 in hawaii this summer,it was fricking inbelievable,drop me a message if ya want any info...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 11CormacMc11

i was thinking of going to hawaii this summer but i was told it is very expensive to get there? is there work there and would it be possible to break even overall?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭lukiej

looking for info on hawaii for j1 summer 2011 too please, jobs? accom? costs? things to do? nightlife?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Kona_2007

Hey Guys!! :)

Was in Waikiki last summer for J1, completely fell in love with the place, from the tourist part to the more rural parts like Kailua, where you are guaranteed to see turtles swimming near the shore!! Serious wave-age also!!

As much as I loved it though, It was impossible to get jobs, I couldn't find a job at all, and it didn't help that I wasn't 21 either... if ye end up going I'd recommend going to the ala moana centre and hit the top floor for the restaurants, esp ruby tuesdays and bubba gumps... I wouldn't go near the hotels and shops down the strip, they're kind of snooty when you're not an islander.

we found a fairly decent apartment about 10 mins from Fort de Russy beach park, and 30 mins from a huge supermarket, and the ala moana centre, it had a pool and some bbq pits included in it, put well into use.

as far as the nightlife goes, there are a few irish bars, that clearly aren't irish, didn't want us near the place at all... only interested in the locals from what we saw, but zanzabar is a pretty decent club, and coming up to july it's flocked with military guys and women... you can get in if your over 18, but you just can't drink there, personally, just get someone else to get your drinks, chug while the security isn't looking and it's a great night!

Living can be cheap enough, like Don Quietos is a huge supermarket, albeit there's a load of japanese fish and... whatever else, but it's not that expensive when you think about the conversion, it cost me about 5,000E over all including flights, rent and even a stay in Los Angeles and Vegas.... it can be done like?

Some place to go to... takes fair long to get there, but once your there, you'll never want to leave... but be warned, beware of the hobos, they're everywhere!!!!!!!

If I were ye i'd go in a heartbeat! Best summer ever!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Dervk

I went on a j1 to Hawaii about 2 years ago. Went to Lahaina on Maui. There was loads of irish people and loads of jobs! There was irish student working in every shop and restauraunt.

Accomadation is ridiculously expensive, to be honnest everything is pretty pricey. You will spend more than you earn. The other bad thing is if your under 21 the drinking laws and ridiculously strict, and its very hard to go out unless over 21.

If ya have the cash its definately worth it, its gorgous there! So different from anywhere else in the US and the beaches are unbeleivable (not so much in Lahaina but pretty much every where else). I had an amazing summer when I went there and would defo reccomend it.

Advertisement