Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€750m Cork Marina project promises to create 1,200 jobs

Options
  • 11-08-2010 7:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭

In today's Examiner:
    A MASSIVE €750 million regeneration project for one of the country’s most iconic industrial sites was unveiled last night with the promise of up to 1,200 construction jobs.

Read more...

Good news for the docklands if it happens as the last plan for the area fell apart although I must admit this bit made me laugh :)
    The proposed development features:

* More than 800 apartments, providing homes for up to 2,230 people.

* A marina where they can park their boats.

Are there that many people who need a boat mooring spot with their flat :rolleyes:

Comments

They'll find it hard in the current climate to get all the units leased and apartments sold, no indication of a start date either. Sounds good in theory, nice and swish. Pity its so close to the kip that is the Monaghan Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

800 Apartments? On top of the hundreds vacant already?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

opus wrote: »
    Are there that many people who need a boat mooring spot with their flat

not necessarily for the apartment dwellers.
    there's a fair shortage of marina spaces in the harbour as it is. this might be handy, if it ever happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

it seems a bit pointless, the elysian is only down the road and its nearly empty!

edit: as said above by rover and paint!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

deRanged wrote: »
    not necessarily for the apartment dwellers.
    there's a fair shortage of marina spaces in the harbour as it is. this might be handy, if it ever happens.

Having marina berths that far up the river in the city is pretty pointless to the average Cork harbour user - fine for visitors to the city or people on day trips, but not practical for boatowners who use the harbour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

The words pie and sky come to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Moro Man

bladebrew wrote: »
    it seems a bit pointless, the elysian is only down the road and its nearly empty!

edit: as said above by rover and paint!

Security doesn't count....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Ian Mac

Waste of money , sweet Cork of thee being turned into Legoland , unnecessary developments and over development wasting tax payers money , it should have been invested into the charm the city once had , you go abroad enlightened by all the antique buildings , not some glass box , I blame tv :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Ian Mac wrote: »
    I blame tv :p

Erm, maybe not, it used to be the brown paper envelope, today you'll discover in the Times, Ido or other investigative journal that it's the retirement homes in the Seychelles that's the reason .... ;)

:p , incites humor ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

it'll never happen. not in the short to medium term anyway.

Is that developer in nama?

There was other talk of a thousand houses or so being but by glanmire. :rolleyes: I think the developers just miss seeing their names in the papers these days (without being in the same sentence as "broke" or "debt" being mentioned)

EDIT: just did a bit of searching there and apparently this guy has a good name in business which is solvent and he has no debts in nama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Even if it is a solvent scheme its ridiculous, they should be investing in the half-finished building sites all over the city and suburbs, and marketing places like the Elysian etc. Other aspects of the regeneration might be worthwhile, but providing more accommodation is surely not one of them!

tommy21 wrote: »
    Even if it is a solvent scheme its ridiculous, they should be investing in the half-finished building sites all over the city and suburbs, and marketing places like the Elysian etc. Other aspects of the regeneration might be worthwhile, but providing more accommodation is surely not one of them!

I agree or +1 :p

With the amount of people leaving would it be worth their while?

Complete nonsense if you ask me , the new architecture is too glitzy for a place like Cork , we always took pride in our 'average' buildings (bar the fas office monstrosity) , I think a public objection should be cast , all well and good 1500 jobs but it certainly doesnt match up to the scale unemployed overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

tommy21 wrote: »
    Even if it is a solvent scheme its ridiculous, they should be investing in the half-finished building sites all over the city and suburbs, and marketing places like the Elysian etc. !

If he is left to develop as he sees it, conceptually, it would be far more successful than the Elysian.

The original Elysian tower was to be set back in its own site with a garden view from the front and three quarters surrounded by other apartments and business.

The city manager wanted a 'street scape' so it was built on the corner of a busy traffic junction. If you've ever visited the complex, you'll know how appealing that is ~ unfortunately traffic comes up a lot and when you're asked to pay a premium for the privilege ... I personally think the original design complex would have sold better and the complex on the Marina, on paper would [or could] be more attractive than the Elysian ~ all other things being equal.

Advertisement