Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suspension components - limits & specs?

• 11-08-2010 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Please answer this post if you’re knowledgeable in the area. If not, please don’t.
    Just have a few tech questions here on suspension (not my forte), this is a long shot posting here but here goes:
    I wonder if someone could point me to a site that specs out automobile suspension testing. For example a site that may list destructive testing procedures with values. I know a lot of this is deeply guarded data but if there were typical values that would be good for a ‘standard family saloon’.
    Does anyone have typical values or specification for suspension maximum operational stresses over time? For example what are typical operating stresses to suspension components during ‘normal operation’ e.g. if measured using a 3-axis accelometer would +/- 8G in Y-axis for a pothole be normal, +/-1.3G in X-axis for cornering be normal or overstress etc etc?

For example what would be the impact/shear force required to fracture a wishbone?

What would be the frequency, magnitude and duration of input required to fatigue a new set of bushes on various suspension components?

Any pointers would be great.. thanks,
    CarMuppet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Probably more suited to the motors tech help forum.

If you ask one of the mods they may move it for you and give you access if you don't have it.

There is a guy, can't remember his nick offhand, that works for landrover in UK as a vehicle designer and may be able to give you some ideas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I think that's MrDavid. I'll move this to Tech Help now.

Advertisement