Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newbie - help on buying a bike.

• 11-08-2010 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi All,

Am currently looking to buy a new bike and would love some advice if possible. Am a relatively fit guy looking to buy a new bike for commuting to work (20km round trip) a couple of times a week and also to go on weekend rides. Hoping to eventually get up to rides of 50-60km with time. Am living in the North County Dublin area so will be on these types of roads allot initially. I am going to use the bike to work scheme so want to make that worthwhile but I dont want to just go out and buy the most expensive set up out there. Budget would be 650-800 region, i am thinking, but i dont know if this is necessary to spend this much?

I have always used a mountain bike type so am used to riding those, I am not averse to a racer type bike, but i think i would be more comfortable on what i am used to, I also wonder if mountain type bikes are suited to longer rides? I am not really that interested in speed as a priority if that makes sense. Any help on suggestions, models/types, brands etc would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks you,

Conn

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Hi,
    I got a boardman from halfords, I'd say a hybrid would be the best for yourself if it is mainly for a commute but you could also look at the racing model see what you like best around the 800 mark for both models altgough they may have a cheaper version of the hybrid.
    Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

I wouldn't bother with a mountain bike. I'd say you should look at any of (in speed order) a Hybrid, Flat-Bar road bike, Road bike.

The thing is there are no precise definitions of what these are - e.g some Hybrids have front suspension, some dont. Some Road bikes can take carriers and mudguards, some can't. I've included actual bikes in the hyperlinks to get you started.

Some thoughts:
    • Check out the WIKI - some excellent suggestions in here.
    • If the bike is to be used for commuting, then I think you will need mudguards and carriers, etc. Many road bikes do not have enough clearances, so check before you buy.
    • Front suspension might seem like a good idea - especially if you can lock it in place - but I wouldn't bother. It adds to the weight, price and complexity of the bike and can be an energy soaker.
    • Don't forget the cost of accessories. I purchased my bike on the BTW scheme and I paid €800 in total, of which the bike was €575. You will need accessories and the time to buy them is with the bike - they can be fitted for you and they also come under the scheme.
    • My bike is a Trek 7.3 FX and I am happy with it.
    • Despite this, if I was buying a bike today I would probably get a road bike rather than a hybrid. And I would say my current bike usage is identical to yours ...

These are my suggestions, you may come up with something completely different. Most of all, Have fun! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I would agree, if you are used to the upright position, not particularly concerned with absolute speed and will not be going off-road get a hybrid. This will be comfortable for you but easier to pedal/faster than the mountain bike. Should also be less to go wrong; avoid suspension if possible. A road bike is more suited to long distances due to better weight balancing and range of hand positions. But you could do 50-60km on a hybrid no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cons55

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help, some really good information there. I have only been to two shops so far looking at bikes and the two bikes the shops felt suited me were the Giant Rapid 4 and the Specialized Sirrus Elite. Obviously a price difference between the two of 300 quid, so thats something to consider. The sirrus did feel like a much better quality bike, but I dont want to get something that is too hi spec for me and i am going to look like a prat on it. I felt a whole lot more comfy on the sirrus, but not sure if 300 quid more. Does anyone have knowledge of either bike and if they think they are suited or not,

Thanks again

C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I think you should lean towards what fits better. Note that Specialized have a base model in the Sirrus line below the Elite which would probably do about as well and should be the same or a touch cheaper than the Giant while still presumably fitting similarly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

For what its worth, I started out with a mountain type bike end of last year and switched over to a hybrid around Easter. Much easier on longer rides and hills, I found the sally gap a real b@ll@x of a climb on the older bike, and no problems on the hybrid. Similarly for distances; 100k+ on the new bike is very doable, whereas it was a no no on the last bike. I went for a Kellys Neos with lockable suspension and knobbly tyres, as I still like to take an odd spin on forest tracks and regularly travel the severely potholed l-roads around wicklow. I'm guessing a decent road bike will take you a bit further, a bit faster, using a bit less energy, but reckon the hybrid is as comfortable if not more so. From memory the Kellys was around the €690 mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

cons55 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I have only been to two shops so far looking at bikes and the two bikes the shops felt suited me were the Giant Rapid 4 and the Specialized Sirrus Elite. Obviously a price difference between the two of 300 quid, so thats something to consider.

I've no direct experience, but both look like decent flat-bar road bikes.

Bear in mind that both bikes above are models within a range of bikes. The Giant Rapid 4 is at the start of a range which extends up to the Rapid 1 which is about €400 more expensive.

Similarily the Sirrus Elite is 2 notches up in the Sirrus range

So you can move up the range in the Giants - maybe a Rapid 3? - or move down the range in the Specialized to meet somewhere your budget allows. Again, don't forget to budget for accessories: mudguards, carriers, bags, sidestand, lights, bike computer, clothing (jackets for commuting, tops and padded shorts for w/ends), bottle holders and bottles themselves, a good quality lock (these are nice looking bikes). And this is all just to get you started!

Last comment - you said "the two bikes the shops felt suited me". I'd recommend you also look at road bikes (i.e. drop handlebars) and see if these may suit you. There are lots of threads here where people - a few months into to flat-bar ownership - ask can they convert their flat bars to drops. The answer is you can, but it's v.expensive. Take the time to google first, talk to as many people as you can, try the bikes out, see what suits your needs and then go for it.

Actually, I'd love to be at your stage now!

Advertisement