Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Xbox won't read games - solution found.

• 11-08-2010 9:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭

Use my xbox nearly every day, the hardware itself has always worked perfectly. Anyway, went on last night, signed in, flicked back to where you select 'play game' on the dash, all it said was 'open tray' (mw2 was inside), so I open and closed tray a couple of times, it would try and read then go back to 'open tray'.

Examined the disc, no scratches. Tried cds, other games and dvds, no joy. Went to xbox support online and followed some steps to try and solve it such as clear memory cache, remove hard disc. None worked so I though that's it, send it away to get fixed.

Decided to search the net a bit more, found a comment somone had left on a youtube video (can't seem to find at the moment), with somone saying that the laser housing is most likely out of alignment and to fix it what you a should do is:take game out, turn off xbox, hold xbox about 6 inches over a cushion (on button side down) and drop it!

It bloody worked, I sh1t you not!

I was a bit scared of doing it at first, but it worked.

I accept no responsability, for people doing stupid things like throwing their xbox around the house!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

why not just adjust the pot on your drive or change the laser :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

"adjust the pot on your drive" - I do not know what this means.

Change the laser - it was easier, cheaper and quicker to drop it.

Works perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I took mine apart, hoovered it and put it back together, that seemed to work :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Most random one I've tried was putting tape inside the drive, because my tray was stuck inside (looked like it was catching). Put it back together and has been working a treat since!

Wouldn't be rushing to drop my Xbox to 'fix' it, but it's good that it's working again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Having only posted a thread about this same problem earlier, I'ma go ahead and try out your solution OP.

• Advertisement

Did it work, Tangy?

Haha, I'm quietly dying to know..

Where's the popcorn emoticon when you need it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Yes it fuckin did!
    I dropped my 360 onto my bed last night, hooked it up.. and now its working fine :) thanks for answering about the controllers.

from here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055997636

edit: eeeeeeeh.. or not :/

edit again: confused.. to the fuckin max, it wouldnt play but now it will.. Im tradin this yoke in against a new slim :)

mmm... no problems again with mine again. Don't know, but I think I will continue to use violence against my xbox if it won't behave! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

Xbox sure has queer solutions to popular issues.

ie- the towel technique when dealing with 3 red lights of death. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Towel trick is a terrible idea, most times it won't work at all and if it does it'll be back soon!

The only way it 'works' is if you trade it to HMV or wherever and they power it up once as a 'test'.

And they're only wierd/queer because the most common ones were stumbled on by kids!

Advertisement