Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asp.net source code management

Options
  • 11-08-2010 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've just started in a new place and there's no source code management system in place. I'm used to using team foundation server for this, which is obviously not an option given it's price tag.

What would be the best open source repository to use for source code? Is it still the Tortoise flavour of SVN?

Thanks,
    John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

SVN's a popular FOSS option alright, I've used it in a few different work environments with good results. Re clients, yeah, TortoiseSVN is probably the most popular one for Windows (TortoiseSVN is just a client which connects to an SVN server - you could just use the command line client if you want, some folks do). There are a couple of Visual Studio integrated clients too, if you prefer that - might bring you closer to what you were used to with the TFS tools.

Main thing is that you make sure there's source control of some sort put in place ASAP. Personally speaking, coming across a software development team that didn't use any version control system at all would raise a few flags for me. Just something to keep in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

SVN's a popular FOSS option alright, I've used it in a few different work environments with good results. Re clients, yeah, TortoiseSVN is probably the most popular one for Windows (TortoiseSVN is just a client which connects to an SVN server - you could just use the command line client if you want, some folks do). There are a couple of Visual Studio integrated clients too, if you prefer that - might bring you closer to what you were used to with the TFS tools.

Main thing is that you make sure there's source control of some sort put in place ASAP. Personally speaking, coming across a software development team that didn't use any version control system at all would raise a few flags for me. Just something to keep in mind.

Hi,

Many thanks for your response. I'll go with Tortoise SVN so. Hopefully there's a plugin for VS 2008.

About not having any source code management in place, yes I completely agree. It's a bit alarming to say the least :eek:

It's a very small team, only 3 developers so I'm hoping that if I can get it up and running it will be adopted by all of us. If not, well at least I have myself backed up...

Thanks once again for the info,
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

Re VS clients, there's two main ones that I know of;
    http://www.visualsvn.com/visualsvn/ (a commercial one)
    http://ankhsvn.open.collab.net/ (a FOSS one)

Never used either of them, prefer TortoiseSVN myself, but I gather they're the two main ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Re VS clients, there's two main ones that I know of;
    http://www.visualsvn.com/visualsvn/ (a commercial one)
    http://ankhsvn.open.collab.net/ (a FOSS one)

Never used either of them, prefer TortoiseSVN myself, but I gather they're the two main ones.

Thanks very much, just installed ankhsvn and it seems to be doing the job nicely :)

Now... to show the boss how much of an essential piece of kit it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

Hi, I have used Sourcesafe, SVN, TFS and im now using Mercurial.

Sourcesafe was terrible.

SVN was fine but we did seem to have problems with repositorys getting corrupted and that infernal cleanup message. As a single dev i found it great but for some reason the team had loads of small issues.

TFS is what i use at work now. Its fine and it does the job, the issues i have with it are not TFS issues but more related to network slowness. Rolling back changesets is a pain. With the right mergin/branch pattern it seems to work great.

Mercurial is what i use at home for my own projects and have found it great so far although i havent used it for merging or branching yet but i do like the distributed model it uses. VisualHG is an add on for it i believe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement