Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NOTICE: KINGDOM CHALLENGE AUG 15th CANCELLED

• 11-08-2010 10:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭

Just in case some of you were thinking of doing this, and dont visit the Earl Of Desmond CC site.

' It is with regret that we have to cancel our upcoming Kingdom Challenge that was to be held on August 15th. After a commitee meeting it was decided that due to heavy traffic that weekend in the Dingle area and in the interest of safety for the cyclist we were left with no option but to cancel our event.'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Bump

Final Bump just in case !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭adodsk

A mate and I decided not to waste the "day passes" we received from our better halves and headed down to Tralee yesterday regardless.

One of our better decisions! What a fantastic ride.

The road conditions were pretty good generally and the weather was perfect - sunny without being too hot and not a puff of wind. Perfect for the climb over Conor Pass and following the coast. Massive views round Slea Head and Dunquin - crystal waters sparkling below us. Stopped for lunch in Ballyferriter and by the time we got to Dingle another wise decision was made - forget doing the Conor Pass again and just head on through Anascaul and Camp back to Tralee.

Good call by the organisers not to run the event at this time - whilst the roads were lovely and quiet early on, by the time we reached Ventry the 52-seater coaches were starting to pass and inevitably halting in front of us at the various narrow road sections on Slea Head as cars tried to pass. Also the maniac high-speed driving by some homeward-bound drivers on the (by now very busy) main road from Camp-Tralee on the way back didn't make for the most pleasant experience.

I'd thoroughly recommend the route though if you're ever in the area!

Glad to hear you made the most of it, it was a spectacular day, and being able to go around Slea head without being battered by headwinds is a rare event.

TBH going back over the Conor Pass is nearly easier than facing the long rolling stretches to Annascaul, but the traffic on the Pass gets absolutely nuts, so flying descents are nearly impossible apart from early morning.

We'll have to arrange VIP passes for you and your mate next year ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Murph100 wrote: »
    Glad to hear you made the most of it, it was a spectacular day, and being able to go around Slea head without being battered by headwinds is a rare event.

TBH going back over the Conor Pass is nearly easier than facing the long rolling stretches to Annascaul, but the traffic on the Pass gets absolutely nuts, so flying descents are nearly impossible apart from early morning.

We'll have to arrange VIP passes for you and your mate next year ! :)

Will this be rescheduled?
    There was a gang of 150 or so of us in the Tour de Munster +guests that went over the pass on Saturday. Now we had motorcycle outriders and vans to help. Still some cars just wanted to get down the mountain regardless. Didnt hear of any incidents however (unless suffering is an incident).

I am thinking that the only way to get a lot of cyclists over safely is for all cyclists to get to base together then close both sides of the mountain for sat 90 minutes to allow everyone up and down. That would be fun.

In saying that despite the driving rain on Saturday, I had the entire road to myself on the desent. Which was nice (and necessesary given how badly I took some of the turns).

• Advertisement

Was planning to join in with you guys on Sat but work had other ideas.

I dont really see any chance of the Kindom Challenge being rescheduled this year. The Chaingang have their Conor Pass sportive on Sat 18th Sept, so they were already a bit too close to each other IMO.

I think a better date next year, traffic wise is going to be the logical outcome, we'll keep you posted.

I take it we'll be seeing you on the 18th Sept though !

Advertisement