Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World AG Triathlon Champs, Budapest 2010

• 11-08-2010 10:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭

Seeing as there are loads of comments appearing i training logs i thought it might be an idea to start a thread to do with the sprint and Olympic World AGs so we can easily find it should we wish to do so in the future.

I was there last year so ive seen most of the course (thwe run has some changes). Here's some info on it i had in MCOS's log:

That bay is nice and calm so the swim should be fast enough. The bike is very flat, if there's any wind at all you'll feel it though as its quite exposed, particularly the further south it goes. There are a fair few 180 degree turns though which will slow things up and there were some open cracks in the road last year, hoping they've been repaired. Aside from that its a nice surface. The run will be deceptive. Its largely a different course than last years duathlons but if it goes down by the river again you'll have to climb a bit to come back up and over the bridge.

Maps can be found here - http://budapest.triathlon.org/en/athlete_info/age_group/courses/
    Information here - http://budapest.triathlon.org/en/athlete_info/age_group/race_information/

So apart from shotgunmcos, nmomadic, el director and myself is anyone else heading over? I cant wait. Im heading 7th to 17th (Ryanair) so im having a nice kickback for a few days after my race!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

We can stop hijacking Mcos' log now.
    I'm really looking forward to it now too. I'm out from the 7th to the 14th on ryanair aswell. I see that their weight restriction on bikes has gone up to 30kg now which is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 debinz

Hey, nice to see other people who are going to Budapest. I'm heading over for the sprint tri and having a 3 week holiday after. Not looking forward to racing in such hot temperatures. Compared to New Zealand, we get negative temps here overnight compared to about 30 in Budapest!

debinz wrote: »
    Hey, nice to see other people who are going to Budapest. I'm heading over for the sprint tri and having a 3 week holiday after. Not looking forward to racing in such hot temperatures. Compared to New Zealand, we get negative temps here overnight compared to about 30 in Budapest!
    We're in the same boat. Christchurch weather is about the same as here. Start time is early so hopefully it won't be too hot or more importantly hopefully the water won't be too hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I don't think temperatures in September are all that high. Mid 20's seems the norm although last year they had a higher than average September.

Thanks for the news on the bike weight restriction! I can now rest a little easier! I was touch and go with the 20kg so now i can pack whatever i want into it!

Thats some stay debinz! I wish i could hang around that long, its a beautiful city!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good news about the weight restriction! One less thing to worry about :cool: Maybe I can get the foot pump in there too now. Might be worth practicing the roll and 2 stroke B/S for the tight turns around those bouys

• Advertisement

mmmm im afraid to say Ryanair are playing people on the 20/30kg. What you pay for is 20kg but you will be charged extra beyond 20kg. What they are actually saying is the maximum for a bike is 30kg. i.e. they will not even board a bike before 30kg but they will certainly charge you moe from 20.1 to 30kg! See post from this poor guy on tritalk who got stung!! - http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=71566

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

Flying out on the Thurs the 9th and back on the Tues the 14th, really looking forward to it, fingers crossed re injury. Regarding the the roll and 2 stroke B/S for the tight turns, I actually practiced them everyday in Cyprus and they are actually really easy. However I didn't have hundreds of other triathletes clambering over me for the same turn!! :D

Bambaata wrote: »
    mmmm im afraid to say Ryanair are playing people on the 20/30kg. What you pay for is 20kg but you will be charged extra beyond 20kg. What they are actually saying is the maximum for a bike is 30kg. i.e. they will not even board a bike before 30kg but they will certainly charge you moe from 20.1 to 30kg! See post from this poor guy on tritalk who got stung!! - http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=71566

Hmmm

The fee's page on ryanair seems to suggest that 30kg is ok.

Sports Equipment* Fee charged per Item/ Per One Way Flight A maximum weight of 20kg per item
    Bikes 30kg per item

http://www.ryanair.com/ie/questions/table-of-fees

They were talking about it on the cycling forum recently
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055954526&page=3&highlight=ryanair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Great to see this thread. That's an impressive Boards presence going to be there. I'm looking forward to reading all the taper madness posts, and the race reports of course! Good luck with the last few weeks of training. Hard to believe it's so soon-spent a little time watching the Kitzbuhel race at the weekend and they were all talk about Budapest just around the corner.

Hey Debinz, will you be representing Ireland or the mighty Silver Fern??

Only 26 more days to go :D Yay
    Ryanair's hidden charges :mad::mad: Boo

A few hard sessions in the next 2 weeks and then I'll be wrapping up in cotton wool!

• Advertisement

im going up to sunday week with my build leaving me two weeks of a taper to the race. looking forward to easing back!

im going up to sunday week with my build leaving me two weeks of a taper to the race. looking forward to easing back!

Similar. I was going to ease back next week, but with the injury I'll extend it a week and back off after the DCT. Just 24 days to go :D Need to pull the finger out and sort accomodation

The start lists are on the website now. http://budapest.triathlon.org/start_lists/

I've been looking at the athlone results and there's a few of the brits I reckon I can beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

The way you are going Nomadic you will give Conor Murphy a run for it yet, it will take a good man to beat him the way he swims and runs

catweazle wrote: »
    The way you are going Nomadic you will give Conor Murphy a run for it yet, it will take a good man to beat him the way he swims and runs
    He's no slouch on the bike either. Hopefully he can win it.

always nice to see your name on the start list and also in the right category! So flights booked, bike box booked, apartment booked, registration complete. all i need to do now is train!

Bit late to start training now kid ;)

I got my team gear today. Everything fits thatfully. The tshirt fit is a bit wierd. Short arms and long body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

All the best for this one, boys...

You've all put in a serious shift this season, and I reckon Boards TC will be ripping it up on the day:)

Its a scorching 12C in Budapest today :(

Increasing to about 22 over the coming days though which is a bit nicer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Best of luck to all doing this at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Yep, just want to say best of luck to you all. Do yourselves proud.

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Best of luck to all doing this at the weekend.

Cheers. Its actually next week ;) After giving out for teh last 2 weeks about Ryanair bike box 20kg+ charges my OH reminds me last night that we are flying with Aer Lingus :o

Cheers. Its actually next week ;) After giving out for teh last 2 weeks about Ryanair bike box 20kg+ charges my OH reminds me last night that we are flying with Aer Lingus :o
    Aer Lingus have a weight limit of 15kg! and they only take 6 bikes per aeroplane so make sure you get it booked on. What day are you flying out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Cheers. Its actually next week

Oops. Bambaata confused me with his post about the weather.

The temperature of the Danube at Lágymányosi Öböl is currently 21 Celsius

Looks like we'll be good to go with wetsuits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

After giving out for teh last 2 weeks about Ryanair bike box 20kg+ charges my OH reminds me last night that we are flying with Aer Lingus :o

Priceless. Im hoping you didnt even think about getting off that soap box 'thats not the point, Ryanair are still a disgrace <finger pointed in the air>' ;)

Lads, before the week whips by and you guys are all flying to Budapest - wanted to wish everyone travelling the very best of luck out there. Between the training logs, race reports, cries in the dark regarding injuries and niggles Ive thoroughly enjoyed the build up. Enjoy the trip, the experience and the obligatory post race sessions where next years plans for world domination will undoubtedly be hatched and then immediately forgotten with the next pint !

Good luck !

p.s one more thing - buy/borrow/steal a pedal spanner and take the pedals off BEFORE doing anything else when prepping the bikes for the bike box.

Thanks interested!

Last day at work today for 2 weeks! Cant wait. Havent had an extended trip abroad in a long time. Got my bike box last night from Paul at swimbikerun.ie, boarding card is printed, forint collected from the bank so all that leaves is actually packing tonight!

MCOS, have you already booked the bike on board? You need to ring them in advance. Anyone else flying Ryanair tomorrow at 16:00?

Seems a a fair bit of rain on the way over there too. This rain we have now is heading that direction :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Just want wish all of you the very best of luck for the weekend.

I've been following most of your logs for the year and all your hard work and dedication will pay off over the next few days

• Advertisement

interested wrote: »
    Priceless. Im hoping you didnt even think about getting off that soap box 'thats not the point, Ryanair are still a disgrace <finger pointed in the air>' ;)

Lads, before the week whips by and you guys are all flying to Budapest - wanted to wish everyone travelling the very best of luck out there. Between the training logs, race reports, cries in the dark regarding injuries and niggles Ive thoroughly enjoyed the build up. Enjoy the trip, the experience and the obligatory post race sessions where next years plans for world domination will undoubtedly be hatched and then immediately forgotten with the next pint !

Good luck !

p.s one more thing - buy/borrow/steal a pedal spanner and take the pedals off BEFORE doing anything else when prepping the bikes for the bike box.

LOL I'm a muppet. Yes I stood on that box with the finger in the air! Alas we are booked on Ryanair!! A muppet I am but ah I was right and she was wrong ...tidies the fact away for another day... !!:)

Thanks re: the pedals interested, never taken a bike abroad with me before. Thanks for the tip
    Thanks interested!

Last day at work today for 2 weeks! Cant wait. Havent had an extended trip abroad in a long time. Got my bike box last night from Paul at swimbikerun.ie, boarding card is printed, forint collected from the bank so all that leaves is actually packing tonight!

MCOS, have you already booked the bike on board? You need to ring them in advance. Anyone else flying Ryanair tomorrow at 16:00?

Seems a a fair bit of rain on the way over there too. This rain we have now is heading that direction :-(

Me too, small window at work here today to log into boards. All excited too although my throat is sore and sinus driving me mad. I'll be dosed up and remedied up on that flight tomorrow (my OH will make sure of it) really looking forward to this experience and the trip in general. :)

Oh and on Ryanair T&Cs it explicitly stated that its a 30kg allowance for bikes, happy days the wetsuit and the whole shebang will be going into the box to buffer my baby... I'll have their T&Cs in my hand in case they try and pull a fast one on me...

All excited too although my throat is sore and sinus driving me mad. I'll be dosed up and remedied up on that flight tomorrow (my OH will make sure of it) really looking forward to this experience and the trip in general. :)
    Let me know where your sitting on the plane, I'll be at the opposite end.:)
    Oh and on Ryanair T&Cs it explicitly stated that its a 30kg allowance for bikes, happy days the wetsuit and the whole shebang will be going into the box to buffer my baby... I'll have their T&Cs in my hand in case they try and pull a fast one on me...
    Yea seems to be the case. http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=71566&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30&sid=b85bfa5958c36999becda3c807c217e4

I'd say the ryanair staff don't even know themselves as its just been changed recently I think.

I'm making use of my new lidl bike workstand and doing some final cleaning on the bike. I'd say there'll be some amount of bikes on this flight tomorrow.

Thanks to everybody for the best wishes guys, we will all do our best to represent our country, families and perhaps most important of all-boards, proud.

Only lately allowed myself day dream and visualise the whole Budapest thing and I am so excited now :) sometimes it is easy to forget that you will be representing your country and as I have never done this for anything before (except n athlone) I am filled with pride and honour. Sorry if that sounds corny but that's the way :rolleyes:

I'm not flying until Thurs myself, had to ask lots of teachers for lots of favours but thankfully thats worked out. See ye over there boys and thanks again everyone, thanks interested for the pedal advice.

O and damn u nomadic-I wanted a bike stand but they were all gone :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Best of luck guys. Long detailed reprots now you hear:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Good Luck everyone. Do us proud :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Very best of luck lads
    No bother to any of ye, there have been some great performances from ye already this year just go out and do yourselves proud
    Don't forget to enjoy the craic afterwards as well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I will go in here as well, will save me the embarrassment of leaving some well wishes out.

A big tri weekend for boardies between Budapest, Loughrea and Kenmare, looking forward to all the race reports this weekend.......and probably mid next week for the Budapest boys by the time they sober up ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

DustyBin wrote: »
    Very best of luck lads
    No bother to any of ye, there have been some great performances from ye already this year just go out and do yourselves proud
    Don't forget to enjoy the craic afterwards as well :)

+1 to that. Have a blast lads and enjoy the experience. Go Ireland and go boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Good luck guys ,hope you have a blast if nothing else . Get them before they get you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Best of luck everyone. Give her holly! :cool: Looking forward to all the race reports after the event. ENJOY!!! Wear the green with pride. :cool:

Thanks all. Unfortunately the weather here is poor. Overcast and just mild temp wise. Just after a short bike workout with nomadic and heading for a run now. For some reason my left hammy feels as though it has cramped. Probably something to do with the flight. Hopefully it eases out. Light log now might help

• Advertisement

Light log now might help

assume you meant that a light jog might help rather than anything else ;)
    re: hamstring ... the bike saddle height hasnt changed on you when moving the bike has it - or is slightly off centre ?

Anyhow ... good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Best of luck to all you guys out in Budapest. Will be thinking of ye on the day.

All the hard work is done. Its time to pull the trigger now :)

interested wrote: »
    assume you meant that a light jog might help rather than anything else ;)
    re: hamstring ... the bike saddle height hasnt changed on you when moving the bike has it - or is slightly off centre ?

Anyhow ... good luck

Haha yeah 'jog' not log! I forgot my laptop charger so using the wifi on the phone which makes spelling mistakes easy! No I hadn't even been out training. It's either the flight or I must have twisted it in my sleep. Woke up with it feeling this way! And I hadn't trained in the two days previous! Didn't feel good on the run there! Feels like it cramped or something. Gonna get the rolling pin at it now!

Haha yeah 'jog' not log! I forgot my laptop charger so using the wifi on the phone which makes spelling mistakes easy! No I hadn't even been out training. It's either the flight or I must have twisted it in my sleep. Woke up with it feeling this way! And I hadn't trained in the two days previous! Didn't feel good on the run there! Feels like it cramped or something. Gonna get the rolling pin at it now!

Good stuff - hopefully you'll be as right as rain come the race.

Well i'm happy to say my hamstring is feeling 99% today. Didn't feel it at all on this morning's run, even on the 50m sprints. The weather is poxy unfortunately! Its drizzling non-stop! Cooler than home too! All that worry about warm conditions is out the window. The danube has 0 visibility in it. Can't see 1 inch in front. Trying to draft will be impossible. I couldn't even see bubbles of a guy right in front of me yesterday!

Well i'm happy to say my hamstring is feeling 99% today. Didn't feel it at all on this morning's run, even on the 50m sprints. The weather is poxy unfortunately! Its drizzling non-stop! Cooler than home too! All that worry about warm conditions is out the window. The danube has 0 visibility in it. Can't see 1 inch in front. Trying to draft will be impossible. I couldn't even see bubbles of a guy right in front of me yesterday!

It really was much harder than a dizzle-down right down pour all day! Felt so sorry for the GF. Cycling around the city is mad in this weather, I went to register this morn and my carbon brakes just don't work in this weather, they are a little worn and I was almost a little dead! :eek: Misjudged a red light and shot straight through, thankfully all I got was abuse from pedestrians and drivers alike :rolleyes:

Anyway good to be here and it has finally stopped raining tonight. Did a recce of the swim and did a small bit on the bike, 4/5k run with 6 60m sprints thrown in. Feeling good, and looking forward to the AG sprint and elite men tomorrow.

http://live.triathlon.org/2010_dextro_energy_triathlon_-_itu_triathlon_world_championship_grand_final/you can watch the sprint age groupers finishing guys!

Conor Murphy World Champ in 59:07!!

Bloody miserable morning over here. Finished in 1.08.58, 26th out of 46 in the AG. Some great performances from the irish with a few medals to show for today. Off to watch the elites now...

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

nomadic wrote: »
    Bloody miserable morning over here. Finished in 1.08.58, 26th out of 46 in the AG. Some great performances from the irish with a few medals to show for today. Off to watch the elites now...

not a bad time nomadic , buzz must be great with the crew overthere, 3 irish lads in top 10 in the overall male AG incl the winner, some great individual performances in the female ag also .
    Conditions tough this am ?

The weather cleared today and we had perfect conditions. The bike was 5k short imagine! Disadvantage if cycling is your strong discipline which it has been for me this year. Anyway.....despite the 5k short coming I still can't get over my time, 2:05:54. Good enough for 412 out of 961 and 76th out of 107 for AG. Happy days :) Will report in my log when I can.

Chatting to the lads after and it was a happy camp overall :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement