Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Cards

Options
  • 11-08-2010 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hey Folks,

Heading off to New Zealand in cotober and just wondering what credit cards backpackers out there use. I have my irish AIB one, do people take out one with a NZ bank? I've set up my NZ bank account already are they easy to get?

Any feedback wwould be great,

Thanks,

Mac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Out of curiosity how did you setup your account already?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mac_09

USIT put me in touch with traveltowork.com.au and they set it up. Just have to go to an ASB branch when i get over and collect my ATM card (prints in about an hour)

Don't think its too much hassel setting a bank account up over there but I just got it offered to me with my WHV so said why not!

Ah did you do your visa through usit?? I just did it myself and I'll sort the account out when I get there.

As regards the credit card I don't massively intend to use mine so I'll just keep my hands on my Irish one. In order to do that I have to find a bank account that doesn't charge very much to transfare money to my Irish account. Don't know how doable this is, I'll have to talk to my bank here.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mac_09

Yeah got mine through USIT, although you can still set up bank account on traveltowork website if you didnt use USIT.

Yeah prob best to just use Irish credit card alright, just be handy booking hostels and what not with a new zealand one, like you said transfering money might be a pain in teh a**!

I'll just wait till I get out there, won't be in a massive rush to get one setup. There is no harm in tryin to get a credit card out there. If you don't ask you won't get, and yea would probably be alot handier and you won't be charged commission rates. Worse case scenario you could get one of those prepay credit cards that you topup with money, could be a good idea. Not sure if you can get them in nz though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

C0N0R wrote: »
    I'll just wait till I get out there, won't be in a massive rush to get one setup. There is no harm in tryin to get a credit card out there. If you don't ask you won't get, and yea would probably be alot handier and you won't be charged commission rates. Worse case scenario you could get one of those prepay credit cards that you topup with money, could be a good idea. Not sure if you can get them in nz though.

You can't get a CC in NZ unless you are a permanent resident unfortunately. You can in Oz though, I have to use my Australian one here...alot of banks here dont have visa debit either and the fees on the pre pay are crazy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

mac_09 wrote: »
    Yeah prob best to just use Irish credit card alright, just be handy booking hostels and what not with a new zealand one, like you said transfering money might be a pain in teh a**!

An Irish credit card will work fine but paying it off is a pain in the ass. When I was there I had an AIB card. I thought I could wander into any bank and pay it off but it had to be paid in an AIB branch or online which is no use if the money is in your hand.

I got a card through ANZ pretty easily but it required a bit of creative box ticking when I was applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 oooomy

ASB charge 20 nz to transfer money to your irish bank account.
    You can do it all online though which helps. Before you leave though get your IBAN number and swift code for your irish bank account.

Advertisement