Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instrument in an Apt

Options
  • 11-08-2010 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi all
    I've been thinking of taking up an instrument but what has been preventing me is that I live in an apartment and I really think one of my neighbours might murder me if they'd to listen to me practice!

Anyways, I did grade 8 piano about 15 yrs ago then had to move teachers who was very critical of my technique and just had me doing scales and exercises. While I understand that this is important I was just looking to enjoy my playing and this really took from my enjoyment so I only lasted a year and then gave it up completely.

So basically i'm trying to decide would I like to go back to playing the piano or start something else.. and from there my dilemma starts as I would need something "silent" hence why an electric piano could work but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I really good quality Digital piano could be better than some pianos, but they'll never be the same.

To be honest, all it ever really effects is the sound and technique (keyboards can be more forgiving).

If its just for the fun of it, I'd get a keyboard.

However.....what other instruments are you thinking of? You can get mutes of string instruments, all electric ones can be jacked into headphones. Hell, I play drums and I muffle them! Most of the time, there is a compromising solution. :)

EDIT: Also forgot you could get a good piano with a quality practice pedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

EDIT: Also forgot you could get a good piano with a quality practice pedal.

Or a 'silent piano'... http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/Catalog/Catalog_GSXOXX.html?CTID=202800

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭CCCP

what2do wrote: »
    Hi all
    I've been thinking of taking up an instrument but what has been preventing me is that I live in an apartment and I really think one of my neighbours might murder me if they'd to listen to me practice!

Anyways, I did grade 8 piano about 15 yrs ago then had to move teachers who was very critical of my technique and just had me doing scales and exercises. While I understand that this is important I was just looking to enjoy my playing and this really took from my enjoyment so I only lasted a year and then gave it up completely.

So basically i'm trying to decide would I like to go back to playing the piano or start something else.. and from there my dilemma starts as I would need something "silent" hence why an electric piano could work but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Electric guitar and headphones??

Doshea3 wrote: »

First I've heard of them! :eek:

I want one!!

They're brilliant. A friend of mine has a silent Kawai grand in her apartment. I played a Yamaha upright in Chappell's in London and it's amazing.

• Advertisement

What sort of prices are we talking about with an upright?

Not that expensive...think they retail for about €1000 extra than the equivalent non-silent upright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Not that expensive...

:)
    think they retail for about €1000

:D
    extra

Dang.

HA! I read that too.....had a mini heart attack!

Still....its mighty impressive, I'd love to play one and see what it feels like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

A "digital acoustic piano"? :p

• Advertisement

Still....its mighty impressive, I'd love to play one and see what it feels like.

I'll tell you what it feels like. It feels well sexy.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

First I've heard of them! :eek:

I want one!!

:eek: Me too! I want it now!

Advertisement