Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf Coats

Options
  • 11-08-2010 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone knows if there are such things as calf coats or rugs ?? I have a 4 month old calf who had pnemonia for the first month of her life and to be honest she hasnt been completely right since :( we want to get her one before the weather turns cold again. Iv tried online but they only seem to be available in New Zealand for some reason.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I would try horse tack shops as they sell foal rugs and im sure they can put you in contact with someone who makes them.
    I might know someone who makes the foal rugs but i need to ask someone i know the name etc so ill try and come back to you if i manage to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Hee hee!!! I thought you were going to put her down and make a coat of her hide! Must read things properly first...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Sue85

Thank you andreac, that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I used a Shire Foal Rug for Fritzie the Calf, most tack shops sell them in different sizes. The one Fritzie wore would be too small for a 4 months old or else I'd give it to you.

32475_404788220888_169411475888_4167718_3385141_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Actually thinking more on it, a pony rug would probably suit it more than a foal as foals are a lot lighter in bone and frame than cattle so you would need something with a bit more room in it.
    Whereabouts are you based?

• Advertisement

EGAR wrote: »
    I used a Shire Foal Rug for Fritzie the Calf, most tack shops sell them in different sizes. The one Fritzie wore would be too small for a 4 months old or else I'd give it to you.

32475_404788220888_169411475888_4167718_3385141_n.jpg
    Thats very nice of you Egar.. Fritzie is beautiful but yes I think il have to go for a bigger size if I want to get the winter out of it.

andreac wrote: »
    Actually thinking more on it, a pony rug would probably suit it more than a foal as foals are a lot lighter in bone and frame than cattle so you would need something with a bit more room in it.
    Whereabouts are you based?
    Andrea im based in Galway county.. thats a very good point, a pony one may be the best option. I think il measure her up and go to a tack shop and see what my options are.. Im probably better off going for something a bit bigger. Thanks so much

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

You'd probably be best to get a small pony rug rather than a calf or foal jacket/coat as it would be a better size and will last for ages. Also you'll probably have more of a selection between light/heavy/water proof rugs to choose from.

For the time being, if you're stuck you could use something like a picnic rug which will help in an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Sue85 wrote: »
    Andrea im based in Galway county.. thats a very good point, a pony one may be the best option. I think il measure her up and go to a tack shop and see what my options are.. Im probably better off going for something a bit bigger. Thanks so much

Measure her from the middle of her chest back to the middle of her buttock, horse rugs are measured in feet and inches as opposed to horse and pony sizes. You should ask for an outdoor rug which is breathable (she'd get cold very quickly if sweat can't evaporate away) When you put it on the straps cross over each other (the front strap goes on to the back attachment on the opposite side and you should be able to get your fist in comfortably between her belly and the point where the straps cross over each other. If the rug has leg straps I'd just ditch them. On size go for the bigger size after your measurements to give her a bit of room to grow. You should see what I mean when you see the rug ;)

Thanks guys all your comments have helped :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement