Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holidaying in Tramore

Options
  • 11-08-2010 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hello all, Myself and extended family will be visiting Tramore for the next two weeks. We have a few self catering houses booked and are looking for some advice as follows.

1, Best places to eat locally, pubs etc, good food at good prices.
    2, Best take aways, chip shops, Chinese, thai, Pizza, Indian etc.
    3, Local things to do, we know there are the amuzement parks but stuff off the beaten track, that kids and adults would like.
    4, Best place to have a few drinks in the evenings with the kids along, they are well behaved. Somewhere with entertainment or a kids area would be perfect.
    5, Just noting the post on the Beach. Is it safe to swim in now, we were planning on doing some surfing?
    6, Late night venues for the few that want them.

A lot of requestes there but if you can answer any or all of them it would really be appreciated, it would be great to have some local advice. Thanks in advance. M.:)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

ill refrain fro giving any advice , as to do so would probably end up with a moderator banning me for absolutely nothing. like what usually happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Puzzle35

Thanks anyway, should we possibly eat in Waterford City or is that a no no too :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Hey..
    Firstly, have a look on Discover Tramore for a range of tourism information. Its an easy to use website with plenty of information from places to eat, and things to do. Maps are also available. Its my own website, im from Tramore so can help you out anyway. The events guide will be updated today with a range of live music in Tramore, just waiting on the businesses to send me their information. There is a mobile version of the site also.

To answer specific questions;

1) Tramore has many fine restaurants from The Esquire, The Doneraile Restaurant in the Grand Hotel, The Vee Bistro and Esquire. Not forgetting, the very popular and recently refurbished and under new management, The Sea Horse Tavern. Consistently popular over the years in Tramore and since the refurbishment and new management, even better.

2) For fish and chips, try Tony's or Dooleys. There is also Massinos(I think its called) on the Promenade which is very nice. Tony's also do Pizza, Delivery and you can call for collection which I find useful. Dooleys on Main St does collection afaik. Chinese, you have Dynasty being my personal favourite across from the Sea Horse. Dedicated Pizza - Coney Island and Lidos are very popular.

3) Head into Waterford City and visit the House of Waterford Crystal. Its a must visit. Take some of the guided tours around the city - its Irelands oldest and full of history. Out by Ardkeen you can also do bowling in City Limits, for adults and kids.

Tramore itself has the likes of Laserblast, Pirates Cove, and the Pottery Place all indoor "adventure centers" you could call them. Very good - Laserblast is always good fun for kids and adults alike, with Pirates Cove probably more suited for kids with glow in the dark bowling and the likes.

Horse riding is a little bit out, but you could consider that - Lake Tour Stables.

Take the South East Coastal Drive and maybe do Paintballing in Wexford? Your here for two weeks, so go explore the South East if you have a car. Also visit the little towns and villages along the Copper Coast Drive just outside Tramore. All these maps are on the Discover Tramore website.

4) If your bringing kids, probably best to stick with Duffys Bar in The Grand Hotel. Live music most nights and they also run a Kids Club during some of the weekdays. Tramore is host to a lot more pubs of course, but I think kids would need to be out by 9 or so. Some include The Vic, Robinsons, and St. Ledger. All in the town centre. The Sea Horse has live music and has a bar also.

5) Always safe to swim and surf - its the most popular part of visiting Tramore! When going surfing, the instructors will only bring you out when its best for everyone. I recommend Tramore Surf Shop in the Pavillon if your going surfing, very personal and friendly service run by the Butler Family for years.

6) Waterford City has loads such as Harveys, the Forum and Escape. Tramore has the HiB and The Baldy Man. There are a few other late pubs and a small club around that area also.

Hope the information was of use. Where you staying?

EDIT::
    Just saw your other post - yes, Waterford City has lots of great places to eat for both lunch and dinner. If you want recommendations, tell me what type of food your looking for and ill do so based on that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Puzzle35

Hey Sully, thanks so much for all that info. Plenty there to keep us all going and will take your advice re driving around, would like to spend plenty of time in Tramore itself though and visit Dunmore, Waterford etc. Will visit the Crystal Centre and take the tours (hadn't thought of that at all). Thanks again for all the great information, I'm off to visit your website now:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Another place I thought of is the Waterford & Suir Valley Heritage railway line::
    http://www.wsvrailway.ie/

The maps we have of the Copper Coast and South East Coastal guide should be perfect for driving. Also, I forgot we also have the Dolmen Drive and Tramore beach guide map - both other useful maps for you.

If you need help finding any of these or any additional info on this or anything around the SE - let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

ah here goes. if i was you id only use it as a base. there are much nicer places than tramore. 15 minutes on the coast road ould bring you to the magical little place of dunmore east. what a lovely little village.id spend most of my time there if i was you. take syou away from tramore. its way too commercial.

tom thum wrote: »
    ah here goes. if i was you id only use it as a base. there are much nicer places than tramore. 15 minutes on the coast road ould bring you to the magical little place of dunmore east. what a lovely little village.id spend most of my time there if i was you. take syou away from tramore. its way too commercial.

Oh yes, Dunmore East. Lovely place, very small little village compared to Tramore but definitely a place to visit. Not somewhere I would stay for two weeks mind, but you cant come to this side of the country and not visit Dunmore East.

Excellent choice Tom, excellent choice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Miss Dymph

If you pop into the office of Pebble Beach Holiday Homes, you can browse through local brochures and receive some family discounts on places like the mini farm/petting zoo in Tramore, info on Waterford Crystal and lots of Failte Ireland information booklets. Tramore really is a fun place, a trip to the south east isnt complete without visiting all the surrounding areas but as somewhere to take your family, Tramore really is great fun. I hope you have a lovely time!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

To be honest, anywhere along the copper coast from Woodstown towards Bunmahon are well worth the visit.

If you have kids the park in Bunmahon is great but make sure you dont tell anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MaxCharlie

Coastal drive between Tramore & dungarvan is great - i.e. Annestown, Kilmurrin, Stradbally cove
    Surfing lessons can be done at Bonmahon - where you will also find a kids playground.
    Pub Grub - Kirwans Bar in Kill Village is great value and family friendly

Dungarvan - also great Kids playground (one newly built - sometimes a hit and miss - depending on what local families are visiting it - if you get my drift - but i guess this happens most places) and an older playground.

Coligan Woods (outside Dungarvan) - lovely walks, with kids on bikes - in the woods

JFK Park (outside new ross) is also a must - great for a packed picnic, feed the ducks, go on a miniature train (really small)

Peoples Park in Waterford city also has a great kids playground - this is assuming you kids are under 10

Enjoy you holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

damn i wish now i read all this before we went to waterford last friday, went to tramore beach ,very windy there so we ended up at the funfair, kids had a good time there cos we dont get going to much places so it was abig treat for all of us. we have to go again to see dunmore east..

Advertisement