Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Replacement Equipment Question

Options
  • 11-08-2010 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at buying a UPC Scientific Atlantic 2203 and a Netgear Wireless G WGR614 router off an Ex UPC customer.

If you are an existing UPC customer will this gear work in place of their Cisco gear? or does it need to be configured by UPC for my line specifically?

For example, Is it your line or the equipment that knows if you are on a 10 or 30 Meg line?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

You will have to request them to provision the new modem for your line/account.
    A quick phone to their support should sort you out - you will need the MAC address of the modem..

At the same time - ask them to ensure it's not provisioned on another account - don't want someone using your bandwidth allowance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Technically they may not be theirs to sell, maybe they paid for the router though. I'd call UPC to check will they let you run it. The cable modem identifies itself to the network and is given a config file which specifies the bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I'm looking at buying a UPC Scientific Atlantic 2203 and a Netgear Wireless G WGR614 router off an Ex UPC customer.

If you are an existing UPC customer will this gear work in place of their Cisco gear? or does it need to be configured by UPC for my line specifically?

For example, Is it your line or the equipment that knows if you are on a 10 or 30 Meg line?

-

There is no problem to buy the netgear, but if you buy the modem, technically you are receiving stolen goods, it is the property of UPC.

Advertisement