Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Legislation - Moving Negative Equity To A New Mortgage/House?

Options
  • 11-08-2010 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I heard something about this recently - Some proposed new legislation to allow home-owners to move house and bring their negative equity with them to the next house.

Can anybody give me some more information on this matter please?
    Is this facility already in place, on the way or is it just an idea floating about?

Thanks,
    Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just an idea floating about.

A number of major lenders were said to be preparing to offer this kind of loan facility. However, it would need to be approved by the regulator and since many people would be looking for 130%+ mortgages, I doubt that will be allowed, at least not without some very strict rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

The last I heard the Financial Regulator had advised against the idea.

I would very much doubt it will go ahead.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ulster Bank and EBS have been offering negative equity mortgages in limited circumstances since last April. Other lenders (notably PTSB and BOI) were preparing products in this category, but got nuked by the regulator. As far as I know Ulster Bank will still discuss this product, though they are not openly advertising it. Note: this is only for pre-existing customers.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

smccarrick wrote: »
    Ulster Bank and EBS have been offering negative equity mortgages in limited circumstances since last April. Other lenders (notably PTSB and BOI) were preparing products in this category, but got nuked by the regulator. As far as I know Ulster Bank will still discuss this product, though they are not openly advertising it. Note: this is only for pre-existing customers.

S.

Thanks. I'm with EBS so I'll ask them about it when the time comes.

Advertisement