Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need tips on healthy side salad

Options
  • 11-08-2010 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi all,

Never posted here before but I am under a bit of pressure with getting together a healthy side salad for 10-12 people.

I have a rugby camp this weekend coming where it is a task for each group to prepare and bring with us a healthy side salad which will be scored on presentation. We also have to explain what nuitrional values it has and how it relates to what we need to be consuming as rugby players.

So as a useless rugby player that hasn't a clue about preparing salads can anyone suggest something I could put together? Unfortunately we can't buy something pre prepared as we have to produce the packaging as proof we put it together ourselves.

Thanks for any help inadvance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

What should you be consuming as rugby players, protein, carbs, fat? A mix of everything? If you gave the rough proportions it would be easier to make a salad up to match!

A pretty good one is brocolli, tomatoes, hazelnuts and feta cheese.
    Make a french dressing with a good oil and mix them all together.

Or even some roasted veg (sweet potato, peppers…) mixed in with quinoa and lash in some seeds/nuts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,505 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

olaola wrote: »
    A pretty good one is brocolli, tomatoes, hazelnuts and feta cheese.
    Make a french dressing with a good oil and mix them all together.

Yep very nice. Don't forget to dry roast the hazelnuts in the oven first!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Daragh86

olaola wrote: »
    What should you be consuming as rugby players, protein, carbs, fat? A mix of everything? QUOTE]

It'll be for after training so protein and carbs would be the biggies. Carbs more so than protein.

I'm a complete idiot when it comes to stuff like this, boiled potatoes is about my limit to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

OPTIONAL: Sirlion steak fried and cut into thin strips
    Black eyed beans
    Chopped cos/baby gem lettuce
    Cherry tomatoes
    Spring onions
    Cucumber
    Coriander
    Lime juice
    Olive oil

Lots of protein and very tasty!

Edit: Low carbs though.....could have baby potatoes or similar with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Well pasta salad is an obvious one. And it keeps very well. You could do
    Pasta, pesto, parmesean, pinenuts & chicken?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

A 24 slab of cans of Heineken, obviously!!;)
    (or should I say 'Heino'?)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

Couscous with sweet peppers (Peppadew) and cooked chicken is very nice, dressed with oil and lemon juice, plus of course salt and pepper. Sweet peppers from a jar, though, would that derail the make-it-yourself plan?

Couscous with lemon zest and coriander is great, or couscous with roasted veggies mixed through.

Just follow the instructions on the packet for making up couscous and add your chosen bits and pieces. Roast veggies at 180 degrees for about forty minutes - red onion, green pepper and butternut squash tossed in olive oil with salt and pepper is a nice combo and it looks well. They should be nice and caramelised around the edges at that stage, but if not don't fear, just leave them in there until they are well roasted. Equally, feel free to whip them out if they're done before that time. You could add cooked chicken to that as well for more protein.

Or how about potato salad? Get yourself a bag of baby potatoes. Cut each one in half, then cover with cold water in a pot and add a good shake of salt. Bring to the boil, give them fifteen minutes or so, more if you have loads, either way until they are cooked through. Drain them, and leave them in the pot. Make a vinaigrette with olive oil, white wine vinegar, a teaspoonful of Dijon mustard, salt, pepper and a crushed clove of garlic. Shake the dressing together (in an old jam jar if you don't have a dressing bottle) and pour over the still-hot baby potatoes. Mix gently so all the baby potatoes are soaking up some lovely dressing, then leave to its own devices until time to go. Then, if you have some, chop in a bunch of chives or spring onions (scallions). Tah dah. Not much protein in that, mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Daragh86

Thanks for all the help. Back from the camp now, unable to walk without groaning in pain but good news is that our salad was scored second out of 5. We went with potato salad with a few of the other lads having some strange ideas of what went into a potato salad - mustard and blue cheese??

Anyways presentation got top marks as well as taste but we fell down on our nutional value speech so that dropped us to second unfortunately.

I thought the salad tasted like my rugby sock after 6 hours of training but others thought it did the job.

Thanks again for the help!

Advertisement