Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you leave your dog when you're out?

Options
  • 11-08-2010 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

I have two small dogs. A Jack Russell and a Westie. They sleep in a cage in our living room and they seem to like it since day 1 --they are both about 11 months old. However, I find it a bit sad when we all go out and leave them at home in the cage --max. 4 hours. What should I do? Leave them in the living room with their beds and toys or keep using the cage? Mind you, when the weather is good --a rare thing-- we leave them outside in our garden (fenced and secured so no problem). But when it rains or it's too cold, I don't leave them out because they don't like it. I should add, they are both well-behaved dogs; they haven't ever damaged anything in the house like some dogs that chew everything.

Moreover, where do your dogs sleep at night? Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's no door between our kitchen and sitting room, so I put up a gate between them and the dog stays in the kitchen when we're out. She sleeps there overnight.

The dogs will just sleep mainly when you're out, and having them in the cage obviously means that they can't get into trouble. I would be inclined to leave them in the sitting room with the cage open though - they'll spend most of their time sleeping in the cage, but they also have the option to stretch their legs and potter about too if they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Our two sleep separately as collie was a difficult latecomer and they have never truly "gelled": collie sleeps in the enclosed porch as she is phobic after the years of abuse and has to see out... and she stays there when we are out also.

We tried letting her sleep in the main room, but she got totally wound up and opened all the other doors.

Wee dog ( JRT basset cross) sleeps on whatever chair she can find and stays there when we are out also. On the floor if she wants; she likes to vary it.;) In the main room that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I'd just let them sleep in the sitting room, because they're well behaved.

My dogs are outdoors, and when it rains they just have to stay in their shed, which they hate (not shut in, just they hate the rain), but at least they have each other to keep them company. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

She has the run of the house, then her own bed in my bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

They both stay in kitchen/dining room while we are at work and at night. When we are home they have run of the downstairs of the house, there is a baby gate at the top of the stairs so they cant go into bedrooms!

Off topic - Tilly likes to run to the top of the stairs with her kong, drops it downstairs, waits for it to stop and then runs and get it! Then the fun starts again! The look on her face when it stops moving just beore she goes to get it is so funny, its like its an inconvience to her to have to get it!

Dogs are so much fun! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

When out my dogs have free run of downstairs, had to put a gate on the stairs to stop them getting in my bed, after one of them brought a kong up and ate it in my bed:rolleyes:, (i stuff them with mashed veg and nuts, carrots and mushed veg all over my bed)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If I'm popping out to the shops for an hour they have free run of the sitting room. When I'm going to work, or at night, they're in the garden. They love it out there and run out at breakfast and supper time.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

When I am out for three or four hours I will leave my bonny in the kitchen with the radio on low (for some company for her) , but if I am going to be more than three hours I will ask my brother or parents to mind her until I get back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Our dog never gets left alone for any longer than 2 hours the odd time. Usually we drop him up to my boyfriend's mother if we're out of the house for a while. Otherwise we just leave him in the living room but leave all the doors open so he can have a nosey around the place if he wants. Very rarely he gets left alone though. Not that he cares that much, he'll just sleep anyway but I just don't like the thought of him being alone in case anything happens in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Our Springer Spaniel loves been outside so she is left outside when we go out. Our cocker spaniel (who we had for 5 years before the springer came along and never really gets on with her)) stays inside and lies on the window sill waiting for us to come home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭doggiewalker00

Same place they sleep at night,free to move about down stairs,if im going out for long and i dont get the chance to walk them and tire them out,ill usually leave a few kongs theat i have in the freezer,that usually keeps them occupied and compleatly oblivious to me being gone.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Sindy is left outside in the garden when we're out, it's got a 6 foot wall around it so she's safe and she has a kennel so she goes in there if she wants.
    She loves the garden and I think would feel locked in if we kept her in. She is in with us when we're home, and sleeps on the landing in her bed :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

My terrier sleeps at the end of the bed. I also bring him to work so he spends most of the day with me. I have to leave him at home in the kitchen when it's too hot for him to be traveling in car. The cat keeps him company then:)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Our girl is out most of the time and has a kennel for those rainy days.

You should see the look on her face if we are going out shopping etc talk about gloomy, I feel guilty, but when we come home she nearly wags her tail off. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

my boy stays in the tv room and kitchen when I/we go out for 2/3 hours but he is rarely on his own cos there is always someone at home. If we had to go away for longer than 4 hours then we take him to the creche!!:D

When I am at home during the summer days, he is outside harassing his ball then he goes in the house whenever he likes ( scraping / knocking the door etc to get in!).
    He has his own "quiet corner" in every room of the house - handy cos I know where to look but have to check every room...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

before our springer got sick he was out doors while we were at work,and was very happy there.but at night he was on our bed...if not in it :D he had 3 beds of his own but they werent good enogh for him :D

he was sick with lymphoma and was indoors while we were at work, used to come home at lunch and he could be found anywhere...more than likely snuggled up on our bed though...:)

unfortunately he passed away 2 months ago :-(, but at least he enjoyed his comforts in the last few months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

sad to say our GSD is spoiled rotten, i try to keep him out the back as much as i can during the day, and he's out when the house it empty. But he gives the ''eyes'' we all know them, at the door and everyone lets him it :o

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

tazwaz wrote: »
    before our springer got sick he was out doors while we were at work,and was very happy there.but at night he was on our bed...if not in it :D he had 3 beds of his own but they werent good enogh for him :D

he was sick with lymphoma and was indoors while we were at work, used to come home at lunch and he could be found anywhere...more than likely snuggled up on our bed though...:)

unfortunately he passed away 2 months ago :-(, but at least he enjoyed his comforts in the last few months

Poor fella, Sorry to hear that, sounds like he was one of the lucky ones:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

TechnoPool wrote: »
    sad to say our GSD is spoiled rotten, i try to keep him out the back as much as i can during the day, and he's out when the house it empty. But he gives the ''eyes'' we all know them, at the door and everyone lets him it :o

It reminds me of my dogs when they used to be allowed indoors, they'd sit outside the glass windows fake shivering til we let them in! If they didn't see us they'd be fine, but then when they saw us they'd shiver. And my springer spaniel, who was outdoors only, tried to copy them, but he could never do the shivering properly. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I have 4 dogs now and as they are only newly introduced they are kept separete when we go out. 2 of the terriers are left in the utility room, they have a bed they love in there. The other 2 (springer and another JRT ) are left in the sitting room with the parrot chatting away to keep them company :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

TillyGirl wrote: »
    They both stay in kitchen/dining room while we are at work and at night. When we are home they have run of the downstairs of the house, there is a baby gate at the top of the stairs so they cant go into bedrooms!

Off topic - Tilly likes to run to the top of the stairs with her kong, drops it downstairs, waits for it to stop and then runs and get it! Then the fun starts again! The look on her face when it stops moving just beore she goes to get it is so funny, its like its an inconvience to her to have to get it!

Dogs are so much fun! :D

ha, my guy does this too. he followw the kond down sniffing each step for any treat debris! i was in shock at the level of thinking the first time he did it.

Advertisement