Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average price of ESB?!

Options
  • 11-08-2010 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

Hi guys!

Am moving into a rented apartment (First time renter) on the 1st of September and I'm just trying to get my sums done for the aul budget and I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on what the average cost of ESB/Airtricity for a 2 bed apartment with storage heating...

I know it varies from apartment to apartment but if I even had a rough idea I would be much appreciated!

Thanks guys, I hope you can help.... :confused:

:P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I'm in a 2 bed and it has averaged at €80 a month with Airtricity, it has varied from €30 in warm months to €130 in the winter. That includes all electricity, cooking, heating, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ali85

Cathooo wrote: »
    I'm in a 2 bed and it has averaged at €80 a month with Airtricity, it has varied from €30 in warm months to €130 in the winter. That includes all electricity, cooking, heating, etc.

Thanks a mill.... All these things on their websites about this price per kwh and that price for night saver.... that means nothing to me.... haha!

Thanks for the info Cathooo!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

First, change to Bord Gais or Airtricity, they are 10% cheaper minimum.
    Second, add 5% to your budget due to the new PSO bull**** being added on in October.

As for me, no storage heaters, cooking is all electric, 2x double bed apt. 40-50 a month average

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If you havent chosen your apartment yet- get BER certificates for all those you're interested in, and choose the most energy efficient one.....?

I'm with BG for gas and electricity- 3 bed rather than a 2- we average about EUR100 for gas and electricity per month in the summer- to EUR200 per month in the winter. We've a new baby and are using the washing machine an improbable amount- which doubtless doesn't help these figures!

Check that the apartment has a night meter- very few do.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I'm in a 1 bed apt. we very rarely need heating on. Our bill is usually about €60 for 2 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Is airtricity really cheaper than ESB? we are moving soon and are on Social Welfare; when we contacted Airt they said that they simply pay out E45 a month in that case. Not sure how fair that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

2 bed apt, storage heating & grade C BER here and between myself and flat-mate we average about 100-125 every two months. That's lecky, heating, cooking and two PC's running fairly often.

Heating rarely goes on and not at all for the last few months.

With ESB.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ali85

Thanks a million folks!

I really appreciate all your help! You know yourself, the way things are at the moment we don't want to be leaving ourselves up to our neck in it, hence this budgeting malarky...

I'm going to get onto the estate agent about a BER for it... I should have thought of that.... duh... I've worked on BER's when they came out first...that should have been my first question to the estate agent...

I'm such a dope! :rolleyes:

Thanks again folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Last place I lived in was anything from 50 per month during summer to 120 a month during winter - but there was virtually no insulation and the storage heaters largely ineffective.

Advertisement