Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NGB SAYS UPLOaD WILL BE 512KBS BUT CAN THIS BE SET AT LESS BY EIRCOM??

• 11-08-2010 12:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭

This has me puzzled, with the old bb it would state say, up to 7mb and dowload 384. Then when one logged on the router would show the sync speeds up and down and it would always show 384 for up even though it was unlikely one would get that speed.

With NGB I have been told that line can be set at upload of 384 but if the blurb says 512 why not sync at 512???

Am I missing something? Uncongested, upload speeds are so slow anyway why set them lower than what can be attained?

gb--

ps and why would they, eircom set them at lower level??

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

line quality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

My line was set at 7616 by VF and upload was set at 684 and I got 6.5mb d/l and 558 up. Admittedly the line would sync lower at times but never lost connection. Now Eircom has set line back to old profile and are slow to upgrade it. Will uncongested mean eircom will only allow it to lines set at their profile? Am I stuck. VF are in discussion with eircom about it but no joy since last Friday 5th Aug.

gbcullen

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    My line was set at 7616 by VF and upload was set at 684 and I got 6.5mb d/l and 558 up. Admittedly the line would sync lower at times but never lost connection. Now Eircom has set line back to old profile and are slow to upgrade it. Will uncongested mean eircom will only allow it to lines set at their profile? Am I stuck. VF are in discussion with eircom about it but no joy since last Friday 5th Aug.

gbcullen

What are your line stats?

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 4096 kbps 384 kbps
    Line Attenuation 44.0 db 24.0 db
    Noise Margin 16.3 db 28.0 db

I can use router at very low noise margins and no disconnections.

VF are dealing with Eircom and line should be put back up tommoro. fingers crossed.

Must admit this uncongested is flying at the moment. 4.5km from exchange as advised by eircom. mate at less then 4km, t getting 8160 sync and over 7mb d/l.

gbcullen

thanks for reply by the way, I did not realise the line profile would affect upload synching. I assumed anything over 3mb would get 512 upload. can eircom not change 4096/384 to 4096/512 or is there a strict correlation between up and down? I know a few people who will be disappointed.

gbcullen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

the upload is linked to the download speed it cant be adjusted seperatly
    for the 8,7,6 and 5mb download the upload is 512
    for the 4 and 3mb its 384
    for 2mb its 256
    and for 1mb and below is 128

Perfect thats exactly what I need to know. When the NGB kicks in eircom still use 5mb 6mb 7mb, 8mb so in effect I can pick the profile that best suits my line. VF have said they will put me on the 7mb one tomorro so dying to see result.

Thanks for explanation. I was on the wrong track.

gbcullen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

All profiles that can be applied to the up to 8Mbps congestion free products in the attached.

If anyone wants a very long and boring account of lines and how they link to profiles etc - let me know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

crawler wrote: »

If anyone wants a very long and boring account of lines and how they link to profiles etc - let me know :)

<grin> and why not?

and me too, would love a proper explanation, friend of mine has router synching at 8160 and not seen 8192 before!

My router can re-connect automatically, so say I synch at the 7616 level and then during the day can the sync rate drop as normal or will one get disconnections?

gbculllen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

I was upgraded to ngb yesterday. My speed tests have shown about 7MB Download which is great, but why are the upload speeds so low(about .41Mbps)? Is this the same for all similar Broadband packages? I use torrent sites(for legal downloads), so I need a good upload speed to keep my sharing ratio up.

Ok – I said I would do this so here goes.

To make for simple explanations – I have used some poetic license – so the techies out there will see some simplistic explanations of complicated items. By default this will mean that I have left bits out or explained in very simplistic terms…which is not always “technically correct”.

For the purposes of this entire explanation – I am going to use the analogy of a marble and a piece of card.

The marble is the data you want to send or get from/to (A to B) the internet and the piece of card is your phone line.

The objective is to roll the marble from one side of the card to the other in a straight line – if you do this and can keep it going then you transfer data really quickly to and from the internet really well – if the marble falls off or does not go down the middle – then your success rate is lower or you fail completely. The more marbles you get through, the faster your throughput (speed).

There are loads of terms used in DSL so again I am going to focus on the ones that impact speed and the maximum speeds that a line can achieve.

Interleaving

In DSL there are 3 main settings for DSL (there can be more)
    Low/off
    Medium/normal
    High/maximum

Interleaving takes big chunks of data and splits it into smaller chunks for transmission – this means that there is a higher chance that at least some of the chunks will arrive at the other side. The downside is that this increases the time taken for all chunks to arrive, as they arrive at different times and need to be reassembled. It also means that some chunks may not make it and need to be resent.

In DSL this extra time is known as latency. So the more interleaving that is done, the higher the latency. For gamers, this means higher ping times (a ping is really a measure of latency, usually in milliseconds)

Interleaving can be used to overcome a number of poor quality line problems and increases line stability at the expense of increasing latency.

Going back to our marble and cardboard. If we found that the cardboard we were using was bumpy or uneven (poor quality) – there is a higher chance that if we broke our marble up into smaller marbles that at least some would reach the far side. The ones that fell off can be resent later. This is much better than the marble constantly not reaching the other side.

Path/line length

This one is fairly simple and looking at the marble and cardboard scenario it is easy to say that if you are trying to roll a marble from A to B in a straight line, the longer the path, the greater the chance of failure. Certainly it would be hard to roll more than one marble at a time this means the marble throughput is probably going to be lower and slower than if the path was shorter.

This is exactly the same in DSL. The chances of data packets successfully reaching the other side is less and throughput is lower than if the line was shorter. This means longer lines have lower speeds and usually higher latency.

Attenuation

Attenuation is simply the loss of signal strength over a distance. The further is goes, the most signal that is lost. Naturally you could think that if you put more strength into sending the signal in the first place, that the signal would go further, however so would all the bad stuff associated with more power (more on this later)

Attenuation is usually expressed in dB (decibels) but this is just a unit of measure so don’t worry about it too much.

In our marble and cardboard world – Imagine you want to send the marble from A to B. you flick the marble and it starts moving but slows down over distance as it loses momentum until it reaches the other side. If the path is too long then the marble never reaches the other side (loop length too long = no DSL).

So why not flick the marble harder (more power). This will certainly work? Well yes, this is true it probably will but what if the cardboard is uneven or very long – the chances of the marble going from A to B in a straight line are very slim and in many cases it will hit a bump and fall off, or will become derailed as it travels.

SNR/crosstalk

Signal to noise ratio.

The signal to noise ratio is simply how much wanted signal (the good stuff) is there in comparison to how much unwanted signal (the bad stuff) in general.

“Noise” in communications is a bad thing and can come from many places both self created (too much power for example) or from an external source.

Imagine our cardboard and marble world. We are happily flicking marbles from A to B but some chap directly above us is also doing the same thing. Our cardboard is nice and even but the chap above has a bad bit of cardboard and is flicking very hard trying to get his marble to B.

His marbles are falling off and landing on our cardboard, sometimes causing our marble to go off track. This means we get less marbles through…as a result of the “noise” he is creating for us.

In the phone world – cables are packed closely together in bundles of pairs and have an impact on each other. Cross talk is how this manifests itself. The more cross talk, the less the quality of broadband.

Pre Qual

Pre-qualification uses several techniques to estimate the maximum speed that your line is capable of successfully supporting.

It is an estimate and not a guarantee.

The techniques usually used for this are known as SELT (Single ended loop testing) and DELT (Double ended loop testing)

SELT is usually used as it is a “one way” test that does not need end equipment to be installed in the customers location to do the test.

On short lines SELT tends to be reasonably accurate, up to about 90% but on longer line this can vary.

This is why pre-qual results do not always reflect maximum speeds or indeed why sometimes they are over or under estimated.

It is also important when the test is done – for example if the test is done during the night there are fewer people online, usually leading to less noise. This can overstate the result of maximum speed.

Telcos usually run the tests at scheduled intervals and limit the profiles available to the line to the maximum closest result achieved in the last test. This means pre qual results vary over time and can go up and down between testing intervals.

In our analogy, if would be like looking at our cardboard, considering how long it is, how smooth it is and how many marbles are dropping on it from other sources. We would then make an educated guess at our likely success rate for sending marbles from A to B (max speed). Depending when we look at the cardboard we may assume different results. Equally over time the cardboard may become rough (poorer quality) and we may revise our estimations.

Line profiles

Line profiles are a pre defined set of download and upload limits applied to each modem based on the maximum speeds that a line can support.

This ensures that the lines remain stable and indeed that the correct power levels etc are used.

In our cardboard analogy – this would be the maximum number of marbles we would be allowed to send from A to B over a time interval.

In DSL the time interval is usually “seconds” and the number of marbles is Mbps (Megabits per second)

Sync Rates

the sync rate is the rate that the DSLAM (the hardware in the exchange) and your modem agree on after having a wee chat. This is more accurate than the pre qual result as it is based on ACTUAL performance, rather than a guess.

when you power on your modem, it has a chat with the DSLAM, runs a few checks and then the modem applies the profile based on the one assigned by the service provider.

However, the profile is the maximum rate. If there happens to be a lot of noise on the line the actual rate agreed between the modem and the DSLAM may be lower than the profile applied.

Looking at cardboard and marbles - we made a guess at the maximum rate but once we started rolling marbles it could be that the cardboard was bumpier than we expected or indeed there could be more marbles dropping from other locations. In this instance, we reduce the number of mables we try to send than the previously agreed profile rate.

EVERYTHING above can impact the maximum speeds possible on DSL.

The “tricks” used to improve stability and speed do come at a price – for example high interleaving comes at the price of latency but line stability is improved. If we did not have these may people would not get DSL at all or would have terrible quality issues.

Pre qual is a bit of educated guess work and results do alter. No one deliberately lowers line speeds (why would they – usually means less revenue!!) it’s just a function of the automated result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Bruno2010

All profiles that can be applied to the up to 8Mbps congestion free products in the attached.

Hi Crawler ... just a slight update to your post :)

The 7Mb and 8Mb profiles on the Up to 8Mb are actually '7168/512' and '8192/512' ... hope this helps!

Bruno2010 wrote: »
    Hi Crawler ... just a slight update to your post :)

The 7Mb and 8Mb profiles on the Up to 8Mb are actually '7168/512' and '8192/512' ... hope this helps!

Then the bitstream product description is incorrect....

See pages 11/12 of the eircom product description - is there sometihng we should know? :)

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/dynamic/pdf/Bitstream%20Product%20Description%20V%2028.pdf

Then the bitstream product description is incorrect....

See pages 11/12 of the eircom product description - is there sometihng we should know? :)

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/dynamic/pdf/Bitstream%20Product%20Description%20V%2028.pdf

Ah ... didnt spot the 8192 profile at the top your pic the first time .. it's in there alright.... I stand corrected :D

@crawler, thanks for taking the trouble with the explantion, it is appreciated. I am on the 7616/672 old profile but Eircom are sticking to their guns and saying line prfile is 4096/384 nand thats all I will get with NGB. Here are line stats for old on the left and new on the right.

OLD NEW IE NGB
    Downstream/ Upstream

Connection Speed 7136 kbps 672 kbps 4096/384
    Line Attenuation 44.0 db 24.0 db 44dbDB/24
    Noise Margin 6.5 db 19.0 db 19.0/28

My argiuument is that I should be put on a higher level for NGB ie 7mb and if not suitable back to 6mb and then 5mb. I am 4.5km from exchange. All my wiring has changed since April this year but I dont think eircom have done a new pre qual test.

Anyway I am staying on old for a bit.

gbcullen

Ok – I said I would do this so here goes.

To make for simple explanations – I have used some poetic license – so the techies out there will see some simplistic explanations of complicated items. By default this will mean that I have left bits out or explained in very simplistic terms…which is not always “technically correct”.

For the purposes of this entire explanation – I am going to use the analogy of a marble and a piece of card.

The marble is the data you want to send or get from/to (A to B) the internet and the piece of card is your phone line.

The objective is to roll the marble from one side of the card to the other in a straight line – if you do this and can keep it going then you transfer data really quickly to and from the internet really well – if the marble falls off or does not go down the middle – then your success rate is lower or you fail completely. The more marbles you get through, the faster your throughput (speed).

There are loads of terms used in DSL so again I am going to focus on the ones that impact speed and the maximum speeds that a line can achieve.

Interleaving

In DSL there are 3 main settings for DSL (there can be more)
    Low/off
    Medium/normal
    High/maximum

Interleaving takes big chunks of data and splits it into smaller chunks for transmission – this means that there is a higher chance that at least some of the chunks will arrive at the other side. The downside is that this increases the time taken for all chunks to arrive, as they arrive at different times and need to be reassembled. It also means that some chunks may not make it and need to be resent.

In DSL this extra time is known as latency. So the more interleaving that is done, the higher the latency. For gamers, this means higher ping times (a ping is really a measure of latency, usually in milliseconds)

Interleaving can be used to overcome a number of poor quality line problems and increases line stability at the expense of increasing latency.

Going back to our marble and cardboard. If we found that the cardboard we were using was bumpy or uneven (poor quality) – there is a higher chance that if we broke our marble up into smaller marbles that at least some would reach the far side. The ones that fell off can be resent later. This is much better than the marble constantly not reaching the other side.

Path/line length

This one is fairly simple and looking at the marble and cardboard scenario it is easy to say that if you are trying to roll a marble from A to B in a straight line, the longer the path, the greater the chance of failure. Certainly it would be hard to roll more than one marble at a time this means the marble throughput is probably going to be lower and slower than if the path was shorter.

This is exactly the same in DSL. The chances of data packets successfully reaching the other side is less and throughput is lower than if the line was shorter. This means longer lines have lower speeds and usually higher latency.

Attenuation

Attenuation is simply the loss of signal strength over a distance. The further is goes, the most signal that is lost. Naturally you could think that if you put more strength into sending the signal in the first place, that the signal would go further, however so would all the bad stuff associated with more power (more on this later)

Attenuation is usually expressed in dB (decibels) but this is just a unit of measure so don’t worry about it too much.

In our marble and cardboard world – Imagine you want to send the marble from A to B. you flick the marble and it starts moving but slows down over distance as it loses momentum until it reaches the other side. If the path is too long then the marble never reaches the other side (loop length too long = no DSL).

So why not flick the marble harder (more power). This will certainly work? Well yes, this is true it probably will but what if the cardboard is uneven or very long – the chances of the marble going from A to B in a straight line are very slim and in many cases it will hit a bump and fall off, or will become derailed as it travels.

SNR/crosstalk

Signal to noise ratio.

The signal to noise ratio is simply how much wanted signal (the good stuff) is there in comparison to how much unwanted signal (the bad stuff) in general.

“Noise” in communications is a bad thing and can come from many places both self created (too much power for example) or from an external source.

Imagine our cardboard and marble world. We are happily flicking marbles from A to B but some chap directly above us is also doing the same thing. Our cardboard is nice and even but the chap above has a bad bit of cardboard and is flicking very hard trying to get his marble to B.

His marbles are falling off and landing on our cardboard, sometimes causing our marble to go off track. This means we get less marbles through…as a result of the “noise” he is creating for us.

In the phone world – cables are packed closely together in bundles of pairs and have an impact on each other. Cross talk is how this manifests itself. The more cross talk, the less the quality of broadband.

Pre Qual

Pre-qualification uses several techniques to estimate the maximum speed that your line is capable of successfully supporting.

It is an estimate and not a guarantee.

The techniques usually used for this are known as SELT (Single ended loop testing) and DELT (Double ended loop testing)

SELT is usually used as it is a “one way” test that does not need end equipment to be installed in the customers location to do the test.

On short lines SELT tends to be reasonably accurate, up to about 90% but on longer line this can vary.

This is why pre-qual results do not always reflect maximum speeds or indeed why sometimes they are over or under estimated.

It is also important when the test is done – for example if the test is done during the night there are fewer people online, usually leading to less noise. This can overstate the result of maximum speed.

Telcos usually run the tests at scheduled intervals and limit the profiles available to the line to the maximum closest result achieved in the last test. This means pre qual results vary over time and can go up and down between testing intervals.

In our analogy, if would be like looking at our cardboard, considering how long it is, how smooth it is and how many marbles are dropping on it from other sources. We would then make an educated guess at our likely success rate for sending marbles from A to B (max speed). Depending when we look at the cardboard we may assume different results. Equally over time the cardboard may become rough (poorer quality) and we may revise our estimations.

Line profiles

Line profiles are a pre defined set of download and upload limits applied to each modem based on the maximum speeds that a line can support.

This ensures that the lines remain stable and indeed that the correct power levels etc are used.

In our cardboard analogy – this would be the maximum number of marbles we would be allowed to send from A to B over a time interval.

In DSL the time interval is usually “seconds” and the number of marbles is Mbps (Megabits per second)

Sync Rates

the sync rate is the rate that the DSLAM (the hardware in the exchange) and your modem agree on after having a wee chat. This is more accurate than the pre qual result as it is based on ACTUAL performance, rather than a guess.

when you power on your modem, it has a chat with the DSLAM, runs a few checks and then the modem applies the profile based on the one assigned by the service provider.

However, the profile is the maximum rate. If there happens to be a lot of noise on the line the actual rate agreed between the modem and the DSLAM may be lower than the profile applied.

Looking at cardboard and marbles - we made a guess at the maximum rate but once we started rolling marbles it could be that the cardboard was bumpier than we expected or indeed there could be more marbles dropping from other locations. In this instance, we reduce the number of mables we try to send than the previously agreed profile rate.

EVERYTHING above can impact the maximum speeds possible on DSL.

The “tricks” used to improve stability and speed do come at a price – for example high interleaving comes at the price of latency but line stability is improved. If we did not have these may people would not get DSL at all or would have terrible quality issues.

Pre qual is a bit of educated guess work and results do alter. No one deliberately lowers line speeds (why would they – usually means less :)revenue!!) it’s just a function of the automated result.

Excellent explanation!

Never a problem GB, very happy to help in my own capacity. Darren and the lads on the case for you on the official channels.
    GBCULLEN wrote: »
    @crawler, thanks for taking the trouble with the explantion, it is appreciated. I am on the 7616/672 old profile but Eircom are sticking to their guns and saying line prfile is 4096/384 nand thats all I will get with NGB. Here are line stats for old on the left and new on the right.

OLD NEW IE NGB
    Downstream/ Upstream

Connection Speed 7136 kbps 672 kbps 4096/384
    Line Attenuation 44.0 db 24.0 db 44dbDB/24
    Noise Margin 6.5 db 19.0 db 19.0/28

My argiuument is that I should be put on a higher level for NGB ie 7mb and if not suitable back to 6mb and then 5mb. I am 4.5km from exchange. All my wiring has changed since April this year but I dont think eircom have done a new pre qual test.

Anyway I am staying on old for a bit.

gbcullen

Super stuff. Any problems, let the lads know. Glad your sorted. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nesartol

...The 7Mb and 8Mb profiles on the Up to 8Mb are actually '7168/512' and '8192/512' ...

Hi Bruno,

Can you confirm the 7Mb profile on the Up to 8Mb NGB? Is it 7168/512?

On page 12 on the bitstream product description, this is 7616/512

Just wondering... Thanks very much

nesartol wrote: »
    Hi Bruno,

Can you confirm the 7Mb profile on the Up to 8Mb NGB? Is it 7168/512?

On page 12 on the bitstream product description, this is 7616/512

Just wondering... Thanks very much

Hi,

It's 7168/512. The doc will be ammended

Hi,

It's 7168/512. The doc will be ammended

And now it is ... :)

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/regulatory/reg_details.asp?id=49

Hmmm....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Bruno,

When will the next pre-qual take place as my line is capable of 12mb but pre-qual is restricting it to 6mb?

Bruno,

When will the next pre-qual take place as my line is capable of 12mb but pre-qual is restricting it to 6mb?

Hi,

If you PM me with your tel no I'll check your line out next week.

B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Hi,

If you PM me with your tel no I'll check your line out next week.

B

PM sent. Await response.

Advertisement