Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rented home...

Options
  • 11-08-2010 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hey All,

I'm in a sticky position at the moment and would appreciate some advice...

I was made redundant at the end of July after working for four years. My bf was made redundant a few months ago (we had been living together at the time) but he got a new job in another county and had to move out. I kept the lease on here, as I had a good job and could afford it but now I cant afford it since I have no income. I am actively seeking employment at the moment and have applied for 30-40 jobs, none of which I have gotten anywhere with so far. Got another of a long line of "No thanks" letters this morning. I signed on last week for the first time.

I am trying to consider my options here...I am living on my own at the moment and I have been told that my rent is too high to qualify for rent suppliment and have been told by the community welfare officer to ask my landlord to reduce the rent. I don't think he will reduce the rent (I think that i have a pretty good deal to start with!) to the rate that the CWO thinks he should...I am meeting the landlord this weekend to discuss. I dont know what to do...

I have been thinking of moving down to my bf, but he recons that he will be made redundant before christmas again so he wont be staying where he is. Plus if I moved in with him I wouldn't get rent suppliment and I think i would loose my dole after my stamps run out even though we never pooled our incomes and he does not "support" me financially! I dont see why he should since we are not married and his job is not secure either. If I got a job tomorrow I would move to wherever the job is, I have applied all over Ireland and the UK so I am unable to take on a long term lease also and every house i look at wants "professionals only"...I feel like I am in an impossible situation! What would ye do in my situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cremeegg

Celvapan wrote: »
    Hey All,

I'm in a sticky position at the moment and would appreciate some advice...

I was made redundant at the end of July after working for four years. My bf was made redundant a few months ago (we had been living together at the time) but he got a new job in another county and had to move out. I kept the lease on here, as I had a good job and could afford it but now I cant afford it since I have no income. I am actively seeking employment at the moment and have applied for 30-40 jobs, none of which I have gotten anywhere with so far. Got another of a long line of "No thanks" letters this morning. I signed on last week for the first time.

I am trying to consider my options here...I am living on my own at the moment and I have been told that my rent is too high to qualify for rent suppliment and have been told by the community welfare officer to ask my landlord to reduce the rent. I don't think he will reduce the rent (I think that i have a pretty good deal to start with!) to the rate that the CWO thinks he should...I am meeting the landlord this weekend to discuss. I dont know what to do...

I have been thinking of moving down to my bf, but he recons that he will be made redundant before christmas again so he wont be staying where he is. Plus if I moved in with him I wouldn't get rent suppliment and I think i would loose my dole after my stamps run out even though we never pooled our incomes and he does not "support" me financially! I dont see why he should since we are not married and his job is not secure either. If I got a job tomorrow I would move to wherever the job is, I have applied all over Ireland and the UK so I am unable to take on a long term lease also and every house i look at wants "professionals only"...I feel like I am in an impossible situation! What would ye do in my situation?

Move in with parents until job lands?? sorry but thats all i got. I hope evrything works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sean.casaidhe

Don't move back home, because then (AFAIK) you'll not be eligible for Rent Allowance. I think the criteria includes that you must be living in private rented accommadation for 6 months.
    Get yourself down to your local council and get on the housing list.
    If the Landlord can't meet you on the rent, give notice and start looking for somewhere within budget and which accepts rent allowance. Hopefully the Landlord will give you your deposit back in full.
    Get yourself down to MABS for money advice too - I know what it's like losing a job and it's not the easiest adjustment to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Celvapan

cremeegg wrote: »
    Move in with parents until job lands?? sorry but thats all i got. I hope evrything works out for you.

I had thought of that, however I am near 30 now and haven't lived at home for the past decade with being college and working...Thanks for advice though, appreciate it :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Thread title is melodramatic thread title.

You're renting on your own. Move out and house share or get others to move in with you. There are plenty of rooms around for €300 and even less.

Don't move back home, because then (AFAIK) you'll not be eligible for Rent Allowance. I think the criteria includes that you must be living in private rented accommadation for 6 months.

Yeah really don't want to move home. Haven't lived there for a decade. Have been in rented accomodation for the past 10 years so I think I should qualify for rent allowance.
    Get yourself down to your local council and get on the housing list.

Social welfare officer mentioned something about this aswell, but when I said I didnt understand what the list was for he looked at me like I was crazy. I don't think that it was that crazy that I wasn't sure what it was, this is my first time to be in this situation and I have never had to go on the list before...He was quite rude. So I looked into it on the net since he gave me no information, and I see that its allocated on a needs basis so I think families and single parent families would probably be top of the list.

If the Landlord can't meet you on the rent, give notice and start looking for somewhere within budget and which accepts rent allowance. Hopefully the Landlord will give you your deposit back in full.

Yeah will speak with the landlord this weekend, my lease is up soon so I think I will get my deposit back. I have been looking at other places, but all of them say leases 6 months, 1 year and "professionals". Are there any ways around signing leases for 6 months or a year? And If i do sign one for 6 months and I have to move out in a months time, am i liable for the other 5 months rent that I wasn't living there?
    Get yourself down to MABS for money advice too
    - I know what it's like losing a job and it's not the easiest adjustment to make.[/QUOTE]

Thats a good idea, I think I came across their web site. I'll deffo look into that-Thanks
    - I know what it's like losing a job and it's not the easiest adjustment to make.

Yeah its tough being laid off, and I'm trying to remain optimistic but its very difficult in the current economic climate. Its a tough market out there and after applying to and getting refused from 40ish jobs, I can see that I could be looking at Social Welfare for alot longer than I had anticipated...

• Advertisement

Thread title is melodramatic thread title.

Sorry you think that but that wasn't the way it was intended...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Have a word with your local Citizens' Advice office; they are often more clued up than anyone else..... Good luck... And be positive with your landlord, not apologetic ;) we had our rent reduced here to fit in with the RA limits by a substantial amount.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Have a word with your local Citizens' Advice office; they are often more clued up than anyone else..... Good luck... And be positive with your landlord, not apologetic ;) we had our rent reduced here to fit in with the RA limits by a substantial amount.

Thanks Graces7 :) Appreciate it.

Does anyone know what the difference is between the rates for "single person in shared accomodation" and "single person"?? I am living on my own but I think that my SWO gave me the "single person in shared accomodation" rate...My rent is more in line with "single person" allowance and wouldnt have to get it reduced by much to fit in there. I pay €500 a month now and according to below link the rate is €468 for "single person"??

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/supplementary-welfare-schemes/rent_supplement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

For 468 you could rent a large flat in that area,a single person does not require a house .maybe you could rent a 1bed apartment for 460.

ricman wrote: »
    For 468 you could rent a large flat in that area,a single person does not require a house .maybe you could rent a 1bed apartment for 460.

Yeah I know that a single person does not need a house. I spoke with the CWO yesterday again and I am not entitled to 460 a month, I am entitled to 390 a month. Now the fun begins seeing as there are no 1 bed apts where I live!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

So share.

Well you could rent a large flat for 390 euro.
    OR team up with someone and rent a 2bed apartment.

So share.

There is one sharing place where I live and he wont accept RA...I think I'll have to move out of this town.

put ad in local paper,wanted room for rent,x rent per week.
    its possible you might rent room under rent allowance,in a private house, under the rent a room scheme.ITS tax free ,my friend rents 1 room in a house,hes the only tenant.The landlord lives there.Look for room for rent daft.ie, buyandsell.net etc
    There must be older people,living alone ,who might be willing to rent 1 room.

ricman wrote: »
    put ad in local paper,wanted room for rent,x rent per week.
    its possible you might rent room under rent allowance,in a private house, under the rent a room scheme.ITS tax free ,my friend rents 1 room in a house,hes the only tenant.The landlord lives there.Look for room for rent daft.ie, buyandsell.net etc
    There must be older people,living alone ,who might be willing to rent 1 room.

Thanks ricman, i'll give that a shot. I live in a really rural place but its worth a try. I'm waiting on my landlord to get back to me about dropping the rent here aswell. He's on holidays abroad at the moment and not sure when he's back.

Does anyone know if you can claim RA back to the date you were unemployed? I can't get my landlord to prove that I live here and pay him rent until after he gets back from holidays...I paid the rent for this month earlier this week yet was made redundant July 31st. I was hoping to be able to get some of that back or I wont be long running out of cash...

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

Celvapan wrote: »
    Thanks Graces7 :) Appreciate it.

Does anyone know what the difference is between the rates for "single person in shared accomodation" and "single person"?? I am living on my own but I think that my SWO gave me the "single person in shared accomodation" rate...My rent is more in line with "single person" allowance and wouldnt have to get it reduced by much to fit in there. I pay €500 a month now and according to below link the rate is €468 for "single person"??

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/supplementary-welfare-schemes/rent_supplement

Clearly you are not "single person in shared accomodation" as you live on your own so you should be considered as "single person" - so why not ask your landlord to say the rent is 468euro and pay the difference yourself then

MIRMIR82 wrote: »
    Clearly you are not "single person in shared accomodation" as you live on your own so you should be considered as "single person" - so why not ask your landlord to say the rent is 468euro and pay the difference yourself then

Yeah I spoke with the CWO yesterday and the rate for "single person" where i live is €390. I thought that it was €468 but that is for the County and not the town that I live in. I rang my landlord but was unable to speak to him yesterday as he is on holidays abroad...I emailed him and am awaiting his response but I'm not optimistic that he will be back any time soon. If I am to qualify for RA allowance my rent is not allowed to be above €390 so even if I could pay the difference, which I can't, I wouldnt qualify for RA unless the rent is lower.

Advertisement