Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help re fees

Options
  • 11-08-2010 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi there :D

I'm wondering if there is any financial help I can avail of as a (broke) mature student! I completed a degree 10yrs ago with the aid of a grant but have started another degree programme this past year. I have no income for the past 12 months. The fees I'm paying are in the region of 8ks a year and as far as I'm aware the only thing I can do is claim tax relief on the fees and get a weekend job :eek: any help PPPPPPLLEASE :confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

tinca wrote: »

I'm wondering if there is any financial help I can avail of as a (broke) mature student! I completed a degree 10yrs ago with the aid of a grant but have started another degree programme this past year. I have no income for the past 12 months. The fees I'm paying are in the region of 8ks a year and as far as I'm aware the only thing I can do is claim tax relief on the fees and get a weekend job :eek: any help PPPPPPLLEASE :confused::confused::confused:

hello :)

well, if you're independent mature student you could be eligible for grant regardless of whether you've a previous degree i believe?
    Also, depending on what college you go to there's different grants/prize type things available.

In Trinity there's loads of obscure ones, but Trinity Trust is fairly reliable for giving out cash up to a max of €700 per person per year i think

As for the claiming the tax back, only really works afaik if you're paying tax. So i think it's maybe aimed more at businesses, ie, if your employer was paying for you to go back. They get about a grand back in tax out of the total fees. And you can't claim it back til following year anyway, so not much good for current giro!

and yep, job helps with the $$$$

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

Feu wrote: »
    As for the claiming the tax back, only really works afaik if you're paying tax. So i think it's maybe aimed more at businesses, ie, if your employer was paying for you to go back. They get about a grand back in tax out of the total fees. And you can't claim it back til following year anyway, so not much good for current giro!

Are you serious? We have to wait a year to claim tax back on our fees?!!! :eek: I am so screwed.

yes well that's usually how claiming tax back works?

i pay my fees in september, then the following august get an email about claiming the tax back. but as i say, it may not actually be beneficial to all those paying fees. and remember it's not a huge amount. my fees are 6,900, then reg fee, plus gym charge [:rolleyes:], so you just get tax back for the main part of fee. about a grand, but i've not successfully received it before, but a girl in my class did. her folks paid her fees, so they got tax back as they were earning, if that makes sense!

i know it sucks, but i didn't expect to get anything back on them going in

[thinking about it, it may be most beneficial after first year, as people are more likely to have been paying tax in the previous year, but after that pretty useless]

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

yes well that's usually how claiming tax back works?

No - you can claim the taxback immediately upon getting a receipt

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

tinca wrote: »

- Contact your college and ask about the student assistance fund

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

Johnnymcg wrote: »

Phew, thanks Johnny. This year is going to be financially tough enough without not being able to claim back on my fees. Thanks for the advice. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭browne111

well, if you're independent mature student you could be eligible for grant regardless of whether you've a previous degree i believe?
    Also, depending on what college you go to there's different grants/prize type things available.

In Trinity there's loads of obscure ones, but Trinity Trust is fairly reliable for giving out cash up to a max of €700 per person per year i think

Hi, are u sure you get a grant if u already hold a degree, if you are now an independent candidate?

Johnnymcg wrote: »

happy to be corrected, as i said it's not worke for me to date :( Good luck with it tinca! and with course!

browne111 wrote: »

Hi, are u sure you get a grant if u already hold a degree, if you are now an independent candidate?

again i;m not 100% sure, but my friend got 1 in first year [we're now going into 4th year] so this could have changed. You need to talk to your council and/or your prospective fees office

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

ok my dad just payed about 2/3rds of my fees a few days ago and hes paying the other instalment in January .How would he go about claiming tax back?I heard you can claim 20 percent back or something

• Advertisement

eoins23456 wrote: »
    ok my dad just payed about 2/3rds of my fees a few days ago and hes paying the other instalment in January .How would he go about claiming tax back?I heard you can claim 20 percent back or something
    registration fees or tuition fees?

If you're talking about registration fees you get nothing back

If its tuition fees - see here

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/reliefs/tuition-fees.html

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

Tax relief can be claimed on Tuition Fees for certain 3rd level courses.
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it31.html

Basically you can claim 20% back up to a maximum paid of €5000.
    So on €5000 you get €1000 back, on €4000 you get €800 back and on €8000 you get €1000 back. So tax back is limited to €1000 regardless of how much over €5000 is paid.

Also can only claim on actual tuition fees. The registrations fees and student charges cannot be claimed back, even if fees are under the €5000 limit.

Oh and you can claim it back once you have the receipt, you don't have to wait till the end of the year.

Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 alison1234

Are you sure that if u apply as independent mature student and already have a degree you can get grant?

as i mentioned above, no, i'm not sure, you need to check with your council/fees office, they will be able to tell you for sure.

good luck with it :D

Advertisement