Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunting for a Quad Core

Options
  • 11-08-2010 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭

I have no idea what one looks like, or where to look wen i open my PC lol.

I have a Core 2 Duo and I was thinkin about looking around getting a Quad Core.

Only thing is that, I've no idea how much they would cost, or if I can even buy a processor on it's own, would I need to buy a new motherboard aswell?.

I'm sittin here with an Nvidia Geforce 250 GTS Graphics Card and the only thing that's holding me back from playin newer games is the processor, it's only a 1.8Ghz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

gamercfc wrote: »

Only thing is that, I've no idea how much they would cost, or if I can even buy a processor on it's own, would I need to buy a new motherboard aswell?.

I'm sittin here with an Nvidia Geforce 250 GTS Graphics Card and the only thing that's holding me back from playin newer games is the processor, it's only a 1.8Ghz
    You could get a faster Core 2 chip second-hand for cheap and you probably won't be far off a new Quad (gaming-wise).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

The CPU sits in a socket to the top left of the MB, its always covered by a cooler.

If your system is a pre-built then chances are it wont be as simple as just swapping it out and you may need a new motherboard.

You can buy CPU's separately. The best option IMO is to get a used Q6600 from adverts. These can be had for around the €100 mark ore below

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

You could get a faster Core 2 chip second-hand for cheap and you probably won't be far off a new Quad (gaming-wise).

I suppose, i should've renamed the thread to "Hunting for a better processor" really lol

The processor i have is just a big factor for me playin better games.
    I wouldn't even know where to look for a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

I suppose, i should've renamed the thread to "Hunting for a better processor" really lol

The processor i have is just a big factor for me playin better games.
    I wouldn't even know where to look for a new one

The first thing you need to do is find out what socket your mobo is. The easiest way is to post the make & model of your PC here and have somebody tell you, or find the model of your cpu ([My Computer -> Properties] for Windows 7) then google it.

The reason why I'm not assuming it's not socket T (a.k.a LGA775) is because the OP's processor is 1.8GHz, which, if it's one of the low-voltage chips, would have a different socket - meaning you will need a new mobo to get a decent processor!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

what make is your pc or try running cpu-z it will tell us what motherboard and cpu you have

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Get cpu-z here. Take a screenshot and post it back up here

mycpu.jpg
    mymotherboard.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

CPU Support
    Intel Celeron D 3xx and 4xx models
    Intel Pentium 4 5xx and 6xx models
    Intel Pentium D 8xx and 9xx models
    Intel Core 2 Duo models with LGA775
    533 / 800 / 1066 MHz FSB

It will support one quad core, the Q6600, as it runs at 1066mhz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

pity if you had of asked this question yesterday one only sold on adverts for 50 euro bargain your best bet would be to put up a wanted add on adverts someone might have a q6600 or check ebay

massy086 wrote: »
    pity if you had of asked this question yesterday one only sold on adverts for 50 euro bargain your best bet would be to put up a wanted add on adverts someone might have a q6600 or check ebay

would the Q6600 be better than the processor i have now?

• Advertisement

would the Q6600 be better than the processor i have now?

the q6600 is miles faster than what you have now

You'll notice a substantial difference in encoding, rendering, gaming, the lot :D

Anywhere I could probably purchase one?. I have a PC World a few miles up the road from me but I wouldn't trust their prices.

Any shop sites?

I wouldn't bet on many places except ebay and amazon to have them. The Q6600 was Intel's first consumer quad CPU and things have moved on to the Core ix series since. It's still an excellent excellent CPU though don't get me wrong.

Ah rite, thanks lads much appreciated! :D

Advertisement