Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

can i re-use rodinal?

• 11-08-2010 1:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭

ok so i developed two films on sunday evening with rodinal, stored it straight away in lightproof bottles - can i re-use it to develop 2 more today? i've googled and get conflicting opinions - don't want to risk it but on the other hand it's there so all i'd have to do is heat it up so....:rolleyes:

while i'm at it, can i also re-use ilford stop and ilford fixer? both went into their wee black bottles straight away.... again, google throws up just as many in the ''yeah sure, give it a lash'' camp as in the ''are you mental, no way'' camp....:p

any advice from either camp appreciated!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

You can reuse the fixer again, no problem.

You can also re-use the stop.

Rodinal is designed as one-shot only developer though so I definitely would discard it after use.

It is false economy to skimp on chemicals, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

My personal preference:

Rodinal (Developer) - use once and then discard

Stop - I just use fresh water every time

Fixer - I re-use my fixer about 5 times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Stop turns from yellow to purple when it's exhausted. Fixer just stops fixing properly, but it usually does a good 20 rolls before it does. I'd re-use away on both.

You *can* reuse developer by extending dev time by (I think?) 10%. I've never done it TBH - I'd rather dilute more (1+30 for R09) and develop for longer, and then just discard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Yeah fix you can use for ages. If you're concerned you can do a clip test, dunk some of the film leader into the fix, wait for it to turn clear, and use twice the time (you were timing that, right ?) to fix the actual film.

Stop, dunno, never use it myself.

Rodinal I've only ever used one shot at extreme dilutions (I think 1:50 is the most concentrated I've ever made it) so I've never been too concerned about keeping the working solution around. It -is- designed as a one shot though so I'd probably toss it. I have, before, used DDX for multiple rolls of film, increasing the times by roughly 10% for each roll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

- tbh i think i kinda knew that but it's always helpful to get your sucpicions verified before wading in and potentially ruining 72 exposures!!!! :p i'll make up another soup of it so. i had done the first one at a higher solution so i'll try this one at 1:50 and see how it goes. see, we were spoonfed in college - we had a photography technician who had the darkrooms set up in such a way that we didn't have to make any decisions... but man, now i remember how addictive this sh!t can be.... :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement