Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford - Dublin motorway

• 11-08-2010 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Does anyone know when the above will be completed so youl be able to drive the whole way from waterford to dublin without having to leave the motorway ? There so many names on it M9 ,N9 havent clue what the whole thing is/will be called ?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Not until mid-September the information I have says anyway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its called the M9, N means National Road.....which the road is not as its a motorway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 deisemad10

Cabaal wrote: »
    Its called the M9, N means National Road.....which the road is not as its a motorway :)

uummm you learn something new everyday eh ha .So mid sept we should finally be rid of those terrible road that we have had to endure for many years ,i wonder how long it would take to get to dublin airport once its finished at a respectable speed 120 - 130 Kmph i would think roughly 1 hour 25 - 30 mins ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

deisemad10 wrote: »
    uummm you learn something new everyday eh ha .So mid sept we should finally be rid of those terrible road that we have had to endure for many years ,i wonder how long it would take to get to dublin airport once its finished at a respectable speed 120 - 130 Kmph i would think roughly 1 hour 25 - 30 mins ?

No, they'll still be there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

Waterford to Dublin Airport in under 90mins?
    You will have to average at least 120Kmph....and ye won't be doing that going through Newlands Cross....also the speed limit is only 100Kmph after Naas.

1hour 40mins would be about the fastest if you want to avoid a speeding ticket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ShaneIRL

Does anyone know when the above will be completed so youl be able to drive the whole way from waterford to dublin without having to leave the motorway ? There so many names on it M9 ,N9 havent clue what the whole thing is/will be called ?

Keep an eye here. They usually update when any information comes available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

THall04 wrote: »
    Waterford to Dublin Airport in under 90mins?
    You will have to average at least 120Kmph....and ye won't be doing that going through Newlands Cross....also the speed limit is only 100Kmph after Naas.

1hour 40mins would be about the fastest if you want to avoid a speeding ticket
    Ive seen red cow to waterford done in 90 minutes.......by a micra.......it was terrifying:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I reckon it would be about 100min to Dublin airport ya. Maybe a bit less if traveling at night, great news really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Sept 9th @ 11:00

http://www.kclr96fm.com/news?id=21797

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Wilde_37

Will this be the only motorway in the country which has no toll on it?

Also - will it be the only motorway from one city to another which neither starts - nor ends in the city or county it primarily serves? I.e. The Waterford to Dublin motorway starts in Co. Kilkenny and ends in Co. Kildare!!!

• Advertisement

Wilde_37 wrote: »
    Will this be the only motorway in the country which has no toll on it?

There are plans for a toll.
    Wilde_37 wrote: »
    Also - will it be the only motorway from one city to another which neither starts - nor ends in the city or county it primarily serves? I.e. The Waterford to Dublin motorway starts in Co. Kilkenny and ends in Co. Kildare!!!

It's not the Waterford to Dublin motorway - it's the M9.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Wilde_37

Where is the toll going to be? Is there a plaza on the newest stretch?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

There wont be a toll and stop writing like that!

:pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I gave up reading his posts once I saw he/she was posting in blue text
    :rolleyes:

Obviously blue font is only allowed in sigs ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

just announced today - it's open on the 9th Sept

linky

just announced today - it's open on the 9th Sept

linky

Thanks...Bards had the inside-scoop yesterday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

gscully wrote: »
    Thanks...Bards had the inside-scoop yesterday :D

oops - missed that post while going thru the thread :o

must have been all the blue text around it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Been up to KK twice now and the motorway is brilliant if your in a hurry....but how far can I travel on the old route from here to KK town.

Coming from KK is it possible to get as far as Mullinavat without having to join the M9?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Been up to KK twice now and the motorway is brilliant if your in a hurry....but how far can I travel on the old route from here to KK town.

Coming from KK is it possible to get as far as Mullinavat without having to join the M9?

Yup, the N9 runs "alongside" as such as it normally was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Sully wrote: »
    Yup, the N9 runs "alongside" as such as it normally was.

Any idea what its like to cycle on, or would it be locals doing 100km/h like on lots of country roads?

dayshah wrote: »
    Any idea what its like to cycle on, or would it be locals doing 100km/h like on lots of country roads?

The road hasn't improved in any shape or form. The speed limit is now 80km/hr. Its not going to be half as busy, but will probably be kept busy with people preferring not to use the motorway, people forgetting its there, people thinking the motorway has tolls and locals. :P

Just looking at openmaps which is better than Mr Google...at least they show it as a Motorway and in blue......it seems when leaving Waterford you don't have to join the M9 at all to get to KK...just follow the R448 am I right in thinking this?

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Just looking at openmaps which is better than Mr Google...at least they show it as a Motorway and in blue......it seems when leaving Waterford you don't have to join the M9 at all to get to KK...just follow the R448 am I right in thinking this?

I'm not sure where the R448 is - there are a few new routes since the opening of the bypass I haven't got up to speed on. But, to get onto the N9 from Waterford just head over the old bridge, turn left, over the dual carriageway and take the first exit on the roundabout heading past the two closed petrol stations and railway crossing, veering left and your on the N9 like normal. :)

dayshah wrote: »

I cycled it the other day to work, **** all cars on it and that includes peak time in the evening
    so perfect for cycling :)

road surface is pretty decent as well.,

Sully wrote: »
    I'm not sure where the R448 is - there are a few new routes since the opening of the bypass I haven't got up to speed on. But, to get onto the N9 from Waterford just head over the old bridge, turn left, over the dual carriageway and take the first exit on the roundabout heading past the two closed petrol stations and railway crossing, veering left and your on the N9 like normal. :)

Yup as you say just take a left at the Newrath roundabout and your on the R448/N9 which criss crosses under the M9 from time to time.

Google maps would want to get their act together as regards the SE. These are way ahead of em and even show traffic flow direction.

OpenStreetMap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Cant wait for this! Ive drove to and from Dublin for work the last 2 days and hated getting off the motorway to go through kilkenny!! (mostly because of those bloody flags EVERYWHERE:rolleyes:) But I was getting up in less than 2 hours,so im looking forward to seeing the difference in journey time after the 9th!

Advertisement