Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AC/DC - Bon Scott or Brian Johnson

Options
  • 11-08-2010 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭

You choose.

Scott - bad boy, misfit, party animal, could read the phone book and make it sound sleazy.

Johnson - gained Scott's approval, did the near impossible in taking over from him. Easygoing "one of the lads" image.

AC/DC - Bon Scott or Brian Johnson 46 votes

Bon
    0%
    Brian
    63%
    bad2daboneadoxTristramNailzBlaasForRafaBlue850subwayRented MuledamonjewelGrid.dr.bollockoDublin Spurbuck65Kess73DrumStevedasdogthe boltDazMarzold greggsiltirocker 29 votes
    Don't make me decide!!
    36%
    PalefaceMaliceNeo#grimm2005lord lucanAudioslavenGerard.Csmooch71Mackmangerard65Max Power1iseethelightfruitbatsJ.BallAsphyxiaPauletaItssoeasy 17 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Brian
    I have to say bon. The quality of the lyrics on his albums are so much better, sharp, tongue in cheek, & colourfull. I saw a recent interview with brian where he said he wrote the lyrics on back in black but i really doubt that. They bare all the hallmarks of bon's lyrics. & the quality drop severely from then on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Don't make me decide!!
    Brian IMO, way better vocal range.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Brian
    You choose.

Scott - bad boy, misfit, party animal, could read the phone book and make it sound sleazy.

Johnson - gained Scott's approval, did the near impossible in taking over from him. Easygoing "one of the lads" image.

How did Johnson's time with AC/DC gain Bon's approval?

As for the question in the thread title, I would have to say Bon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Brian
    Kess73 wrote: »
    How did Johnson's time with AC/DC gain Bon's approval?

As for the question in the thread title, I would have to say Bon.

So the story goes that some time before Bon died, they saw Brian sing with another band and his preformance impressed Bon. Turns out that Bon was a guy that was really hard to impress, so him saying that about Brian was kind of like a seal of approval from the man himself when they were looking for a new singer.

OT, would have to go with Bon. Just his output with the band and his presence on stage could never be matched.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Hard to decide.

Most of my favourite AC/DC songs were written in the Brian Johnson era, but of course it has lasted 30 years compared with Bon Scott's 6. That said all my favourite Brian Johnson songs were released in a 10 years era. It also has a lot more to do with Angus and Malcolm's output than Johnson or Scott. But certainly the Bon Scott era was more consistent than that of Brian Johnson.

I prefer Scott's lyrics, and his vocal style is probably more original, but Brian Johnson is a more energetic live performer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Brian
    So the story goes that some time before Bon died, they saw Brian sing with another band and his preformance impressed Bon. Turns out that Bon was a guy that was really hard to impress, so him saying that about Brian was kind of like a seal of approval from the man himself when they were looking for a new singer.

OT, would have to go with Bon. Just his output with the band and his presence on stage could never be matched.

Well said!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭dasdog

Brian
    I don't even listen to AC/DC post Bon Scott if that answers the question though I do respect Brian Johnson for doing things his own way (and yes, he appears to be a very down to earth character). Their first singer, Dave Evans I think, thought he was going to get the job and was sitting by the phone all dressed up waiting for the call after Scott's passing. There's a version of "Can I sit next to you girl?" on youtube which I'm not going to bother embed it sounds so lame.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Don't make me decide!!
    Brian Johnson for me but that's mainly down to listening to Back in Black incessantly as a young 'un. It was quite a while before I even knew they had had a different singer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I think the quality of the music was much better back in Bon's time so I prefer his albums but I don't know whether it's because of his vocals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Bon all the way.
    Check out these versions. The lyrics are killer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Don't make me decide!!
    I voted Johnson because for most of my years on this planet he's been the voice of AC/DC for me.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Brian
    Both fairly equal, but Bon just shaves it for me...

Bon sounds serpentine and sleazy...
    Brian can come across a little like a pensioner vomiting at times...

But both still legends.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Brian
    Bon, Brian is no comparison whatsoever. "Gone Shooting" is one of my favourite 70's Classic Rock song.

Don't make me decide!!
    Malice_ wrote: »
    Brian Johnson for me but that's mainly down to listening to Back in Black incessantly as a young 'un. It was quite a while before I even knew they had had a different singer!
    +1
    This is why I prefer Brian Id say too. Took a while to realise that they had a different singer in songs like Highway to hell etc. They have a similar vocal style too, making similar sounding songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Brian
    1 great rock singer (Brian) and 1 Absolute Legend (Scott)

Bon Scott wins without question.
    His presence, his voice, posture, his grin - he was the real deal.
    Probabaly the greatest front man ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

1 great rock singer (Brian) and 1 Absolute Legend (Scott)

Bon Scott wins without question.
    His presence, his voice, posture, his grin - he was the real deal.
    Probabaly the greatest front man ever.

Much as I love Beano, I'd have to agree with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Brian
    Bonn Scott was a better singer, better front man, better presence, better songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭J.Ball

Don't make me decide!!
    Both of them are very similar in vocal style but brian has a bit more grit in his voice which suits there overall sound

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Brian
    J.Ball wrote: »
    Both of them are very similar in vocal style but brian has a bit more grit in his voice which suits there overall sound

See I think they had completely different vocal styles, Scott with the natural voice, Johnson with a more forced, almost gravely falsetto style.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Don't make me decide!!
    lord lucan wrote: »
    I voted Johnson because for most of my years on this planet he's been the voice of AC/DC for me.:)

Same here! Plus he put on an amazing show when I saw them in Punchestown :D

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭J.Ball

Don't make me decide!!
    Alot of people would be hard pushed to tell the difference between the two singing. I would agree that bon was more natural and brian does seem a bit forced at times .....by similar styles i meant the sound produced not the way they physically sing sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Brian
    Not even close....Bon.

Brian is just the replacement singer for the replacement singer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭sxt

Bon Johnson by a mile

Don't make me decide!!
    sxt wrote: »
    Bon Johnson by a mile
    A combination of the two is it?? Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Wot??? No mention of Dave Evans???? :confused:

Seriously though. For me, it's a toss up between the two. Each (Brian and Bon, not Dave) has their own unique qualities. Can't decide. I love Bon's cheeky lyrics and schoolboy charisma but I also love Brian's raw edge and boogie woogie vibes.

If I really really had to choose though, it would be Bon.

Really wish I could have seen Bon perform as I've seen Brian with gang a few times now.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭plonker

AC/DC are the best band that ever existed,it does'nt matter who fronted them,Angus and Malcom started the band and held it all together through the decades,hardcore fans should never argue who is/was the best frontman!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Brian
    You do know what AC/DC stands for though?! Best. F**king. Band. Ever. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

deman wrote: »
    Wot??? No mention of Dave Evans???? :confused:

Seriously though. For me, it's a toss up between the two. Each (Brian and Bon, not Dave) has their own unique qualities. Can't decide.

yeah this is what'd happen if travolta grew his hair out. btw no way would i let him look after the kids

i dunno know much bout AC/DC other than the unavoidable. but looked at the Let There Be Rock promo - n thats yer boy, no doubt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement