Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bigger engine, new tax?

• 11-08-2010 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Quick question, I've a 1.4 honda civic, dropping the engine and fitting a 1.8 b18c from an integra type r this week. The cars taxed for another 2 months When I change the log book will I have to get a new tax disc and pay again? or can I just wait for my tax to be up then start taxing it as a 1.8? anyone have any experience of this.

thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

ek9er wrote: »
    Quick question, I've a 1.4 honda civic, dropping the engine and fitting a 1.8 b18c from an integra type r this week. The cars taxed for another 2 months When I change the log book will I have to get a new tax disc and pay again? or can I just wait for my tax to be up then start taxing it as a 1.8? anyone have any experience of this.

thanks

i think you would be better to tax it as a 1.8 right away. 2 months tax on a 1.4 is nothing, alot less that the hassle if you got into trouble for having the wrong tax.Also let your insurance company know, otherwise your giving them money for an a4 sheet of paper and they are laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

It strikes me as extremely unlikely that the Guards would check the engine to make sure that it matches what's on the disc! At most, surely they will check that it matches the reg? Would it weigh on your conscience if you were driving around with the wrong tax disc with virtually no chance of getting caught?

Also, wouldn't you need to inform the registration office before you tax it - otherwise, when you give the reg number at the tax office, it'll show up on their system as a 1.4, and that's all they'll charge you for (wouldn't have a problem with this myself of course ;) )

Do tell your insurance company though as bmw535d said, otherwise you are not covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭ek9er

Yeah thanks guys, tbh i wouldn't be bothered by having the wrong disc i'm even tempted leave it 1.4 on tax but yes I'll be insuring it correctly thats my biggest concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

I think you can get a refund for your tax if you really wanted. I think you lose out on the cost of 1 month or something to that effect. I'm sure someone can clarify.

The likelihood of a Garda checking your engine in that timeframe for having the wrong tax disc is slim!

Sounds like a nice project though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

thanks

Is it just the engine you're changing?

Would the current gearbox/clutch and suspension handle the extra power?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Twin-go wrote: »

Or just take the integra type R and save yourself months of head aches and expense. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Leave out the pointless rolleyes posts please.

Twin-go wrote: »

Gearbox is completely different, I'm using most of the suspension and the brakes from the doner car, new arb and strut braces. It'll be able to handle it, it won't be far off the type r civic apart from the seam welded chassis.

I wouldn't get an integra for the cost of this.. got a bargain that's why i'm going to do it. Plus there's fun in having a car that looks like 90hp but has nearly 200:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

Gearbox is completely different, I'm using most of the suspension and the brakes from the doner car, new arb and strut braces. It'll be able to handle it, it won't be far off the type r civic apart from the seam welded chassis.

I wouldn't get an integra for the cost of this.. got a bargain that's why i'm going to do it. Plus there's fun in having a car that looks like 90hp but has nearly 200:D

your gona know a civic with rear disc brakes is not a 1.4.
    hope you don't reply saying im not swap the rear stub axels.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭coronaextra

Leave the rear drums in, it would be a proper sleeper then!! :D

as said previous, the tax wouldn't be as serious an issue as the Insurance, but a clued in traffic corps Garda may ask you to pop the hood when he sees the tax disk and cause a lot of hassle for yourself!

• Advertisement

bmw535d wrote: »
    your gona know a civic with rear disc brakes is not a 1.4.
    hope you don't reply saying im not swap the rear stub axels.

Haha no the discs went on first! need to get bigger brakes on the front too. Priorities!:pac:

Leave the rear drums in, it would be a proper sleeper then!! :D

as said previous, the tax wouldn't be as serious an issue as the Insurance, but a clued in traffic corps Garda may ask you to pop the hood when he sees the tax disk and cause a lot of hassle for yourself!

I seem to have broken the bonnet catch! :D Well isn't that a shame!

Advertisement