Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 5 Meg query for those that have it

• 11-08-2010 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

I'm about to sign up to UPC, and I'm undecided between the 5 and 15 Mb packages. The two advantages of going for the 15, is that I get faster broadband obviously, but I additionally get unlimited downloads. The 5 Mb package has a 40 Gb cap.

I don't think I'll exceed 40 Gb. I don't do a huge amount of downloading, and have lived with o2's 10 Gb cap for 2 years. But my real question is, is the 5Mb package relatively speedy? Can you watch a youtube video without it pausing to buffer? Can you play games online? What kind of download speeds are people getting?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Just a thought... why not get the 5mb package installed and if it doesn't suit upgrade to the 15mb? Just remember you don't get the free wireless router on the 5mb package.

I don't believe there's any cost in upgrading and it can be done over the phone.

I have a few family members on the 5mb package and they are very happy with it. Skype, youtube etc. all work fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Thanks Kingambrose. My thoughts were try out the 5 Meg package too. If I need to download anything big, I'll just do it overnight. The wireless router isn't an issue, I've one here I can use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

I've just signed up for 5mb last week. Any speedtests I've done register marginally over 5mb with upstream at 0.5.

I was waivering to the 15mb partially because you get the wifi-G router thrown in but instead opted to get this newer N-router that got really good reviews for $60

5mb is fine for watching any streaming content - 4od, RTE Player, youTube - no lag at all so far

And you can always upgrade later at no extra cost whereas you have to pay to downgrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Just remember you don't get the free wireless router on the 5mb package.

And consider yourself lucky that you don't get the all in one Cisco box as it's utter rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Spooky1666

I'm about to sign up to UPC, and I'm undecided between the 5 and 15 Mb packages. The two advantages of going for the 15, is that I get faster broadband obviously, but I additionally get unlimited downloads. The 5 Mb package has a 40 Gb cap.

I don't think I'll exceed 40 Gb. I don't do a huge amount of downloading, and have lived with o2's 10 Gb cap for 2 years. But my real question is, is the 5Mb package relatively speedy? Can you watch a youtube video without it pausing to buffer? Can you play games online? What kind of download speeds are people getting?

Thanks in advance!

I have the 5 meg package for quite awhile now and this is what I get
    911099128.png
    It's usually always this speed and the ping never goes over 70ms which is great. Youtube videos NEVER BUFFERED on me once which is brill and thats why I'm so happy with UPC. Skype is smooth and as for RTE Player the only one them i've used it everything went great :D I would definitely recommend it. 40G Limit is tons. I regularly download movies, music, apps and go on Youtube and I never go over the limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Spooky1666

bealtine wrote: »
    And consider yourself lucky that you don't get the all in one Cisco box as it's utter rubbish.

Is that wat they are giving now?? When I signed up I got a free Netgear G router :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Runs Cold

Thanks Kingambrose. My thoughts were try out the 5 Meg package too. If I need to download anything big, I'll just do it overnight. The wireless router isn't an issue, I've one here I can use.

5Mb if you are sure the router you have will work with cable -- dsl routers like eircom netopia etc will not work with upc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Couldn't have asked for better responses lads, especially the speed test. Thanks a million!

What I'm going to do for the moment is run a cat 5 cable between my wireless router and the cable modem. Then in time, I might get a better cable router altogether if I feel the need.

Thanks again guys! Looking forward to proper broadband now.

Advertisement