Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Individual Shimano Sprockets

• 11-08-2010 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

I've got an 11-28 Ultegra Cassette that I got for the Alps, but I've no use for now back in Ireland with such big gaps. I'm wondering if you can get individual sprockets to turn it into an 11-25 or something similar. I've checked ChainReaction & Wiggle & there's nothing on either site. Can this be done? Or am I imagining this?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The simple answer is no, unless you find someone who disassembles cassettes and sells the individual sprockets. Harris Cyclery in the USA used do this. But for all practical purposes, no, sell that one and buy a new cassette.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cormpat

Cheers Blorg, I'll guess I'll have to move to the Alps to give it some use!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

blorg wrote: »
    The simple answer is no, unless you find someone who disassembles cassettes and sells the individual sprockets. Harris Cyclery in the USA used do this. But for all practical purposes, no, sell that one and buy a new cassette.

Miche produce individual sprockets but the quality is meant to be pretty poor.

penexpers wrote: »
    Miche produce individual sprockets but the quality is meant to be pretty poor.

Do you know where you can buy them? I had a look at their website & there's no mention of Ireland, also do you know if there Shimano compatible? From the picture on their website they doesn't look like they would fit the Shimano hub.

Thanks,

On second thought, I'd probably be better off following Blorg's advice & just buy a new cassette as I couldn't be arsed if its not a simple matter of just slipping the new 25t sprocket on to the hub & then just sliding the next one on.

As Homer Simpson says "if something is to hard to do then its not worth doing"!:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

Maybe buy a Miche cassette with different ratios and swap out the sprockets. Not ideal as Miche isn't as durable as shimano. The most cost effective solution is a new shimano cassette

Mavic also sell individual sprockets albeit I think maybe with different spacing to Shimano and needing a Mavic hub. I don't think the idea of buying third party sprockets and trying to mix them up with bits of your existing Shimano cassette makes any sense or will necessarily work very well. Even with the disassembled Shimano cassettes the shifting ramps will not necessarily line up right any more if you are combining sprockets from different Shimano cassettes. It is meant to still work, but the whole thing is a very big hassle if you consider you could just buy a new cassette in the range you want probably not for any more money. As far as I can make out new 105 is virtually indistinguishable from new Ultegra.

new cassette it is!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

blorg wrote: »
    Harris Cyclery in the USA used do this.

Any idea why they stopped this service? Lack of demand?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Any idea why they stopped this service? Lack of demand?
    They may well still do it for all I know, it is still on their website. The main driver of all that, though, Sheldon Brown, passed away some years ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement