Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fasting

• 11-08-2010 3:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Salaam brothers and sisters,

Just wondering how you manage with fasting. It is a long one this year and I am fading already! What foods do you eat before sehri ends which you find gives you most energy throughout the day? Any other tips to help us who are finding it tough?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

It is a long one indeed...and it will be longer in the coming years...

I did not change my eating last night...untill now I feel kind of ok...The first days is always tough.
    I think you need to drink a lot of water before sehri...this is what I am doing anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Salaam brothers and sisters,

Just wondering how you manage with fasting. It is a long one this year and I am fading already! What foods do you eat before sehri ends which you find gives you most energy throughout the day? Any other tips to help us who are finding it tough?

From a purely non-Muslim point of view :) , I imagine for energy, you should get as many complex carbs are you can (they take longer to digest and so should give you a long steady output of energy) and avoid simple carbs, which will give you an initial rush of energy and then leave you crashing.

So, oatmeal, brown rice, bran, etc for the start of the day. Maybe some good quality oils as well, such as flaxseed (like Udo's Oil) and fish oil (not cod liver) and a protein shake (I imagine that no-one feels like a steak at 6am in the morning). You could always mix up something like an fruit/oatmeal smoothie with ground flaxseed or flaxseed oil? - http://www.ehow.com/how_2237804_oatmeal-smoothie.html

I'd be curious to know if people lose that much weight during Ramadan; sure, people probably eat less, but does the 15-odd hours you fast mean that your body goes into starvation mode? I think that is probably the main reason for the lack of energy. The average person would burn almost 2,000 calories in 15 hours of very mild activity, so you need to pack something like that into your breakfast.

P.

Good luck with the fasting :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

First day was grand. I have no trouble not eating, but its the lack of water that gets me, but so far this year, I haven't been to thirsty. I have made sure to drink plenty of water in the morning before the start of the fast, and that seems to do me for the rest of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Yesterday was grand. My approach this year in term of eating is to eat as much as possible the daily nutrition I need at night time. That means having 3 main meals in 7 hours. Loads of water, some milk/whey and cutting off rice, grain and pasta as I think this is a great opportunity to flat the belly. Also taking multivitamin and fish oil supplement.

During normal weeks, I physically train between 2-3 times a week but will likely do at least just 1 day in a week. Sleeping pattern has also changed, a nap in the evening after work and a sleep with a break to get up for last meal before sehri ends. Will definitely have a lot less sleep for this month doing all the eatings, Tarawih, etc.

Good luck to all with the fasting!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 al noor

Assalamu alaikum, I have porridge with banana and apple chopped into it and some honey. 2 boiled eggs, a glass of water and a large mug of tea.

It seems to be working so far, but I'm finding the last couple of hours before breaking fast to be very long and tough. I'm also overeating then when I break the fast and need to stop doing that.

In my case I don't lose weight during Ramadan as I eat too much and eat more fried things that I wouldn't normally eat.

Walaikum assalam.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

A man I work with is a Muslim, I'm quite happy for him to fast this month....

... it means I get to the microwave first at lunchtime! :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

al noor wrote: »
    .... I have porridge with banana and apple chopped into it and some honey. 2 boiled eggs, a glass of water and a large mug of tea.....

Yuk - Give me a couple of pork chops any day.

ONLY JOKING

I can't understand the reason for fasting in any religion.
    Why would a loving God expect His people to abstain from
    food (and sex) for a given period of time every year.

Its difficult to discuss this topic without running the risk of sounding flippant.
    Although there was an excellent piece on the Carol Coleman Programme this morning addressing this topic. Newstalk, The Wide Angle. (First half hour.)

Does God favour those who deny themselves the basic neccessities of survival more than those who indulge in them?
    As a child I was encouraged to abstain from the things I enjoyed during the Lenten season.
    Will the gates of Heaven be shut in my face because I secretly ate a Cadbury's Creme Egg on Good Friday when I was 9?

Will followers of Islam be banished to the fires of Hell for procreating with their
    husbands, wives, girlfriends, boyfriends etc during Ramadan?

I'm not knocking anyone who practices their faith, and I wish those who fast during Ramadan the best of luck.

I just don't understand it.

I hope I'm allowed to say this - Salaam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I might jump in here if ok, was reading on this subject this morning.

Fasting isn't that unusual.
    However, I was shocked to learn that during Ramadan that people will also not drink water during the specified hours.
    Not drink water :eek:

Suppose you are in the Middle East or even in Ireland on a scorching hot day and working on a building site drenched in sweat.
    Or if you are a professional athlete.
    This NFL manages to train without water but it's not so long ago that on the same team Kory Stringer collapsed and died on a training field from heat stroke.

Look, I'm not coming in trying to second guess anyones beliefs but I'm wondering on the safety aspect.
    If I'm in Saudi Arabia, it's 40 degrees and I'm expected to work on an oil rig.
    What happens if you start to flag and fail and in danger of collapsing? Are there exceptions to water fasting made?

I found this on it:
    http://www.middle-east-online.com/english/?id=40469
    Fatwa: UAE workers can break Ramadan fast in extreme heat

Religious edict says workers in certain professions can break fast because of severe hardship.

DUBAI - Workers contending with high heat and humidity can break their Ramadan fasts to avoid health problems, according to a fatwa issued by the state religious authority in the United Arab Emirates.

"It is permissible for workers in certain professions to break the fast because of severe hardship," says the fatwa, or Islamic religious edict, issued by the General Authority for Islamic Affairs and Endowments.

However, it also says that this is on the condition that the worker start the day fasting, and stop only when it is too difficult to continue.

The fatwa, published on the General Authority's website, was issued in response to a question from an oil rig worker who asked whether it was permissible to break his fast over fears of health problems from not eating or drinking while working in high heat and humidity.
    It goes on

edit: google says also you can rinse your mouth as long as you don't drink the water??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

bluewolf wrote: »
    I found this on it:
    http://www.middle-east-online.com/english/?id=40469

It goes on

edit: google says also you can rinse your mouth as long as you don't drink the water??

UAE make that ruling as it suits them to have their slave labourers working as many hours as possible. It would be more Islamic for them to give workers the month off or adjust the working hours so they can work throughout the night instead. Coming out with a ruling like that is a joke IMO.

I might jump in here if ok, was reading on this subject this morning.

Fasting isn't that unusual.
    However, I was shocked to learn that during Ramadan that people will also not drink water during the specified hours.
    Not drink water :eek:

Suppose you are in the Middle East or even in Ireland on a scorching hot day and working on a building site drenched in sweat.
    Or if you are a professional athlete.
    This NFL manages to train without water but it's not so long ago that on the same team Kory Stringer collapsed and died on a training field from heat stroke.

Look, I'm not coming in trying to second guess anyones beliefs but I'm wondering on the safety aspect.
    If I'm in Saudi Arabia, it's 40 degrees and I'm expected to work on an oil rig.
    What happens if you start to flag and fail and in danger of collapsing? Are there exceptions to water fasting made?

Most people in the middle east take it easy during Ramadan or do not work at all so it is not as big an issue for them as it is for us in the west. I work in an office so it is not too bad for me. I just feel my concentration going in the afternoon so I try to get all my important work done in the morning. I can't imagine how someone doing strenuous work such as working on a building site would manage. But they do.

Lapin wrote: »
    Yuk - Give me a couple of pork chops any day.

ONLY JOKING

Its difficult to discuss this topic without running the risk of sounding flippant.
    Although there was an excellent piece on the Carol Coleman Programme this morning addressing this topic. Newstalk, The Wide Angle. (First half hour.)

Does God favour those who deny themselves the basic neccessities of survival more than those who indulge in them?
    As a child I was encouraged to abstain from the things I enjoyed during the Lenten season.
    Will the gates of Heaven be shut in my face because I secretly ate a Cadbury's Creme Egg on Good Friday when I was 9?

Will followers of Islam be banished to the fires of Hell for procreating with their
    husbands, wives, girlfriends, boyfriends etc during Ramadan?

I'm not knocking anyone who practices their faith, and I wish those who fast during Ramadan the best of luck.

Firstly I would like to point out that when you actually do the fast it is not as difficult as you would think. Although compared to lent, it is like comparing the Premier League with Phoenix Park Sunday league!

Fasting beings many benefits. It gives us empathy with people in poorer countries who spend a lot of time hungry. In the west we never experience real hunger so we do not really know how starving people feel. So by fasting you focus your mind on these people and it tends to make you appreciate what you have as well as encouraging you to donate to needy people in other countries. It also teaches you self-restraint. We more or less can have whatever we want when we want it. It is good to deny yourself basic everyday things.

I think this article sums it up fairly:

http://islam.about.com/od/ramadan/a/ram_benefits.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 al noor

UAE make that ruling as it suits them to have their slave labourers working as many hours as possible. It would be more Islamic for them to give workers the month off or adjust the working hours so they can work throughout the night instead. Coming out with a ruling like that is a joke IMO.

I agree, 100%.

Also agree that fasting is not as difficult as it appears. Nothing in Islam is too hard if you really want it. And it's worth it.

145. Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet (PBUH) said, "The religion (of Islam) is easy, and whoever makes the religion a rigour, it will overpower him. So, follow a middle course (in worship); if you can't do this, do something near to it and give glad tidings and seek help (of Allah) at morn and at dusk and some part of night".
    [Al-Bukhari].

And lastly - porridge is not yuck! :P Don't knock it till you've tried it (like Islam! lol!). I used to hate porridge, all milky and sugary. Now I make it on water, chop in some fruit, add honey and cinnamon and YUM!! :pac:

waslaam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭demonspawn

Lapin wrote: »

I'd like to add my own personal opinion to this, though irishconvert explained it quite sufficiently.

I am not a Muslim. I was interested when I was younger and read quite a bit about it. It seems to me to be a religion based around empathy, to actual feel what others also feel.

I was homeless for the better part of three years. I was living on the streets and eating out of skips. The supermarket that I usually went to started pouring bleach on the things they would throw out, so I found myself without a reliable source of food. One day, I was so hungry I could barely stand up to go look for food. I was living several miles outside of the town center and simply walking in to find something to eat was just not gonna happen. Luckily, a friend who was keeping an eye on me showed up one day and went to buy me something right away. Without that generosity I might not be here today writing this post.

Thankfully my circumstances have changed and I hope to never experience that ever again.

I have the utmost respect for anyone, Muslim or not, willing to put themselves in this situation willingly, as it is a terrifying experience to be unable to feed yourself. I imagine those that perform regular fasts will be much more willing to help those without enough to eat, as they know what it's like from personal experience. This is why I believe Muslims fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

Fasting beings many benefits. It gives us empathy with people in poorer countries who spend a lot of time hungry. In the west we never experience real hunger so we do not really know how starving people feel. So by fasting you focus your mind on these people and it tends to make you appreciate what you have as well as encouraging you to donate to needy people in other countries.

If you need to fast to encourage you to donate to charity then that's a weakness on your part. Most people are capable of understanding the concept of starvation without starving themselves.
    It also teaches you self-restraint. We more or less can have whatever we want when we want it. It is good to deny yourself basic everyday things.

It's not good to stop eating for so long. It's really really unhealthy. I have a strict workout and clean eating schedule as part of my training. That requires discipline, self-restraint and appreciation of superflous foods. Starving yourself for any length of time is not good, so stop making up reasons that it is.

liamw wrote: »
    If you need to fast to encourage you to donate to charity then that's a weakness on your part. Most people are capable of understanding the concept of starvation without starving themselves.

Eh, no. Before I had the experience I've shared in my previous post, I had no idea what it was like to be that hungry. I always saw those people on TV and would think "Why don't they just go somewhere else and get some food?" It's not always that simple. It's hard to find food when your legs can't even support your own weight.
    It's not good to stop eating for so long. It's really really unhealthy. I have a strict workout and clean eating schedule as part of my training. That requires discipline, self-restraint and appreciation of superflous foods. Starving yourself for any length of time is not good, so stop making up reasons that it is.

Actually, fasting can be quite beneficial to your health. You body stores unhealthy fat when you consume more calories than you burn on a regular basis. By fasting, you force your body into what is called ketosis. This is when your body begins to burn off stored fats to make up for the loss of calories. Doing this once a year can be beneficial as these stored fats can also store toxic substances, which are then released from the body as the fats are burned.

demonspawn wrote: »
    Doing this once a year can be beneficial as these stored fats can also store toxic substances, which are then released from the body as the fats are burned.

Do you have any references for this assertion? Which toxic substances? How are they released?

P.

Well, we all have weaknesses. It is my personal experience that when fasting I think more about people in this world who are in need than at other times of the year.
    It's not good to stop eating for so long. It's really really unhealthy.
    Muslims have been doing it for 1400 years without major problems
    I have a strict workout and clean eating schedule as part of my training. That requires discipline, self-restraint and appreciation of superflous foods. Starving yourself for any length of time is not good, so stop making up reasons that it is.

You are entitled to your opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

You're saying it's really unhealthy to abstain from food from sunrise to sunset? Bit dramatic to call it 'starving' isn't it?

I've always found fasting to be very beneficial physically, mentally and spiritually.

• Advertisement

oceanclub wrote: »
    Do you have any references for this assertion? Which toxic substances? How are they released?

P.

"Chlordane and its breakdown products may be stored in body fat, where they cause no bad effects, unless released from body fat in large amounts. It may take months or years before the chlordane and the breakdown products that are stored in fat are able to leave the body."

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/phs31.html

That's one substance that can be stored in body fat. Fasting annually may provide a way of releasing these substances from the body before a fatal buildup occurs.

I always saw those people on TV and would think "Why don't they just go somewhere else and get some food?"

Honestly, that sounds like something a 5 year old would think.
    Actually, fasting can be quite beneficial to your health. You body stores unhealthy fat when you consume more calories than you burn on a regular basis. By fasting, you force your body into what is called ketosis. This is when your body begins to burn off stored fats to make up for the loss of calories. Doing this once a year can be beneficial as these stored fats can also store toxic substances, which are then released from the body as the fats are burned.

Burning off excess fat through proper nutrition and diet is the most effective way to release the toxins. When you put your body into a calorie deficit you're supposed to do it by slightly lowering your overall calorie intake while splitting your meals to 5/6 per day. This is the most effective way to stimulate your metabolism. Starving yourself for hours on end is not doing your metabolism any favours and it also means that you probably eat a lot in the window available.

I've been weight training for over 7 years consistently and I'm currently in a cutting cycle. Missing meals like this would be detrimental to both my training and my fat-loss goals.

Again, you guys can fast all you like; stop kidding yourselves into thinking it's healthy because it's not.

PDN wrote: »
    You're saying it's really unhealthy to abstain from food from sunrise to sunset? Bit dramatic to call it 'starving' isn't it?

I've always found fasting to be very beneficial physically, mentally and spiritually.

Talk to any qualified nutritionist and tell me what he/she tells you.

I've been weight training for over 7 years consistently and I'm currently in a cutting cycle. Missing meals like this would be detrimental to both my training and my fat-loss goals.

Some would argue that weight training is incredibly unhealthy. It puts unnecessary strain on the cardiovascular system, resulting in a much higher probability of stroke and heart attack in later life. But hey, I'm no doctor. What would I know? ;)

Edit: I think you're just being argumentative and insulting, with no real point to prove. As such I will no longer reply to your posts. I wish you a long and prosperous life.

Some would argue that weight training is incredibly unhealthy. It puts unnecessary strain on the cardiovascular system, resulting in a much higher probability of stroke and heart attack in later life. But hey, I'm no doctor. What would I know? ;)

Don't change the subject. We can talk about that on the Fitness forum if you would like.

Edit: I think you're just being argumentative and insulting, with no real point to prove. As such I will no longer reply to your posts. I wish you a long and prosperous life.

Wow, you have got to be kidding.

Ok, enough of the bickering about health benefits of fasting please. It is off topic and not going anywhere.

Thanks.

Ok, enough of the bickering about health benefits of fasting please. It is off topic and not going anywhere.

Thanks.

Actually, it could go somewhere if you had a decent rebuttal. I would have thought it quite an interesting topic to you guys, but that's OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I believe the biggest difference between fasting and maintaining a healthy lifestyle is that when you fast you do it for the sake of god. But when you eat healthy foods and exercise you do it for yourself.

Islam is a very spiritual religion like that. It's about submitting to god and doing everything for the sake of god. So god commanded people to fast for a month every year in his book, all muslims should obey it and fast showing your obedience and submission to god. You overcome you hunger and desires not for the sake of your own benefit but primarily for the sake of pleasing god. It helps discipline you spiritually which is different from the physical discipline.

And also there's the whole concept of getting rewarded for it greatly in the afterlife. Which in islam is a very central concept. You'ld be amazed by the amount of charity Muslims give during the month of ramadan.

• Advertisement

Actually, it could go somewhere if you had a decent rebuttal. I would have thought it quite an interesting topic to you guys, but that's OK.

It might have went somewhere without your condescending attitude which just winds people up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Muslim

I'd like to add my own personal opinion to this, though irishconvert explained it quite sufficiently.

I am not a Muslim. I was interested when I was younger and read quite a bit about it. It seems to me to be a religion based around empathy, to actual feel what others also feel.

I was homeless for the better part of three years. I was living on the streets and eating out of skips. The supermarket that I usually went to started pouring bleach on the things they would throw out, so I found myself without a reliable source of food. One day, I was so hungry I could barely stand up to go look for food. I was living several miles outside of the town center and simply walking in to find something to eat was just not gonna happen. Luckily, a friend who was keeping an eye on me showed up one day and went to buy me something right away. Without that generosity I might not be here today writing this post.

Thankfully my circumstances have changed and I hope to never experience that ever again.

I have the utmost respect for anyone, Muslim or not, willing to put themselves in this situation willingly, as it is a terrifying experience to be unable to feed yourself. I imagine those that perform regular fasts will be much more willing to help those without enough to eat, as they know what it's like from personal experience. This is why I believe Muslims fast.

Fascinating... Its good to know you are doing well now...

Also from what Lapin stated... Obviously it would be difficult for a non Muslim to understand but the real essence of Islam is that when you make sure that an order is from God (which we Muslims believe in) then you follow it no matter what that order is... Good examples to this were when God ordered Abraham to slaughter his own son through dreams... Now rationally that makes no sense but Abraham and his son were prophets of God who knew God better than all of us... So they both decided to accept God's commandment even though it is so irrational to the human mind... Similarly God will order the one who never heard of Islam in this world to jump in the fire on the last day and the one who does will actually go to Heaven... for he accepted the order of God...

Hope this help...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Muslim

I believe the biggest difference between fasting and maintaining a healthy lifestyle is that when you fast you do it for the sake of god. But when you eat healthy foods and exercise you do it for yourself.

Islam is a very spiritual religion like that. It's about submitting to god and doing everything for the sake of god. So god commanded people to fast for a month every year in his book, all muslims should obey it and fast showing your obedience and submission to god. You overcome you hunger and desires not for the sake of your own benefit but primarily for the sake of pleasing god. It helps discipline you spiritually which is different from the physical discipline.

And also there's the whole concept of getting rewarded for it greatly in the afterlife. Which in islam is a very central concept. You'ld be amazed by the amount of charity Muslims give during the month of ramadan.

Agreed 100 %

I totally agree. But people here were trying to argue that it was actually physically healthy to fast.
    It might have went somewhere without your condescending attitude which just winds people up.

Maybe people get wound up too easily. I challenge someone's views and get accused of being condescending and offensive. As a moderator you should encourage critical questioning in a public forum. Otherwise, make it private, and I won't challenge you next time your wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

People here were trying to argue that it was actually physically healthy to fast.

I suspect that this is the classic on-line forum problem of over-generalisation. For some people, fasting during daylight hours for a few weeks will provide an opportunity to reduce food intake and possibly to give up harmful habits. But the nutritional downside of Ramadan is the evening meal, which often involves excessive eating at times when the body cannot cope well with large quantities of food. Some of my Muslim friends found that they actually put weight on during Ramadan, so they are now careful not to over-eat in the evenings.

Here is a relevant article from a back issue of The Guardian, which I think gives a balanced account. The article suggests that Ramadan can often be relatively unhealthy, but it can give some people the encouragement to give up habits such as smoking (though it hasn't seemed to work for my Muslim friends from the Middle East, most of whom are chronic smokers :rolleyes:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

I am finding that the ramadan fasting is very hard on me.
    I am not fasting personally, myself as I am not muslim nor could I do without 4 square meals a day and for sure not without water.
    Rather, I find that it has severely affected the energy levels of many of our key people.
    The guys are tired all day. The drivers are always sluggish, lazy and tired because of their fast. The security, doormen etc are all underpreforming in their jobs, creating safety issues.
    Administration staff are cranky and irratible during the days, but just fine at night.
    Dealing with public officials in offices, embassies etc is a nightmare as they are on reduced hours and so on.
    The other day, some beggars were tapping on the window of my SUV. It wasn´t even that annoying as its hard to hear tapping through the bulletproof glass. But I gave them a bunch of cokes from the cooler (35 degrees outside) before I realised where I had gone wrong. Their faces :( I hoped I didn´t unknowingly tempt any of the poor guys into breaking their fast mid-day.
    Fasting is very hard on us, anybody have any tips?

• Advertisement

Maybe people get wound up too easily. I challenge someone's views and get accused of being condescending and offensive. As a moderator you should encourage critical questioning in a public forum. Otherwise, make it private, and I won't challenge you next time your wrong.

We welcome questioning from posters interested in Islam, however your line of questioning is confrontational, bordering on attacking people's views. It seems to me like you are just trying to wind people up.
    If you need to fast to encourage you to donate to charity then that's a weakness on your part.
    Starving yourself for any length of time is not good, so stop making up reasons that it is.
    Honestly, that sounds like something a 5 year old would think.

hivizman wrote: »
    I suspect that this is the classic on-line forum problem of over-generalisation. For some people, fasting during daylight hours for a few weeks will provide an opportunity to reduce food intake and possibly to give up harmful habits. But the nutritional downside of Ramadan is the evening meal, which often involves excessive eating at times when the body cannot cope well with large quantities of food. Some of my Muslim friends found that they actually put weight on during Ramadan, so they are now careful not to over-eat in the evenings.

I find it impossible to overeat in the evenings. I get full with a much smaller quantity of food than normal after fasting. However I will balance this out by eating some more food a few hours later. I suppose it's like a normal dinner spilt into two.

Fuzzy wrote: »
    I am finding that the ramadan fasting is very hard on me.
    I am not fasting personally, myself as I am not muslim nor could I do without 4 square meals a day and for sure not without water.
    Rather, I find that it has severely affected the energy levels of many of our key people.
    The guys are tired all day. The drivers are always sluggish, lazy and tired because of their fast. The security, doormen etc are all underpreforming in their jobs, creating safety issues.
    Administration staff are cranky and irratible during the days, but just fine at night.
    Dealing with public officials in offices, embassies etc is a nightmare as they are on reduced hours and so on.
    The other day, some beggars were tapping on the window of my SUV. It wasn´t even that annoying as its hard to hear tapping through the bulletproof glass. But I gave them a bunch of cokes from the cooler (35 degrees outside) before I realised where I had gone wrong. Their faces :( I hoped I didn´t unknowingly tempt any of the poor guys into breaking their fast mid-day.
    Fasting is very hard on us, anybody have any tips?

Where are u based Fuzzy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

<-- I travel a fair bit, work has me in the ME at the mo.

Also I had always wondered if pregnant women fast during ramadan?
    Children, I know don´t have to fast but what about preggers?

Likewise what is the party like afterwards? I´ve been reliably assured that the entire country will celebrate the end of Ramadadnan with the best party of the year. I´m expecting great things I will let you guys know how it goes. Some would say that I don´t deserve to attend as I am not fasting, but believe me (as per my previous post), I DO feel your pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Heres a quick question. I've never tried this myself but what do you think about chewing gum during Ramadan? Technically its not eating but I suppose you are getting some flavor from it?

• Advertisement

We welcome questioning from posters interested in Islam, however your line of questioning is confrontational, bordering on attacking people's views. It seems to me like you are just trying to wind people up.

Next time I'll make sure to dress up my responses nicely. Seriously, when you get in a debate, don't get all annoyed when someone responds directly.

And as for 'attacking' peoples views, it's called directly questioning someone's views. If you are not open to your views being critized then that is a real pity. Further, when someone does critize your views, don't get offended when they respond directly. Well, at least I hope you realised that fasting is not physically healthy; I'm pretty sure you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Fuzzy wrote: »
    <-- I travel a fair bit, work has me in the ME at the mo.

Also I had always wondered if pregnant women fast during ramadan?
    Children, I know don´t have to fast but what about preggers?

Likewise what is the party like afterwards? I´ve been reliably assured that the entire country will celebrate the end of Ramadadnan with the best party of the year. I´m expecting great things I will let you guys know how it goes. Some would say that I don´t deserve to attend as I am not fasting, but believe me (as per my previous post), I DO feel your pain.

Pregnant women are exempt from fasting as it's unhealthy for them. So are women who're at their "time of the month".

And you can always join the party if you wish to. Most Muslims are very inviting and warm so you shouldn't be made to feel that you don't deserve to be there.

And you can always join the party if you wish to. Most Muslims are very inviting and warm so you shouldn't be made to feel that you don't deserve to be there.

I'm disappointed by the lack of "Ramadan specials" in Ireland. :)

EDIT: By coincidence, just saw one advertised in Madina on Mary St....

P.

Jaafa wrote: »
    Heres a quick question. I've never tried this myself but what do you think about chewing gum during Ramadan? Technically its not eating but I suppose you are getting some flavor from it?

When I was living in the U.S., a friend of mine would chew on a particular root (can't remember what it was for the life of me) because fasting can make your breath stink due to ketosis. I imagine it also encouraged salivation so you don't walk around with a dry mouth all day long.

Edit: While I was looking for the root my friend used to chew, I found this post on a separate forum. I thought it was quite interesting.
    If all we do is not eat, then our only benefit is that we’ll be hungry. There are many secrets to Ramadan. Each time we do this fast, some secrets may be revealed to us.

Fasting is the only worship of Allah done in total secrecy. Only Allah knows. … We pray openly in front of other people, it is seen. When we give charity, we give it out. But fasting is a secret between each person and Allah. And only Allah knows whether you do it or don’t do it. You can stay home and eat three meals a day and tell people you’re fasting. Nobody knows. Only Allah knows. And you know.

But fasting from food is just a small part of Ramadan. We have to fast from our anger. We have to fast from being greedy, being unkind, being unfriendly. We have to have a fast of speech. Only say things that we really mean. Only hear those things that are necessary for us to hear … No frivolity.

Link to the forum: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=62410607

Edit 2: Another very interesting read: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=62357353&postcount=49

Next time I'll make sure to dress up my responses nicely. Seriously, when you get in a debate, don't get all annoyed when someone responds directly.
    I never got annoyed.
    And as for 'attacking' peoples views, it's called directly questioning someone's views. If you are not open to your views being critized then that is a real pity. Further, when someone does critize your views, don't get offended when they respond directly. Well, at least I hope you realised that fasting is not physically healthy; I'm pretty sure you have.

Either is going on the piss, doesn't stop most people though, does it?

I never got annoyed.

Ahem :)

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,2014332,00.html
    But a new paper in the journal Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research suggests that — for reasons that aren't entirely clear — abstaining from alcohol does tend to increase one's risk of dying, even when you exclude former problem drinkers. The most shocking part? Abstainers' mortality rates are higher than those of heavy drinkers.

P.

By going on the piss I mean going on the lash, excessive drinking :)

By going on the piss I mean going on the lash, excessive drinking :)

AHEM! :)

(No, seriously, read the article; it's fairly mind-wrecking and certainly contradicts my own assumptions that very moderate drinkers were probably healthier than non-drinkers, but that heavy drinkers would be the least healthy.)

P.

Don't get your point. I was merely saying that fasting is not physically healthy. That is all.

the researchers (a six-member team led by psychologist Charles Holahan of the University of Texas at Austin) found that over a 20-year period, mortality rates were highest for those who were not current drinkers, regardless of whether they used to be alcoholics.....

So am I correct in thinking that former alchos were included in the "abstainers" group? I'm pretty sure having a barely functioning liver has something to do with their life expectancy. I wonder what the results would be if they only included those that never took a drink in their life. I also wonder how much the drinks industry paid to have this pseudo-scientific nonsense published in a (formerly) respected news publication.

• Advertisement
Advertisement