Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Headset

Options
  • 11-08-2010 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a decent gaming headset. My budget is around 150 - 175 euro.

I play on ps3, xbox and pc so it;ll have to work on all 3.

Optical sound is probably the best option here since its easiy done on all 3 formats.

I've been looking at the Tritton AX Pro and the Turtle Beach x41s

But i'm not sure which one? Any help is appreciated and if you have another suggestion for a headset that'd be great...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

What a waste of money - 170 euro ?!

Do you know how much cheap beer you can get in Aldi for that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

This perhaps? :)

You could also look at adding the Astro Mix Amp to add further compatibility with consoles etc...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

some form of Sennheiser if you can. they tend not to break :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 RafoLordOfWars

Trittons all the way ...... can be used with great effect on both consels and also pc or anything that takes optics, Good build quality, only down side with the ax pro is there not wireless, so if ya dont mind the cables lying around go for it. Got mine from lime360, a great site to deal with.

My 2c's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I have the Turtle Beach X41s and can't recommend them highly enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Jazzy wrote: »
    some form of Sennheiser if you can. they tend not to break :)

Senns PC-350. Amazing headset. Never heard any complaints from anyone who got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Anything wireless that is any good yet?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Another vote for Sennheiser,easily the best headsets ive used and ive used a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/ps3-gaming-headsets/ear-force-px21.aspx

i have those and have had no probs with any console sound is amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

I use the Turtle Beach PX21s. Fantastic headset IMO, and cheap enough. Paid 80 in gamestop for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Overheal wrote: »
    Anything wireless that is any good yet?

Sennheiser RS 180 and 170s are supposed to be quite good. Getting mine in a few weeks. Price is 180e for the 180s and 150e for the 170s on komplett.ie
    They use Kleer tech (a form of digital compression) to ensure highest quality sound, which basically means that it eliminates the fuzz you normally get from wireless headphones and sounds as good as wired headphones. At least that's what the reviews say: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rs+180+review

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Those have no mic though. I think turtle beach still make the only wireless gaming headsets. They still have to be wired up to work with PC AFAIK.

X41s have good surround, very handy for shooters. They are huge though and get a bit uncomfortable after a few games, but that could just be me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 meeney78

tough alright to find a good headset these days, best bet is to find a reliable site online and do your own reviews to suit your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yeah you cant call it a gaming headset without a mic. And you cant call it a gaming wireless headset without a decent mic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

senn 350s
    HD555s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

If you're looking for a guide to gaming headsets, check out this guide to gaming headsets/headphones:

http://www.overclock.net/sound-cards-computer-audio/368653-ocnhc-guide-gaming-headphones-headsets.html

Fnz wrote: »
    If you're looking for a guide to gaming headsets, check out this guide to gaming headsets/headphones:

http://www.overclock.net/sound-cards-computer-audio/368653-ocnhc-guide-gaming-headphones-headsets.html
    Nice run down!

I wasn't joking above when I said one of the best headsets would be one of the Audio-Technica (or indeed non-gaming Sennheiser product) headphones and then attaching the mic to it. Gaming headsets, in general, are blown away by their hi-fi brethren and with gear like the Mix Amp you can have the best of both worlds once you connect up a mic.

On a personal note, I have a paid of the Audio Technica ATH-A900 (bigger brother of the A700s from that article) and they annihilate even the most expensive gaming headsets I've used. I got mine from Audio Cubes when the Euro was pounding the dollar but if you're looking into high end gaming headsets they'd still probably work out competitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'd asked about this in the headphones forum, and was pretty much told get non-gaming headphones and then get a mic separately.Ordered the Sennheiser HD555s last night, as they seemed to be recommended a lot

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

senn 350s
    HD555s
    titan18 wrote: »
    I'd asked about this in the headphones forum, and was pretty much told get non-gaming headphones and then get a mic separately.Ordered the Sennheiser HD555s last night, as they seemed to be recommended a lot

:cool:

Good headset, cheapish in comparison if I remember right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

:cool:

Good headset, cheapish in comparison if I remember right

I'd have got the HD595s but they're like 60 euro more and I don't they're worth that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

gizmo wrote: »
    Nice run down!

I wasn't joking above when I said one of the best headsets would be one of the Audio-Technica (or indeed non-gaming Sennheiser product) headphones and then attaching the mic to it. Gaming headsets, in general, are blown away by their hi-fi brethren and with gear like the Mix Amp you can have the best of both worlds once you connect up a mic.

On a personal note, I have a paid of the Audio Technica ATH-A900 (bigger brother of the A700s from that article) and they annihilate even the most expensive gaming headsets I've used. I got mine from Audio Cubes when the Euro was pounding the dollar but if you're looking into high end gaming headsets they'd still probably work out competitive.

Agreed,i love my ath-ad700's :D
    got mine from ebay for just over €100 delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Just thought I'd chip in and say go for some Sennheiser headset/phones, I have Sennheiser HD418 Headphones and they are magnificent.

Nice run down!

On a personal note, I have a paid of the Audio Technica ATH-A900 (bigger brother of the A700s from that article)

I went with the open-backed, Audio Technica ATH-AD700 headphones from the guide. Figured the impressive soundstage these are alleged to have would help with positional audio.

I'm happy with them. Wearing glasses, I've had trouble finding headphones I could stand to wear for any length of time but these are pretty good in that respect. The bass is definitely lacking but can be compensated for with my current set up.

Got them through Beach Camera, an Amazon.com marketplace seller.

Burgo wrote: »
    i love my ath-ad700's :D

High five! *SMACK* :D

I went with the open-backed, Audio Technica ATH-AD700 headphones from the guide. Figured the impressive soundstage these are alleged to have would help with positional audio.
    Ah, I originally bought mine for work with some gaming at home so a closed-back set was a must. The AD700s are meant to be awesome though, as the links clearly state.
    Got them through Beach Camera, an Amazon.com marketplace seller.
    That's a bloody fantastic price for those headphones, you'd be crazy not go with them at that price! :D

That's a bloody fantastic price for those headphones, you'd be crazy not go with them at that price! :D

Yeah, delivery ($49) and import VAT (€20 + €12 Fedex admin. fee) doubles the price.

$178 or €138 all in. :mad:

Advertisement