Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Business School MBA - recommended?

Options
  • 11-08-2010 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

I have a niece who has a degree in Property Management followed by a Masters in Quantity Surveying. Problem is that given the current and at least medium term outlook her employment prospects are bleak in Ireland.

Even getting work experience is proving very difficult so in her / her parents exasperation she is thinking of broadening her academic qualifications by doing an MBA to allow her to get into a business related discipline.

They are considering apply for an MBA in Business Management or Postgraduate Higher Diploma in Business in the Dublin Business School and the question is really are either or both of these well recognised. Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Roy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

How old is she ? MBA's would generally be for those with 7+ years in the workforce who now want to move on into senior management, network in such arenas and get an overall perspective of how companies and the market function. Alternatively, they are good for entrepeneurs who want to start up their own business. I don't think that they are a natural add on qualification for recent graduates. If she is such a graduate, then the H-Dip might be more suited.

I've no knowledge of DBS but why are you/they thinking of it as a choice ? If it's for a cheaper MBA she might spend no more doing a postgrad in UCD or Trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

With the MBA, I think you are buying the School and the network.

I don't think an MBA from the Dublin Business School is recognized ~(possibly enough..)

In Ireland, if it was me, I would only go with Smurfit, cost you a small kidney (15 K a year) but I think the chances of getting a better job at the end is better, the network is better, and recognition around the world is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭onekeano

Folks, thanks very much for all the feedback, much appreciated!

Plenty of food for thought

Roy

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ramblingcelt

Would have to agree with Static. Did my MBA at a very well ranked Business School abroad. Employers here are not interested as my network is not Ireland specific.

Also, an MBA is not a sure way in to a good job. It helps but only when it sits on top of solid experience in the area you are applying for. Your niece would be better off taking that 15,000 + and going abroad to work.

My advice is only do an MBA when those in higher positions in your industry have and value them themselves. Be wary of the 'sell' from providers.

Regarding accreditation, you should be looking for EQUIS, AMBA and / or AACSB.

Advertisement