Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the worst place you've woken up?

Options
  • 11-08-2010 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

Probably not as bad as this fella...

Source
    Explorer Wakes Up In Jaws Of A Polar Bear:

An explorer has described the moment he was attacked by a polar bear - waking up to find the animal's jaws around his head.

Sebastian Plur Nilssen was attacked last week as he slept in a tent on the Arctic archipelago of Svalbard.
    Mr Nilssen was travelling with his expedition partner, Ludvig Fjeld, as they attempted to become the first ever team to paddle 1,250 miles around the island chain.
    Despite protecting their tent with a trip-wire hooked to a early warning flare, Mr Nilssen woke face-to-face with the biggest land predator in the world.
    The 23-year-old was dragged screaming from the tent, with his head clamped in the animal's jaws.

The polar bear was shot dead after the attack
    The adult male bear flung the young explorer's body from side to side in an attempt to stun him, a technique typically used on its usual prey of seals.
    The polar bear's teeth pierced Mr Nilssen's lung as it fought for a better grip and narrowly missed a main artery in his neck.
    "It was so strong I could not fight, I grabbed for my shotgun and tried to shoot it but [the polar bear] had snapped [the gun] in half," he said.
    "It must have been only a minute I was in his jaws but it felt like forever.
    "It was a big bear, at one point it stood up on its back legs with me in its mouth, I was 2.5 metres off the ground and it seemed very high."

Mr Nilssen was sleeping in his tent when the polar bear attacked
    As the bear made off with Mr Nilssen, his 22-year-old expedition partner scrambled to find their other rifle.
    "I was about 20 or 25 metres from the bear and it had Sebastian in its mouth, I was very worried I did not want to hit Sebastian as well," said Mr Fjeld.
    "That would have been a really bad day for him.
    "When I fired the first shot, the bear dropped him, but I had to fire four more to make sure it was dead.

The bear broke Mr Nilssen's gun that he had hoped to defend himself with
    Mr Nilssen was airlifted from the scene, bleeding heavily, and was rushed into an emergency three-hour operation.
    But despite his brush with death, Mr Nilssen said he was not angry at the bear, speculating that it carried out its unusual attack on humans because it was hungry.
    "I must be one of the only people in the world who can say when people ask me about my scars, 'I got them in a fight with a polar bear'," he said.
    Polar bears are protected under strict conservation laws and can only be shot in self defence.

Mr Nilssen said he was not angry with the bear over the attack
    I've woken up beside a heffer once or twice, but not a bear! :pac:

Pity they shot the bear though..
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

The scariest place I've woken up was in a car.
    I was driving across Germany with my brother a few years ago after a seriously long weekend on the lash. He's lived over there for years and I was visiting him for a birthday or something.
    I was in a worse state than him so I just crashed out.

I kinda half woke up not really remembering where I was..

But, all of a sudden I was on the drivers side of a strange car (Yup forgot I was even in Germany), at night time, doing about 160Kph down what appeared to be the wrong side of a motorway... and I couldn't find the steering wheel...

Apparently I sat bolt upright, screamed, and nearly put my foot through the floor looking for the pedals. :o

It only lasted a few seconds but I absolutely shat myself.

In before all of those god damn crappy puns.
    I can't bear them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Woke up in Cork a couple of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Wazdakka wrote: »
    In before all of those god damn crappy puns.

I can't bear them

You love them Waz :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

A kip in a hot room somewhere...don't know where it was...won't mention it! Was up the country somewhere...:p

Worst place I woke up in was A & E and in hospitals. Gives me the heeby geebies thinking about it! urgh!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Sykk wrote: »
    Probably not as bad as this fella...

Source

I've woken up beside a heffer once or twice, but not a bear! :pac:

Pity they shot the bear though..

did the heffer come into your tent as well

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

In the back of a strangers car. He wasn't impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Hospital after being concussed. Woke up not knowing how I got there or what was wrong with me. Completely disorientated. Scary as hell. Hope it never happens again.

I imagine waking up in Roscommon to be worse but only just.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Longford.

I think that Cathedral burned itself down last year just to be out of the place finally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Woke up on the floor in a corner of grand central station in new york. Was woken thanks to the boot of a cop.

leitrim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SadieSue

Hospital after having my appendix out, I was wrapped up like a mummy in a blanket.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

In Omeath in county Louth. I was there for a few days and literally every morning when I woke up I was sad to realise I was still there, and kept hoping when I drew back the curtains that I'd be back in Dublin. Hated every second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

In a puddle in a tent.

Where ever I had stayed overnight when seagulls cried outside my window!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Where ever I had stayed overnight when seagulls cried outside my window!:mad:

Don't effin' start me on seagulls please...................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Bryant Park in New York. I can confirm those cops out there don't like ya using a park bench for a bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I woke up outside a supposedly 24 hour bar that was closed. Was on holiday in greece. After an all day and night bender I slept at the front door waiting for them to open so I could keep on going.
    Woke up a few hours later with the hot greek sun waking my hangover up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

kfallon wrote: »
    Don't effin' start me on seagulls please...................

go on...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Dermo wrote: »
    go on...

Nothing sinister but they've been waking me up at 5am every morn for the last two weeks, screeching fookers!

In an un-air-conditioned room! :(

• Advertisement

In an un-air-conditioned room! :(

with seaguls crying outside your window?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

irish-stew wrote: »
    leitrim

Nice try Stew, but we all know Leitrim doesn't exist!

Hmmm, Front step of a really shítty hostel in Vienna or the middle of a field in Tallaght, alone.

Obviously hammered both times.

My mate woke up in his car parked on Dame street. He had originally parked in Stephens Green and doesn't remember moving it. That shít's scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

In the wetness in the bottom of a rowboat off the pier in Rush.

I was all soggy down one side and had a half hour walk in the dead of night to get back to where I was staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

The heathers outside the front of the house with the oul fella standing over me shaking his head. They were strangely comfy those heathers.

Moyross too; but we won't mention any more anout that. :eek:

NothingMan wrote: »
    Nice try Stew, but we all know Leitrim doesn't exist!

Hmmm, Front step of a really shítty hostel in Vienna or the middle of a field in Tallaght, alone.

Obviously hammered both times.

My mate woke up in his car parked on Dame street. He had originally parked in Stephens Green and doesn't remember moving it. That shít's scary.

that explains the problems i had trying to get out of the place

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭spudd

woke up in a nightclub bathroom a few hours after it had closed, was fairly disorientated walking around the place trying to work out where all the people was gone and why the music and lights were off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

At a party, after a heavy night of drinking, I blacked out and then found myself on the toilet taking a ****. I somehow went into automatic during everything and I only realised what happened when I started washing my hands. Left the toilet and everyone in the house was asleep so went back to sleep myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Out one night drunk. It was pouring rain, the kind we see just a few times a year.

My office was nearby so I got the bright idea I'd go in there to my desk and sleep. Under my desk even, it was the weekend so I wouldn't be disturbed.

Security guy kicked my drunken ass out of the building, he was right too, I've no complaints.

A few weeks later somebody else did the same and was found asleep under their desk. They got sacked. :eek:
    Very harsh imo, I didn't think it was a sackable offence.
    That could have be me getting sacked, phew!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

in bed with my boss :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Woke up once face down in wet grass, managed to get up onto all fours then realising i was in my friends parents front garden. As i was was crawling over the wall to go home there where plenty of people off to mass including my mothers friends. If looks could kill. Dont think she ever found out.

Advertisement