Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tripods for self portraits?

• 11-08-2010 4:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I’m off on holiday in a few weeks and I am considering purchasing a tripod to take some landscapes and self portraits whilst there (as I travel alone).
    I’ve got a Panasonic FX-35 and I just cannot get night shots to be clear. I’ve tried the night mode and also the auto select mode. I think part of the problem is that I cannot hold the camera steady enough whilst the image is being captured – am I correct by saying that night photos take a longer period of time to capture on the CCD due to ISO level used?
    Are there any suitable full length tripods which I can get, which are quite light weight or is a gorillapod my best option? I can’t forsee me being able to take self portraits with a gorillapod easily – or am I wrong on this?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated as I hate the embarassment of asking someone else to take my photo – especially as most of the people take unintentionally crap shots which disappoint me!

Thanks.

Comments

Tripod I use is a SLIK Pro 400DX. It cost me about €100 and looks as though it'll fit into a travel case (Though I haven't stuck it in one, yet).

You definitely need a tripod for night shots (or a solid, immovable surface of some type). I don't believe the human body can stay perfectly still for any more than half a second, and a night shot can take from 2 seconds to 30 seconds (depending on what you're trying to accomplish).

Next time you plan to take a night shot, sit the camera on a wall, bench, etc. and use the timer mode (2 seconds, 10 seconds, whatever) and that's pretty much the result you'll get from a tripod, except of course you can carry a tripod with you.

If you plan to do self portraits then a shutter release is probably essential to get the focusing accurate. Otherwise you'll have to set the time, focus on something, press the shutter button and get in front of the camera at the same distance as the object you focused on.

Having a shutter release should eliminate a lot of "trial and error" photographs, as you know that the camera will (should) focus on you (though of course there may be exceptions where the camera will struggle but if you choose the focus points before you step in front of the camera, then you should be OK, i'd assume).

It's probably worth noting that I barely use my tripod and shutter release has been used once I'd say, but I believe those are the best pieces of equipment for you.

A tripod could be got at a decent price in a photo store or chemist, but I'd recommend ebay for the shutter releases, as they cost feck all.

(that said, I don't know if the camera you have will be compatible with a shutter release?)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a night shot can take from 2 seconds to 30 seconds (depending on what you're trying to accomplish).
    to much longer than that, but afaik a lot of digital SLRs max out at 30s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Good night shots can actually take minutes, or even hours, depending on what you're doing. :)

One of my favorite shots (which I can't share because, although I have the only existing print. I do not have reproduction rights from the photographer.) is a shot of about 10 minutes of an alleyway. Several people walked through the alley..and they showup only as ghostly streaks of lights.. it's pretty awesome. (Mike Tyrell is the name of the photographer.. haven't heard from him in far too long.)
    to much longer than that, but afaik a lot of digital SLRs max out at 30s.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭IamBlip

I think MB was talking about using the camera's on board timer for long exposures rather than Bulb mode and a shutter release.

For landscapes and nightshots a tripod is a must

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Some kind of remote release is actually pretty important. (especially if it's IR or RF rather than a cable release.) even if you have a good tripod. (I have a good tripod..and can still see motion blur added by releasing the shutter manually in a shot.)
    IamBlip wrote: »
    I think MB was talking about using the camera's on board timer for long exposures rather than Bulb mode and a shutter release.

For landscapes and nightshots a tripod is a must

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

I got the gorillapod as a present with the ball joint head. I can't praise this thing enough. It wraps around everything and anything and is on of the 'constants' in or attached to the strap of my bag. I also found a neat little trick-if you put two of the legs over your each of your shoulders and then the other one coming straight down onto your chest, it helps alot with keeping the camera still for normal shots. I did some daylight waterfall long shutter exposure shots with it and they worked a treat. (I know its an overdone shot-but I just wanted to mess around with my camera a bit)

I love the gorrila pod-and would recommend it for travelling in an instant! Im currently travelling with it now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Went travelling for four months with a tripod and gorillapod. Wasn't long in ditching the tripod, and was never found wanting for it.

Gorillapod doing its thing in the Australian Outback....

09D5302AB82042D9AC3438480631E5FF.jpg?r=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

It really is so versatile! It's not just a normal tripod!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

For travelling I would also reccommend the Gorillapod. They are just so handy to carry around. Carry mine with me a lot.

Advertisement