Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forster Street

Options
  • 11-08-2010 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭

After correcting an estate agent i was informed to i was wrong on the pronunciation of Forster Street. I was not, she was but i didn't want to be all annoying over it (which i can be). I've seen locals incorrectly correct tourists on this and everything.

Does it drive anyone else mental that Forster Street (fOAr-sTER) is pronounced Foster (FOSt-ER)? Why is this? Anyone has a notion as to why this is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

After correcting an estate agent i was informed to i was wrong on the pronunciation of Forster Street. I was not, she was but i didn't want to be all annoying over it (which i can be). I've seen locals incorrectly correct tourists on this and everything.

Does it drive anyone else mental that Forster Street (fOAr-sTER) is pronounced Foster (FOSt-ER)? Why is this? Anyone has a notion as to why this is?

I say Foster street, which is easier for us to pronounce, just like Dubs say Gardner stree instead of Gardiner Street. you might say its the local accent of which there are a few in galway.
    have you ever been to Herterich the butcher know locally as hetridges as any of us cannot pronounce German names.
    you probably say Anthony Ryans which the indigeous population have been heard to say Anhny Ryan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Forster's.....good call :D

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

OP, take a deep breadth and go fur a walk frum Foster Street, thru Ayre Sqaure, along Eglington Street, over Salmon Leap Bridge and out to Quincentennial Bridge :-)

I don't even bother correcting people any more. I've just chosen to blame txtspeak.

soundbyte wrote: »
    OP, take a deep breadth and go fur a walk frum Foster Street, thru Ayre Sqaure, along Eglington Street, over Salmon Leap Bridge and out to Quincentennial Bridge :-)

I don't even bother correcting people any more. I've just chosen to blame txtspeak.

this is not text speak. in fact its more the older generation that will say foster street and hetridges.its the Galway accent if you will.

generally only people who have a problem with our lack of th tree trees instead of three trees have a problem with it.

maybe I will go into the dublin forum and criticise teh dubs who say Dooblin instead of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭GalwayGuy92

Somehow I doubt you could class it as incorrectly correcting people, so what the word is spelt differently than it is pronounced. This happens all the time, the word 'island' for example. I dont go around correcting people for not pronouncing the s in it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

ah i never noticed it was spelt that way. i aways thought it was foster.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    this is not text speak. in fact its more the older generation that will say foster street and hetridges.

What i meant was, people can't spell for sh!t, and the problem has worsened dramatically over the past seven or eight years. I put that down to texting.

Agreed about Forster/Foster, but how is Quincentennial an accentual thing?

I think these 'mistaken' names are pseudo-colloquialisms rather than accentual, maybe a combination of both.

However, when I hear business names pluralised here, it always brings a smile to my face; Dunnes-es, Tesco-s, Roches-es, H Williams-es, BT-s, CP-s etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Megatron_X

What i meant was, people can't spell for sh!t, and the problem has worsened dramatically over the past seven or eight years. I put that down to texting.

I think these 'mistaken' names are pseudo-colloquialisms rather than accentual, maybe a combination of both.

However, when I hear business names pluralised here, it always brings a smile to my face; Dunnes-es, Tesco-s, Roches-es, H Williams-es, BT-s, CP-s etc.

I can't even imagine saying I'm going to Eason, it sounds so wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I think it has more to do with people not knowing the correct spelling rather than an incorrect pronunciation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭telepylus

guilty as charged ha.

I pronounced it Forster street alright, just because I seen it on the map etc, before I heard people say it. Does it reeeeally matter what way something is pronounced if people get what you are saying? I think people are often too pedantic over things like this, it's hardly the apocalypse

• Advertisement

I went to Cps is fine by me. suggests genitive. if you want people to speak perfect English maze you should be in oxford or cambridge. its not something people here lose much sleep over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Anyone notice Galweigans pronounce House as How-zz and Us as Uzz?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭telepylus

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Anyone notice Galweigans pronounce House as How-zz and Us as Uzz?

Shhtop that, they're the besshht in the wessht

I went to Cps is fine by me. suggests genitive.

You'd be happy enough with GPOs then also, presumably? :D
    its not something people here lose much sleep over.

I don't lose any sleep over it either, as I said in my previous post, it always brings a smile to my face. And I'm from Galway.

What I said annoyed me is people calling things by the incorrect name i.e. Quincentennial Bridge, Eglington Street. That is not mispronunciation, it's just incorrect.

I say Forster.. Kind of like "Four star" with a speech impediment.

telepylus wrote: »
    Shhtop that, they're the besshht in the wessht

you do not hear many people speak like that in galway, because there are so few real Galwegians about the place. there are different accents within the city, the newest one being G4.

What I said annoyed me is people calling things by the incorrect name i.e. Quincentennial Bridge, Eglington Street. That is not mispronunciation, it's just incorrect.[/QUOTE]

how do the barbarous natives pronounce the two above places? have they being renamed?

What I said annoyed me is people calling things by the incorrect name i.e. Quincentennial Bridge, Eglington Street. That is not mispronunciation, it's just incorrect.

how do the barbarous natives pronounce the two above places? have they being renamed?[/QUOTE]

There is no such place as Quincentennial Bridge or Eglington Street, or Salmon Leap Bridge for the matter.

It's Quincentenary Bridge, Eglinton Street and Salmon Weir Bridge.

So no, they haven't being renamed. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Somehow I doubt you could class it as incorrectly correcting people, so what the word is spelt differently than it is pronounced. This happens all the time, the word 'island' for example. I dont go around correcting people for not pronouncing the s in it!

I catch your drift and you made a good example. But it is not the case in this scenario-it is forster street. Ask anyone who's of age and spent it in Galway. "Foster Street" is coloquilism gone MAD!!!

I catch your drift and you made a good example. But it is not the case in this scenario-it is forster street. Ask anyone who's of age and spent it in Galway. "Foster Street" is coloquilism gone MAD!!!

it does not make any difference to our daily lives. foreigners and Galwegians who have a taken a degree in english at NUI and know how to pronounce English properly will use the correct pronounciations but we will still say whatever rolls easier off the tongue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

Worst thread ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Damn right yeehaw, it has basically gone from pointless navel gazing to carrying out laparoscopic surgery on the upper rectum in one foul (sic(sic(sic))) swoop :(

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

You must lead a very good life, if these are the kinda of things bothering
    you

Jesus Christ i asked a simple question as it is something that has puzzled me since i was a boy. If you have nothing better to do than point out how much more meaningful your questions in life are, quit spending so much time on boards.ie reading meaningless posts/threads.

Seriously wtf? I was looking for an answer to my query not ignorant comments in pointlessness. :(

If you have nothing better to do than point out how much more meaningful your questions in life are, quit spending so much time on boards.ie reading meaningless posts/threads.

You should listen to yourself
    If you have nothing better to do than point out how much more meaningful your questions in life are, quit spending so much time on boards.ie reading meaningless posts/threads.

clived2 wrote: »
    You should listen to yourself

Why are you being a prick, to what ends does this matter to you? Post on a thread that you can add something valuable to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Why are you being a prick, to what ends does this matter to you? Post on a thread to you can add something valuable to.

Don't listen to them Silt, haters gonna hate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭GalwayGuy92

First of all what the hell does "of age" even mean? It sounds like horse manure to me. Everyone I've ever met has called it Foster street and I've lived in the city all my life. (All 18 years:p).
    Get over it, let people know you have to pronounce all words phonetically. It's a real sign of intelligence being able to read phonetics.;)

Get over it, let people know you have to pronounce all words phonetically. It's a real sign of intelligence being able to read phonetics.;)

wtf? :confused: Have i sh1t in your cereal or something? Slagging me 'cause i disagree with your opinion on. I just wondering why alot of young people in the past twenty years have started to pronounce it wrongly.

It's not a matter of phonetics, it is Forster not Foster - no silent 'r'. Ask people who live there.
    Btw - When i said 'of age' i was more so referring to folks with a good few decades in Galway, not someone who can now legally drink. Im sorry if my use of English is horse sh1t to you.

• Advertisement

Jesus Christ i asked a simple question as it is something that has puzzled me since i was a boy. If you have nothing better to do than point out how much more meaningful your questions in life are, quit spending so much time on boards.ie reading meaningless posts/threads.

. :(
    Don't listen to them Silt, haters gonna hate.

I aint hatin on anybody, that guy basically insulted everbody who spends time on boards

Advertisement