Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forster Street

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

clived2 wrote: »
    I aint hatin on anybody, that guy basically insulted everbody who spends time on boards

Ah hear now. I said 'meaningless' threads/posts referring to a previous post that pointed out the pointlessness of this thread.

Hardly an attack on the site. Which would be well hypocritical of myself and hours i've spent in my life.

Edit: And by the by if you did feel insulted i apologise. But try understand things from my POV.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Ah hear now

Ah silti, c'mon! It's here :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Why are you being a prick, to what ends does this matter to you? Post on a thread that you can add something valuable to.

you cannot send a sentence with a preposition. while the learned posters have pointed out that Galwegians have difficulty with certain words it is no different from other places such as Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I aint hatin on anybody, that guy basically insulted everbody who spends time on boards

well maye he has a point and we really should have better things to be doing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

Which would be well hypocritical of myself and hours i've spent in my life.

that was my point,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

that was my point,

What was your point ( and IBTL just in case :cool: )

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    What was your point ( and IBTL just in case :cool: )

that he was being a hypocrite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Fuinseog wrote: »
    well maye he has a point and we really should have better things to be doing
    Siltirocker is justified to point this out.

This is the same sort of crap that has half of the teens in America "AXING" questions? Maybe the youth of today thinks that is street and cool, I think it shows them up to be illiterate retards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭GalwayGuy92

wtf? :confused:Have i sh1t in your cereal or something? Slagging me 'cause i disagree with your opinion on. I just wondering why alot of young people in the past twenty years have started to pronounce it wrongly.

It's not a matter of phonetics, it is Forster not Foster - no silent 'r'. Ask people who live there.
    Btw - When i said 'of age' i was more so referring to folks with a good few decades in Galway, not someone who can now legally drink. Im sorry if my use of English is horse sh1t to you.

I knew it was you who did that to my poor cornflakes!:D Sorry for my harshness, sarcasm doesnt carry well without a facial expression.

BTW my parents are native to the city as well, as are my grandparents who all pronounce it without an 'R'. So its not just the last twenty years that the 'Foster Street' pronounciation has occurred.
    Maybe its the different parts of the city pronounce it differently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Siltirocker is justified to point this out.

This is the same sort of crap that has half of the teens in America "AXING" questions? Maybe the youth of today thinks that is street and cool, I think it shows them up to be illiterate retards

Galway Ebonics FTW!

I seen this post and knew if there were one thing I done today, it were reply to it.

Ok, i know it's not the same thing, but ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

I catch your drift and you made a good example. But it is not the case in this scenario-it is forster street. Ask anyone who's of age and spent it in Galway. "Foster Street" is coloquilism gone MAD!!!

My Grandparents lived most of their lives in Forster St. My father was actually born in the house on Forster St and spent half his life there. We all call/called it "Foster St", so no its its not just the youth of today. If my grandparents were still alive now they would be in their mid 90's!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

Tom-ay-to, tomAto.. who cares? At the end of the day, its just something we all stick in our salads and eat...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

KylieWyley wrote: »
    Tom-ay-to, tomAto.. who cares? At the end of the day, its just something we all stick in our salads and eat...

and if we're wise, we acknowledge that it's a fruit but still don't put it in a fruit salad.

Advertisement