Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer constantly freezing

Options
  • 11-08-2010 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've posted before about this but recently its got out of hand.

I use the computer mainly for fs2004 and fsx and some 3d's max stuff but the computer is constantly freezing (cant ctrl-alt-del or anything and have to use the re-start button on the computer)

Here is the speck:

Intel Quadcore Q9550 2.83GHz Processor
    XFX 750iSLi Motherboard
    6 Gig DDR2 800MHZ RAM
    Seagate 300Gig SATA Hatd Drive
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 280 (1 Gig DDR3) Grafix Card
    Antec 900 Ultimate Gamers Case
    22X DVD Rewriter
    Windows 7 Home Premium (Genuine)
    Logitech Wireless Keyboard and Mouse
    650W PSU

Any help would be appreciated as I cant now do any work on the computer.

Thanks

Terry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

what psu are you using have u tested the ram 1 stick at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭cherrytaz

Thanks for reply.The psu is:

High Power Plus 650W

Model: Hp-650-G14C

Do you think it might not be powerful enough?

I will try ram one by one and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,301 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I have a similar problem on an old work machine here at the office. It was impractical to track down the problem conventionally; I just backed up the documents and factory-reformated this morning. Before that it was freezing up for 10 seconds, every 20 seconds.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Test RAM, then try reformatting. But I have that funny feeling that a certain component needs a short bake in a long oven... ;):p

Ok by reformatting you mean a complete re-install of win7 yes?

Excuse my lack of knowledge but what needs to be put in the oven:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

cherrytaz wrote: »
    Ok by reformatting you mean a complete re-install of win7 yes?

Yup :o
    Excuse my lack of knowledge but what needs to be put in the oven

I wouldn't expect you to know about this, just hoping you can avoid it and/or still have some warranty on that GTX280. Otherwise you can try to recover it yourself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,285 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

If you try the above and it doesn't work...Have you got a wi-fi adapter?

I figured out a week after putting my PC together that it was the wi-fi adapter that was causing my constant freezing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Chuck Finlay

Use www.memtest86.com for memorytesting.
    Does it freeze before, while or after booting (randomly)?

Thanks for help. It freezes usually when i run either fs2004,fsx or gmax. Like these programs triggers a timer and eventually stalls. I am going to do a complete re-install of win 7 (I need one as there is a lot of junk on the computer)

It sounds like a ram issue but I recently bought new 4gb of compatible ram

• Registered Users Posts: 83,301 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thanks for help. It freezes usually when i run either fs2004,fsx or gmax. Like these programs triggers a timer and eventually stalls. I am going to do a complete re-install of win 7 (I need one as there is a lot of junk on the computer)

It sounds like a ram issue but I recently bought new 4gb of compatible ram
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 280 (1 Gig DDR3) Grafix Card

Therein your problem likely lay if its crashing during 3d apps

• Advertisement

OK so i've done a complete re-install of windows 7 and updated gtx280 with most recent drivers and so far so good, no freezes to report at all.

Terry

HI again,

Sorry to be bringing this up again but the problem is getting out of hand. I run either 3ds Max or Flight Simulator for about 5-10 mins and the whole computer freezes up, I now can't do any work on the pc. Do you think it is perhaps a cooling problem? Really don't know what to do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Sounds like something is overheating, causing the crash.

Try running speccy to get your GPU & CPU temps, especially after being under load.

Cheers for that. I did a quick google on overheating gtx280's and there are a serious amount of issues. I will monitor temps at idle and running fsx and see what they are (apparently anything over 65 degrees Celsius is bad). Also seen it suggested to give the graphics card a good clean (dissemble it).

I'll post back with my progress.

more like anything over 85-90 is bad its a old nividia gpu you could cook dinner on them

run prime 95 do a blend test and watch your temps and if it does,nt fail with prime 95 running then i,d be looking at gpu or mobo alright

Ok I installed Speedfan (a great little tool) and monitored the temps and adjusted the fan speed of the gpu. I also cleaned out the computer (there was a lot of dust) and moved the tower so as to allow better air movement and so far so good. Max temp with fsx running is about 50 which is well within the limits. I'll keep monitoring the situation and see how things go.

Thanks for the help

Its at it again! Stalled after around 20minutes, temps were grand.I restarted it and left it on desktop for about 15mins without doing anything and stalled again, had to restart with button on computer. I don't think it is overheating so perhaps psu? Is 650w psu enough to comfortably run the computer?

Don't really know what to do at this stage, the computer is almost unusable

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Backup and reformat. It may well be a software issue.

The other option, as solitaire suggested, is a bad graphics card. A reflow(baking it) could help, but if thats the case the card will need to be replaced soon enough.

I re-installed Win 7 a few months ago to no effect but I've never reformatted, sorry for my lack of knowledge but I'm assuming that re-formatting is different than just re-installing Win 7? Are there any good guides to re-format?

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Same thing. Reformatting is the first step in a re-install where you wipe the whole drive(partition) clean.

Borrow a graphics card and see if that solves it.

Had a look at the temps and all are fine. Max temp of card is around 52 when running fsx. Took out the odd memory module and still freezing. Perhaps I should replace the psu and get a good branded one? Any suggestions for a decent psu?

Just thought I'd update the thread.

By chance I changed the drivers on the gtx280 to old ones (almost 2 years old) and the computer has stopped freezing. It's like a new computer. Delighted but I just bought a new psu and it's still in the box, might try sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Just thought I'd update the thread.

By chance I changed the drivers on the gtx280 to old ones (almost 2 years old) and the computer has stopped freezing. It's like a new computer. Delighted but I just bought a new psu and it's still in the box, might try sell it.

I'd put the new PSU in. I can 99% guarantee that was your issue having read the thread.

BUt ensure its a decent PSU, a cheapo crap brand PSU will be no use. What PSU did you buy?

Advertisement