Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

good deal on astra?

• 11-08-2010 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Have been offered a new astra SE for €21,350 with scrappage. Interior is lovely but not too sure about Opel?

Anyone any experience of new astra? Is it likely to hold its value well?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

There's new 1.6 TDCI Focus (style) going for €19,500.
    Advertised in todays Examiner.

http://www.cavanaghs.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭meathgal2010

I had the previous model. The Astra Sport Hatch. Had nothing but trouble with it. Couldnt wait to get rid of it. It was an 05 with low enough kms think it was 45000, and I only got 6K on a trade in for it. Bought a new Foucs (Style) for 21k and havent looked back since. If you are going to be doing a lot of mileage Opels cant take it. The first four weeks of my job which involves travelling the country I was in an Opel garage 4 times with issues. So went to Ford as I had heard they were the best for long journeys and high mileage

• Registered Users Posts: 44 markel

Well can def get Focus cheaper but just liked interior of Astra, much nicer than Focus.

But will be doing fairly high milage, doing about 25,000kms per year, so maybe i should just stay away from Opel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭meathgal2010

Fords , VW and Audi seem to be the best for mileage. Thats why most companies use them for their reps and managers on the road. I have had my focus since Feb and it has 24k on it and not a bother with it. I went for Ford as I am not a fan of the design of VW and I couldnt afford an Audi :P

I just think it's alot of money (with scrappage). A diesel will cost less to run with that milage. Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

squod wrote: »
    There's new 1.6 TDCI Focus (style) going for €19,500.
    Advertised in todays Examiner.

http://www.cavanaghs.com/

You can buy them alot cheaper than that:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200946195860835

OP, regarding resale value, how long do you plan to keep the car? The Astra 5dr is relatively new so resale value should be solid for a few years. Also considering you are buying it at a discounted price under the scrappage scheme I don't think you will do too bad when you go to sell it on. My uncle bought an Astra about 3 months ago and even though it is realatively new he has had no bother with it. I'm not a big fan of Opel but the new Astra and Insigna are really a level above the old models before them.

Also I am a fan of the Focus (had one for 2 years) but to be honest I would probably not bother with a new Focus if resale value is an issue for you, they have been around for almost 6 years now and a new model is due early next year. The launch of a new model, the large number of current models on the market and the trend of low Ford resale values would make me buy second hand rather than new. Saying that for someone not concerned about resale value €17500 for a 2010 compact family diesel will appeal to alot of people with an old banger to scrap.

BTW 25k km isn't high mileage, that works out at under 16k miles per year which is just above average for a petrol car.

Bazz26, thats only thing that putting me off a focus, don't think it'll sell well with new model out. Would like an armrest too!

Also took look at Mazda 3 and Golf, though a nice spec in Golf was a bit expensive.

The Focus is a good seller as it is a very good car, all you have to do is look at the amount of them on the road. The only things are that due to the immenent arrival of a new model, large supply of current models on the used market and large discounting to shift remaining current models, resale value is going to be weak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

21k for an Opel Astra is way too much. Shop around, you'll find a far better car for less cash!

bazz26 wrote: »

€19.5k straight deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

markel wrote: »
    Have been offered a new astra SE for €21,350 with scrappage. Interior is lovely but not too sure about Opel?

Anyone any experience of new astra? Is it likely to hold its value well?

Waste of money, I'm not sure what your taste in cars is like, but for 16k you could buy this. Great for the miles and has a full service history. Just my opinion of course.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1378979

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Armrest is under £150 in a focus...

squod wrote: »
    €19.5k straight deal.

But the OP mentions scrappage deal in his first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cooltown

My mother had a
    mk 1 astra and put 220,000 miles on it no bother
    mk 2 astra and put 150,000 miles on it would have kept going but heard about this wonderful ford focus and bought one mk 1 put 50,000 miles on it and in that time she spent 2,500 grand on it!
    Back to astra mk 3 put up 160,000 miles on it only problem was rear wiper stoped working cost about 20 uro to get fixed.
    Collect mk 4 last week!

Nice car Jesusinaglanza, but going for scrappage so has to be new

Advertisement