Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever seen a UFO?

Options
  • 11-08-2010 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi all! I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post in ......

Have you ever seen a UFO? I believe I did, certainly it was unidentified to me.

I was driving home from my girlfriends house on a particulary stary night. This is out in the countryside and there is little light 'pollution'. It was around 3am. I noticed a strange light or motion in the sky and actually stopped my car and got out to have a better look. I observed a craft of some type. It was moving slowly throught the sky and had some red flashing lights. It was'nt a satellite as I've often observed same. I felt fear when I saw this object as I felt I was in the presence and was looking at a technology that was way beyond anything humans can develop at this time. It drifted away in the sky. I had'nt got a mobile with me to film of photograph it. Perhaps it was just a plane but I've seen planes at night many times but this seemed different.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

sounds like an aircraft at a distance.

The only thing I ever saw ufo-ish was what initially looked like a star in the sky - until it started zipping around the place, stopping, starting and doing right angle turns before vanishing. the whole thing lasted about 20 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

maccored wrote: »

The only thing I ever saw ufo-ish was what initially looked like a star in the sky - until it started zipping around the place, stopping, starting and doing right angle turns before vanishing. the whole thing lasted about 20 mins

Seen something very similar myself on two occasions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

myself and a friend saw one travelling at high altitude flying to tenerife (kip) about 11 years ago. Moving at different speeds sharps turn etc. To far away to make out but definately was not a plane or satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Holy sh!t a few years ago I saw this exact thing. There were three stars that started moving in mad directions and spinning around each other. I dismissed it as lights from town (dublin) or something but my cousin and brother were there too. I'll never forget it. It wasn't scary though, just very interesting and actually quite pretty - whatever it was. Kind of creepy too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

ive never been able to explain that - thugh to be honest, we dont know what kind of space debris is floating around the atmosphere that might cause light to reflect in such a way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Witness a similar incident on two separate instances in the same location in the mountains, no light pollution and in fairness there is no debris out there that can do 90% angles at a constant speed without slowing down and stopping dead in a split second. Still unexplained!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

I remember my brother said it was probably searchlights but now that I think about it, there weren't any clouds for the 'searchlights' to be hitting. Also, had they been searchlights there probably would have been some sort of light trail off them, like shining a torch through smoke or something. I don't really believe in intelligent aliens tbh so I'm going to rule than one out from my guess as to what it was. Although it was a triangle of 3 stars so maybe predator was aiming his shoulder cannon at us :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Some of my best experiences were when I was camping out in the Wicklow mountains, theres is zero light pollution and you really see how unbelievably amazing the night sky truly is.

Anyway, I was thought to really look properly at the night sky and no matter where you look you'll see objects moving...now in most instances they will be satellites and other orbiting materials hence they were moving in a pre-determined path.

Once my gaze was accustomed to the vastness I started to notice objects moving in erratic patterns. There was no explanation in my mind as to what was moving in all directions, stopping, changing direction..you get the idea.

Whether is was a UFO or not it was very cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

i think everyone has seen a ufo at some stage as above posts have said.
    the one [something or ufo] that i cant explain,it had no lights, the only reason i seen it was because it appeared from the darkness, of some tree's and moved slowly up and to the right of me,the sky was dark blue and the object black.i didnt run til it was out of view....and them i ran. i couldnt tell you what it was, i was around 9 or 10 at the time. it could of being anything.
    thats just one of a few...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Everytime I look at the sky at night, I see things that I can't identify.

I can usually take a few guesses as to what they are, though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I saw one over Howth about 13 or so years ago. I was with a friend in Donaghmede at the time. we were gobsmacked at the speed and movement of it (it was moving slowly, stopped, moved slowly, stopped, arced up in a semi circle and then shot off through the clouds).

Went home and told everyone I saw a UFO. Got laughed at. Then it was on the news and all that the next day! Was so sure it was something very, very odd that when I went home I did up a diagram of it all in MsPaint :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 sligogringo

a-k-47 wrote: »
    myself and a friend saw one travelling at high altitude flying to tenerife (kip) about 11 years ago. Moving at different speeds sharps turn etc. To far away to make out but definately was not a plane or satellite.

I too saw a UFO but I was on a flight from Lanzarotte to Dublin around June 1997 / '98- I only wish I had other witnesses at the time!

It was also at high altitude, about 5am and everybody on the flight was asleep - except me (I am very tall and find it hard to sleep on planes /buses etc.)

I had a window seat, up near the front of the plane on the right side - all my friends & family were on different seats. There was an old couple from northern Ireland sitting beside me but they fell asleep as soon as we were flying.

Anyway, I had nothing to do except look out the window at the beautiful view of earth as dawn was breaking. The view was very clear and I would look out the window often.

Suddenly in the distance I spotted 'something' moving/flying at the same height and speed as us - at first i thought it must be another plane, maybe a fighter jet because it was smaller...but when i looked more intently it was what i can only describe as a UFO / flying saucer / craft.

At first I couldnt believer my eyes, so I thought that it must be my imagination or perhaps a reflection on the window from inside the plane (all the cabin lights were off. I also looked around to see if I could get the attention of anybody I knew but 95% of the people were asleep, even the cabin crew were not walking around anymore.

I guess the UFO was approx 1Km away because I could make out alot of detail on the craft - I can still remember it clearly to this day. I watched the craft for at least 3 minutes, maybe more.

Eventually the craft began to increase acceleration ahead of us, and then moved left across our trajectory. When it crossed our flight path I thought "surely the captain / flight crew will see it once it passes in front of us"....but then I thought no they won't because they are probably drinking coffee and looking over their flight notes or whatever pilots actually do (during autopilot).

I never told anyone about that experience at the time, for fear of ridicule - only later I told my family what I had seen and wished they were awake to witness it also.

It's a funny thing - because of fear of ridicule you sort of bury the memory - other people get very uncomfortable talking about UFO's (or ghosts).

That was in 1997 / 98.....

More recently on Monday 22nd February 2010 - at approx 1.30am - myself and girlfriend were in Howth, County Dublin staying in my mothers apartment that looks out over Howth harbour / bay. We had just returned from a ski trip and were getting ready to go to bed. I went to smoke a cigarette outside on the balcony, it was a clear night and the stars were out, i could also see the lights of planes flying overhead on their way to land at dublin airport.

I was admiring all the stars in the sky when suddenly i spotted a 'star' moving erratically. It didnt move very far and it didnt follow a pattern either - it just moved in a random fashion -down / left/ up / down / up / left / right...

At first I thought it was because I was so tired from my ski holiday (and 1 week of booze) - but then I called my girlfriend out to the balcony, pointed up to the sky and asked her to "look up there to the stars and tell me what you see". I said nothing else. She took a few seconds and then spotted exactly what I had been looking at!

We both watched the 'star' move for a loooooong time in the same random fashion. We had plenty of time to compare it to other objects in the sky and it was not like anything else - I went to look for binoculars but couldnt find them, then I found my digital camera and tried to make a video but the video quality was rubbish.

In the end my girlfriend headed to bed - I made a cup of tea and smoked a few more cigarettes - all the time watching the strange light in the sky. Eventually I grew tired and just went to bed exhausted.

We didnt really tell anybody about that experience either....god bless the internet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 AngMoh

Ya, I saw something myself back around 1989/90 in Dublin. Was walking back from a mate's place to my house (5 min walk) around midnight. Clear sky, lots of stars.

A moving star caught my attention. Wasn't overly bright, if it wasn't moving I'd have missed it. Anyways, I'm familiar with satellites, meteors etc. This was moving around 3x the speed of those across the sky. It moved in a corkscrew fashion, rather than a straight line, which is what really freaked me out. I lost sight of it when it went over the horizon.

Something I'll never forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

I even remember the date of the weirdest incident ive ever seen,March 16th 1994 about 10.30 at night.Driving home with my mother when we both caught sight of something moving erractically in the sky.It was moving and doing extremely sharp turns.We started following it because it wasnt too far off the ground,we backed away though when we think it was actually following us,keeping pace with us etc.It then started to fly away but dropped 2 objects from itself and then vanished.I always regret not phoning Shannon Airport(nearest airport) that night asking them did anything show up on their radar etc.
    That incident got me into Astronomy and i since bought a large telescope but havent seen anything too weird since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I often am astounded by these UFO sightings. OK some might not fall in to the category but for the most part every UFO sighting has this one simple characteristic. They are showing off.

Either they have bright and/or flashing lights visible for miles or they are performing some sort of cosmic dance in the sky.

We may not be able to travel to other solar systems but we bloody well perfected stealth technology. And at least have the ability to turn off the lights.

A b2a stealth bomber is nearly impossible to detect on radar, nearly impossible to see head on, has no lights in stealth mode so cant be seen at night and cant be heard coming, only when it passes.

Do people honestly believe that Aliens travelled all this way, don't announce they are here and have nothing better to do than show themselves in the sky to have a laugh at all the puny humans trying to decide if Aliens are real or not?

Seriously???

If Aliens were visiting earth we would either know all about it because they let us know or else we would not know because they don't want us to.

This of course only goes against ET UFO's and not earth based secret craft.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

tsk, you've obviously never heard of the Prime directive.
    Saruman wrote: »
    I often am astounded by these UFO sightings. OK some might not fall in to the category but for the most part every UFO sighting has this one simple characteristic. They are showing off.

Either they have bright and/or flashing lights visible for miles or they are performing some sort of cosmic dance in the sky.

We may not be able to travel to other solar systems but we bloody well perfected stealth technology. And at least have the ability to turn off the lights.

A b2a stealth bomber is nearly impossible to detect on radar, nearly impossible to see head on, has no lights in stealth mode so cant be seen at night and cant be heard coming, only when it passes.

Do people honestly believe that Aliens travelled all this way, don't announce they are here and have nothing better to do than show themselves in the sky to have a laugh at all the puny humans trying to decide if Aliens are real or not?

Seriously???

If Aliens were visiting earth we would either know all about it because they let us know or else we would not know because they don't want us to.

This of course only goes against ET UFO's and not earth based secret craft.

dr ro wrote: »

On the contrary, I was big Star Trek nerd in years gone by. Still love a bit of Trek.

That said, No star fleet captain would buzz a city... oh wait.. Janeway did it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

dr ro wrote: »

How are UFOs 'showing off'? Seen any float over the nearest pub lately?

People see them don't they? Elaborate light displays... if its not showing off, what is it? Being stealthy?

I think first of all most people wouldn't tell anybody if they saw something strange and second of all very few people actually claim to see UFOs (taking in the general population), so they are actually quite rare events. That so few UFOs are seen could be interpreted that they are actually usually very stealthy or not very numerous (I'm talking of the type of UFO that is hard to misinterpret, not sightings of Chinese lanterns). On the otherhand, they could be extremely numerous and only the incidences where something goes wrong, they are changing configuration, a certain angle of sight, are they visible.

Why not stealthy? Piece of cake for an advanced civilisation-
    http://www.gizmag.com/metamaterials-invisible-ships/8906/

Lots of reputable people have seen UFOs including police, pilots, military etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Good point. I actually couldn't agree more! But, nevertheless it doesn't answer the question as to what it was I saw, or anyone else for that matter.

I'll gladly answer the OP's question: yep- saw a UFO. I wouldn't go so far as to say I saw an alien spaceship though.

In fairness, if I did it wouldn't be "Unidentified" would it... it'd just be an F.O.

We couldn't pretend to know the motivation of an alien civilisation. They might not actually even care if they are seen in some cases.

Anyway...what you report could not possibly have been man-made according to your description of it's movements, it means you have to draw the conclusion that it was made by something else. There is no other logical conclusion to be made. That or you were hallucinating but other people saw it so that is not very likely.

BTW, can you post up your mspaint pic if you still have it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

Aiel wrote: »
    I even remember the date of the weirdest incident ive ever seen,March 16th 1994 about 10.30 at night.Driving home with my mother when we both caught sight of something moving erractically in the sky.It was moving and doing extremely sharp turns.We started following it because it wasnt too far off the ground,we backed away though when we think it was actually following us,keeping pace with us etc.It then started to fly away but dropped 2 objects from itself and then vanished.I always regret not phoning Shannon Airport(nearest airport) that night asking them did anything show up on their radar etc.
    That incident got me into Astronomy and i since bought a large telescope but havent seen anything too weird since then.

<Debunk_Attempt> It was a bat which was lit up by your (probably) mis-aligned car headlights! The two dropping objects were, well, droppings. </Debunk_Attempt>

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

That said, No star fleet captain would buzz a city... oh wait.. Janeway did it :D

Well, actually, Janeway didn't do it. I believe Kim was in command at that point, as everyone else was on the surface trying to kill ST's version of Bill Gates! :D

Oh yeah that's right... So then No star fleet captain worth their salt would buzz a densely populated area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

No, alas I haven't. It's something I've looked for for quite a while but I've never seen anything unusual up there. Any clear night we get and I usually spend 30-60 minutes outside looking for satellites/anything else, but even though there is little or no light pollution here I haven't seen anything odd.

Advertisement