Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camera Advice

• 11-08-2010 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi,

Im looking for a bit of advice on buying a decent camera.

Going travelling for 6 months so looking to buy a nice one.

Im not really upto scratch on different models, lenses etc,

Basically looking for one in the price range of anything from 200-500 euro for everyday use and any links if possible to the camera.

I will also be stopping off in Singapore Airport at the start of my travels so will it be better to buy there than here? Any help be great :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭david_1888

53 views and no reply, anyone at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

The problem is this forum gets questions like this all the time. I think over the past week alone there's been half a dozen - have you tried searching through them for advice? You need to be more specific too, as there's 1000's of cameras out there within your budget.

Do you want a dslr? further down the road you might want to invest in more lenses - you could buy a used kit for less than €500 - you'll most likely get a kit-lens, battery, charger, memory card, maybe a bag etc ...

Or would a compact with good zoom be more in your line? Again, there's so many out there to chose from and recommend, you really have to be specific as to your needs.

Cheers, I will have a look through them and see can I get anything from there, again as im not really upto scratch on camera I thought it would be best to get advice from here. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Not being smart but, first try read the first 5 or six entries in the thread entitled FAQs - Read this before posting!!!

Then try this thread. There's useful information in there. **EDIT** This is also in the FAQ / duplicated.

The above will give you a good feel for what you need to know.

Feel free to pop additional questions back here when done.

In your budget you are looking to get some of the entry level dSLR systems which can produce great photographs or high end P&S or bridge cameras (Canon G9 / 10 springs to mind - though in fairness its so good it is a photographers camera rather than P&S). That said, producing a great photograph has only a little to do with the type of camera - yes, there is a minimum entry point but its what you live and learn about the art that will produce the great photographs. This also too depends on your expectations.

I don't know specifically about buying in singapore but I suspect you'd avoid paying tax locally if you bought there. Try googling camera shops in singapore / airport shops and do some advance homework.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Lots of G9 / G10 discussion here

G11 is now available too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Lovely cameras, but pricey! I'd love one as a second/more portable cam but for the price I think I'd rather a used D40x/60.

There's also the Panasonic G10 - a neat 4/3 camera, with the option to upgrade lenses later. Around the same price as a G10

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-12-1MP-Compact-System-Camera/dp/B003B20STW

Thanks guys - apologies for starting this new thread, have had a flick through some of the other threads, have got a some info, will read through the above links now...

Just out of curiosity - any views on this..

http://cgi.ebay.ie/CANON-EOS-REBEL-XS-EOS-1000D-DSLR-CAMERA-3-LENS-KIT-/300453225843?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN#ht_10427wt_1137
    ?

As for Singapore, the travel agent mailed me back to confirm I wont be getting off the plane so thats out the window!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

david_1888 wrote: »

€420 is a very high price for a refurbished 1000D. This is the
    American version XS version. Canon Europe won't provide any
    warranty cover for this camera. For just €36 more, you can
    get a new 1000D with 12 months warranty from Argos.

Cheers HBR,

Would the Cannon 1000d be a good beginners camera?

Again, im still reading and getting a lot (very useful) info from all the links given. Thanks a lot.

Also any pointers to a good camera shop in Dublin to purchase?

Again many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

david_1888 wrote: »
    Cheers HBR,

Would the Cannon 1000d be a good beginners camera?

Yes. Other cameras in the same price range include
    the Nikon D3000 and the discontinued but still available
    Sony A230.

Questions about entry level DSLRs usually degenerate
    into a Canon vs Nikon debate or a recommendation for
    a more expensive model.

The most basic entry-level DSLRs are inside your
    €200-500 price range. You might even have a bit
    left for a memory card, camera bag and a cheap
    tripod.

The Canon 1000D compares well to it's rivals
    in the same price range. The Canon system offers
    the best range of new and used lenses. On the
    negative side, this model has been around for
    a couple of years, so it doesn't record video
    and it can't match the high ISO performance
    of the latest models.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

If you're going travelling then get the G11

Thanks lads n lasses,

The camera will also be for everyday use aswell as the few months travelling so would it be safe bet to go for the Cannon 1000d or the Nikon D3000 and also a good shop to purchase from?

Well after all the advice and other bits I went and got a new camera!

Firstly tried Gunns on Camden St. Was met by this very nice gentleman, explained my situation and he said the Cannon 1000d was a great choice although he did not have this model in stock. I explained to him I was leaving the country this Sat and he said he could not guarantee his stock would be in by then so he recommended other stores that I could get the camera in and thanked me very much to try his store first. I basically said the only reason why is because I read many great reviews on the internet about his shop and he replied he likes them people very much!

In the end got the camera from Argos, that, 4gb sdhc and a bag for 485 odd, thanks again for the advice and everything else!

Advertisement