Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin update for Ireland & UK only?

Options
  • 11-08-2010 7:12pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I bought my Garmin satnav a few years ago with only maps for Ireland and UK installed. It seems when I want to update them now I have to buy maps for the whole of Europe at a cost of €59.99, even though I won't be using them. Is there anyway around this, ie can one purchase an update for only Ireland and UK maps?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I've now purchased the Ireland and Uk map, but it won't let me download it to the device (not enough memory). It doesn't seem to automatically replace the map that is on it. Is there some way that I can delete the map on it, and the download the newer one?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If its the same map I think it does that automatically.
    Does your device take a memory card?

koolkid wrote: »
    If its the same map I think it does that automatically.
    Does your device take a memory card?

It's not doing it automatically. I think because I purchased the map separately, rather than as an update, it's not doing that.

I've just taken the SD card out of the camera and put it into the GPS:mad:. So it's downloading now, but I'm not sure what will happen when there are two maps for Ireland & UK installed:confused:.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The device should ask you to select one or there should be somewhere in the menu to switch between them.

koolkid wrote: »
    The device should ask you to select one or there should be somewhere in the menu to switch between them.

That's great news. I'll post up how I get on with it. Thanks for the info.

• Advertisement

Satnav working fine now, I disabled the old map in settings. Just have to go buy a new memory card now. Thanks all.

Plan ahead. The bigger the better.

Advertisement