Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clubs And Socs

Options
  • 11-08-2010 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭

What has UL got to offer.

I will be there in a few weeks:)
    And I want to know what kind of clubs and socs UL has to offer.
    Is there an Irish speaking/Ciorcal comhrá club?
    What are the best/worst clubs,socs you have come accross?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

here's the clubs and socs website http://www.clubsandsocs.ul.ie/ i'm afraide there's no irish soc at the moment but you could start one all you have to do is call in to the su and they'll help ya set one up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

http://www.clubsandsocs.ul.ie/frontend.php?p=clubssocs is better then the homepage at seeing the different clubs and socs.

your best bet would be to wait until the recruitment drive (usually held in week 1) and look what the clubs and societies have to offer there and what times they meet (there is no calendar on the website which would be kind of useful to know when and where clubs meet at a glance)

Everyone has different experiences about clubs and socs and it's better if you go and decide for yourself on what the best/worst clubs/socs are. There are also some new clubs and socs some people wont be able to tell you how good they are.

if you are interested in starting an irish speaking society, go and talk to a few people in the student union, specifically liz or paul lee. They can tell you if someone tried to set one up before, what you need to do etc etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

I beleave there was a irish soc attached to the Irish officer in the students union but they could'nt be bothered to folow the adminastrative side of things ninty knows more about it than me

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Yeah, make sure you give a good look around on the Recruitment Day.
    The Clubs & Socs are great, especially for meeting people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Right, Thanks for the Info.

So would anyone here be intrested in joining a ciorcal comhrá if one was set up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Right, Thanks for the Info.

So would anyone here be intrested in joining a ciorcal comhrá if one was set up?

I might! A bit of gaeilge never hurt anyone I suppose :p

Well it hurt my head when I was in school.
    I forgave it though.

Are there any piticular hoops you have to jump through if you want to set up a club/soc?

Are there any piticular hoops you have to jump through if you want to set up a club/soc?
    Nope, head to the SU, to the Clubs & Socs Office, talk to Liz Gabbett or Paul Lee and they'll tell you what exactly you need to do.
    Just needs proven interest and an enthusiastic group to run it.

Nope, head to the SU, to the Clubs & Socs Office, talk to Liz Gabbett or Paul Lee and they'll tell you what exactly you need to do.
    Just needs proven interest and an enthusiastic group to run it.

Would there be much running to it?
    Other than deciding what to do and when to meet?
    Is there a minimum number of people needed before it is allowed to go ahead?

Would there be much running to it?
    Other than deciding what to do and when to meet?
    Is there a minimum number of people needed before it is allowed to go ahead?

It can go ahead with 1 person looking to run it, it won't be an offical club/soc until the first clubs and soc council meeting which it will be passed.

you then will have 4 grand of money set aside for your club/soc to use, however this money needs to be approved first by the clubs and socs committee, also you will need a second person on the committee to sign off on documents and thus be entitled to this money.

You can have one person run it, but if you dont get 25 members by the end of the year, it will not be recognized as a club and won't get a budget.

As for much to do in running it? Well that depends on if you get people to help with the running of the club, how often you meet, what you want to do, etc...

well 1 committee member has to attend clubs and socs council, you must keep track of a budget and you must have an AGM and a constitution.

If you don't want to run this by yourself, i say talk to someone like the international soc, they may want an irish speaking section as i would guess plenty of students who come over would love to learn a small bit plus they might have people who already do this/would be interested in starting such a club/soc.

• Advertisement

reunion wrote: »
    It can go ahead with 1 person looking to run it, it won't be an offical club/soc until the first clubs and soc council meeting which it will be passed.

you then will have 4 grand of money set aside for your club/soc to use, however this money needs to be approved first by the clubs and socs committee, also you will need a second person on the committee to sign off on documents and thus be entitled to this money.

You can have one person run it, but if you dont get 25 members by the end of the year, it will not be recognized as a club and won't get a budget.

As for much to do in running it? Well that depends on if you get people to help with the running of the club, how often you meet, what you want to do, etc...

well 1 committee member has to attend clubs and socs council, you must keep track of a budget and you must have an AGM and a constitution.

If you don't want to run this by yourself, i say talk to someone like the international soc, they may want an irish speaking section as i would guess plenty of students who come over would love to learn a small bit plus they might have people who already do this/would be interested in starting such a club/soc.

Thanks,

I cant think of what we would do with the money tbh.
    Im in a Ciorcal comhrá in Waterford. Dosent cost a bean to run.
    I assume you can just hand back any money you dont use?

Ill wait till I get there and see if theres much intrest in one so.

If anyone is Intrested in A Ciorcal Comhrá or something similar being set up give me a pm.

If a few people are intrested I may as well give it a go.

Thanks,

I cant think of what we would do with the money tbh.
    Im in a Ciorcal comhrá in Waterford. Dosent cost a bean to run.
    I assume you can just hand back any money you dont use?

Ill wait till I get there and see if theres much intrest in one so.

That 4 grand isn't cash in hand, its set aside, so you need to show like the cost of irish books or something and they will write a check to that company.

But be creative, what about a trip to the Gaeltacht? some of the 4 grand could go towards that and lots of people sure would be interested in a trip the gaeltacht.

tbh i think waiting until you start ul is the best idea, your course could have loads of hours that you mightnt be able to sacrifice the time. Also could give you time to see if anyone would be interested....

Well I met a lad last night in the Ciorcal comhrá in waterford who said he was intrested in setting one up(hes is a student in ul) so ill prob give it a go anyway.:)

The way they give out the money makes sence now that I think about it.

Im just going by how its run in waterford really. Theres no orginasation as such, All we have is a facebook page and a pub thats willing to put up with us. We did go on a trip to the Gaelthacht a few months ago. Twas class.
    Sher if we get the money Im sure we'll find something to use it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

did someone tell me there was an Ubuntu soc...now that i'd love !

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

There's skynet, the computer society. They have several ubuntu events

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

bazkennedy wrote: »
    There's skynet, the computer society. They have several ubuntu events

right down my alley ! excellent !
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'm on holidays, but the misinformation hurts so much I have to post.

There ARE hoops to jump through. To become a recognised soc you must have 25 members. You may present yourself to C&S Council for a 15 week trial if you reckon you can get this.

€4k is not set aside for every club or soc. They get a budget and C&S Exec will review expenditure outside of this from a pot of about €30k, of which each club/soc (apart from new) has a cap of €3k, but no minimum entitlement. New clubs/socs can apply for a max of €4k.

It's all on the C&S website info page under Administration.

http://www.clubsandsocs.ul.ie/frontend.php?p=info

Any development advice or assistance you need can be gotten from Paul Lee (best email now to make an appointment for when you come up as he's one of the busiest people on campus), day-to-day stuff like admin questions and special apps requests are dealt with by Liz in the main, Paul will take overflow.

paul/dot/lee/at/ul/dot/ie will find him.

Thanks for that, I just e-maild Paul now.

Have you any advice on how to go about this?
    Is it possible for a new soc to be included in the recuitment day for Clubs/socs in a few weeks?

Thanks for that, I just e-maild Paul now.

Have you any advice on how to go about this?
    Is it possible for a new soc to be included in the recuitment day for Clubs/socs in a few weeks?
    Well Paul will tell you what you need, I'd suggest continuing to seed interest, try to find people who'd like to be members or committee members.
    As for partaking in the Recruitment Day, yes, you should be able to, before I did it with the Anime Society (setting up two days before the Semester 2 Recruitment Day).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭FerrisBueller

Hey OP,
    You're actually in luck, the Irish soc is being reformed this semester as far as I know, type in Cumann Gaelach in OL and I think it should come up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭imbroglio

Hi there,

I was involved in Irish language stuff in 4th year (last year) but I'm finished up now.

Anyway, there was no Cumann Gaelach, which was a terrible pity! It's great that people are thinking of re-establishing one! :):):) Go n-éirí go geal libh!

I worked with Aonad na Gaeilge, and basically I organised a weekly get-together in Seomra na Gaeilge, we did some stuff for Seachtain na Gaeilge last year and did some stuff for Raidió RíRá too, it was cool! There's an irish speaking house on campus too, and I organised stuff with them too.

To be honest, the amount of people that turned up to both weekly and one-off events was really, really small. It was quite disheartening sometimes. Even free food didn't attract people! (Which I didn't mind - more for me! :P ) There was lots of talk about setting up a Cumann Gaelach, but it never really happened. Maybe it was my fault, cos I had my FYP and was under a good bit of pressure - 4th year isn't the best time to dedicate all your time to your social life! :o

Maybe our little group was just happy with the arrangement of meeting up in Seomra na Gaeilge, drinking tea, and putting the world to rights. Aonad na Gaeilge organised a trip to the Gaeltacht at the end of the year, and without doubt it was one of the highlights of my four years!

I found it hard to motivate first year students to come along - maybe cos I was a big scary 4th year or something, dunno. And I didn't take full advantage of the SU's help, which I regret. Though we did have a small little group of deadly gaelgóirí and we had great craic, if you could entice more of them out of the woods, it would really add to the craic. I will say that you will need to be very very committed to getting it off the ground though! Saying that, Aonad na Gaeilge will bend over backwards for you and the lecturers will be delighted to help you. And, obviously, the SU!

Feel free to PM me OP, I have lots of contacts (UL students, people from Conradh na Gaeilge etc etc) from last year that might help you! :)

So jealous! Wish I could go back!

Hey OP,
    You're actually in luck, the Irish soc is being reformed this semester as far as I know, type in Cumann Gaelach in OL and I think it should come up :)

Where do I search?

I tried UL.ie and google but couldrnt find it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭FerrisBueller

Facebook :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Facebook :)
    I hear the Internet has links now:). Like this one...

I was talking to Paul Lee today about setting up an Irish Soc.

If anyone is intrested in Joining or wants to help set it up PM me.
    I should have a stand at the Recruitment drive next wendsday as well.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ciaran12

i'll definitely join if this goes ahead though if it ended up clashing with something else i mightn't be able to give too much time.

We had a great day at the recuitment drive today. 75 people joined the Cumann in total. We will be haveing our first meeting on thursday the 16th
    in the clubs and socs office at 7pm. If anyone wants to join feel free to drop down.

Slán go foill.:)

We had a great day at the recuitment drive today. 75 people joined the Cumann in total. We will be haveing our first meeting on thursday the 16th
    in the clubs and socs office at 7pm. If anyone wants to join feel free to drop down.

Slán go foill.:)
    Awesome, congrats :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

I went a bit mad and joined the International Society, Karate, Kayaking and Windsurfing. :eek:

Was going for the Irish but jaysus, it's poor enough at this stage, I'd just of been an embarrassment!

Advertisement