Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History of rush

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Cosgroves Chipper

Has anyone ever heard the story of "Jack the Lantern"? Dad talking about how the story used to frighten the life out of him as a kid.
    He apparently walked the back lanes at night with his lantern and lured people to follow him. You'd never be seen again if you followed.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Has anyone ever heard the story of "Jack the Lantern"? Dad talking about how the story used to frighten the life out of him as a kid.
    He apparently walked the back lanes at night with his lantern and lured people to follow him. You'd never be seen again if you followed.............

It's a well known Irish tale(Stingy Jack) that spawned the American Jack O'Lantern tales of Halloween.

It's a well known Irish tale(Stingy Jack) that spawned the American Jack O'Lantern tales of Halloween.

Thanks for the link :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,770 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Are you maybe thinking of Jack 'the Bachelor' Connor who was an infamous local smuggler back in the 18th century? He used to live on Lower Main Street - near the Michael Collins I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Benny
    Brother ?
    Mrs Kerrigan, Whitestown Rd
    Mrs Farren

Jem
    Tom
    Dick

All worked for Ruigroks at one time, I think were the confusion happens when anyone mentions Ruigroks, people assume it was just one farm.

Brian married Peggy Taylor
    Marian married Kit Russell(probably the longest courtship in recent Rush History, they dated for 30 years)

Which Ruigrok's LeoB? Everyone seems to assume it was one farm but the Ruigroks sons all had their own farms.

Walter- Head of Family

Sons
    John- Dick drove market deliveries
    William- Tom drove for William
    Walter
    Adrian.
    Right I was totally mixed up. I was thinking of Tom Murphy who lived in 3 Hayestown,Married to Annie a lovely couple. he had sons Tommy, Dick, Bill that I know of and 1 daughter I know of Collette. I remember Tom working for Adrian Ruigrok as did Brian from the back street wha as you say was married to Peggy Taylor. Actually Spoke to Mrs Kerrigan this morning.

I remember the Russells living down just off Daly's lane. New modern house where their lovely well kept cottage was.
    P.S it was Sheila that was married to Richard(Dick).

So Thats sheila from the brook. She passed away about 2 months ago. A lovely woman, terrific character who always had a yarn. Her children, Noel on Merseyside, John a bus driver on Route 33, Jas, Claire (RIP), Julie, Denise and Lorraine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Pacj

My Dad sayes Johnny Cash did play.

He sure did about 1963 or 64, he was a bit under the weather(had a few to many)that night but was still good. He was signing autographs and he gave my girlfriend his pen.

LeoB wrote: »
    Right I was totally mixed up. I was thinking of Tom Murphy who lived in 3 Hayestown,Married to Annie a lovely couple. he had sons Tommy, Dick, Bill that I know of and 1 daughter I know of Collette. I remember Tom working for Adrian Ruigrok as did Brian from the back street wha as you say was married to Peggy Taylor. Actually Spoke to Mrs Kerrigan this morning.

I remember the Russells living down just off Daly's lane. New modern house where their lovely well kept cottage was.

So Thats sheila from the brook. She passed away about 2 months ago. A lovely woman, terrific character who always had a yarn. Her children, Noel on Merseyside, John a bus driver on Route 33, Jas, Claire (RIP), Julie, Denise and Lorraine.

Ah Leo, your deadly. keep it up,this great info.
    I think Tom had another son Seamus(I think) and 1 more daughter.
    Jem had a son Derek who use to pull tug-o-war and a daughter,could be others!
    Art & Mary Andrews played in the Del Rio band ? They played at the pantos
    in the Paladium in the early 50s when I was a little lad.

Great chipper. got my first bag of chips there---Free. the sign on the toilet door said To let, the i was missing.

Are you maybe thinking of Jack 'the Bachelor' Connor who was an infamous local smuggler back in the 18th century? He used to live on Lower Main Street - near the Michael Collins I think.

Ha ha - no, me Da wouldn't have been afraid of stories of smugglers - sure the Cosgroves were all smugglers in the 18th century and before that. The story he was told as a kid is more along the lines the of Cardinal Richelieu posted about Stingy Jack.

Pacj wrote: »
    Great chipper. got my first bag of chips there---Free. the sign on the toilet door said To let, the i was missing.

Thats funny, must say it to Da later!!! Were the chips good?

• Advertisement

He sure did about 1963 or 64, he was a bit under the weather(had a few to many)that night but was still good. He was signing autographs and he gave my girlfriend his pen.

Wow. Its mad that Johnny Cash played in Rush - but v.cool, I like some of his stuff.

Michael 1790,Christopher 1795,Joseph 1798. I'm from Nicholas 1787 who married Eleanor Kain. John / Bridget sure have a lot of decendents.

My Granny was a Kane - would Kain be the same family? - seen as Cosgroves were Cluskers and Cuskers.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    World War 1

Quite a few famalies in NCD served for King & Country during WW1 or were killed at sea by the enemy when working in the Merchant Navy or fishing off the Irish coastline.

The below site is quite good do not all NCD soldiers killed are listed. As the site says its work in progress. Dead from the Naul, Skerries, Balbriggan, Donabate, Swords, Rolestown, Howth, Malahide and Lusk listed at present.

Dublin Casualities of WW1

Rush Dead- click on name for more info

Nicholas Beashel
    John Condron
    Michael Farren
    Thomas Hughes
    Thomas Kane
    Patrick Leonard
    Christoper McCann
    John McCann
    Bernard Smart

Wow a few distant relatives in there - Kanes and Mc Canns.

Thats funny, must say it to Da later!!! Were the chips good?

Best chips I ever tasted. Mr.Cosgrove brought me in and sat me down. He made me feel as if I was really important.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bucaneer

I have a copy of a directory of rush and lusk for 1868 there is a Francis Cosgrave of Rogerstown entered in it.

Best chips I ever tasted. Mr.Cosgrove brought me in and sat me down. He made me feel as if I was really important.

ah thats lovely to hear :) never knew my grandad (Mr.Cosgrove Senior) or was it one of the other Mr.Cosgroves (sons - Joe, Paddy or Michael) was giving away freebies?

bucaneer wrote: »
    I have a copy of a directory of rush and lusk for 1868 there is a Francis Cosgrave of Rogerstown entered in it.

Oh thats interesting, I am only just at the start of looking into Cosgrove family history - so I'll get back to you when I get a bit more info. Thank You.

I was going to start a new thread but probably best to keep this together with the History of Rush thread since we seem to be getting quite a few international visitors on this thread lately.

I think this might be an interesting to anyone from Rush or with Rush connections. Using the wonders of Google Streetview and screen capture can anyone link any of the below 1911 house returns with the present locations in the town of Rush?

Census Return for the Town of Rush 1911.
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Rush/Rush_Town/

So just post the name of Head of Household from 1911 and the link to the census return along with an image of the present location obtained from Google Streetview. Who wants to start us off?

I think the street numbers have changed a bit since then.

ah thats lovely to hear :) never knew my grandad (Mr.Cosgrove Senior) or was it one of the other Mr.Cosgroves (sons - Joe, Paddy or Michael) was giving away freebies?

It was your grandad who did the deed. I was not on my own,I was with a girl from the Bawn,Rosaleen Leonard. Reckon we were about 6 or 7 yrs of age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

I think the street numbers have changed a bit since then.

House numbers on the 1911 Census never match to the actually street numbers because house 1, 2, 3, 4 etc is were the Census Taker chooses to start from. So House No 1 in Town of Rush could actually be No. 34 Main street but you can still get a good idea of the general location of a family.

Anyone care to have a go at posting a photo of a location in the town and identifying who lived there in 1911?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bucaneer

Hi all
    Just a few more entries from Thoms Irish Almanac 1868 for Rush and Lusk.Postmaster was William Carey.National School master James Gough.school mistress Ellen Folenus.Parochial school.Master James Hunter.Michael Kelly Farmer and Grocer.Harbour Master William Leonard.RC Chapel Rev F O'Carroll PP.Rev J Murray cc.John St Laurence Vintner.Laurence St Laurence Farmer.Mrs St Laurence Vintner and car owner.Margaret Leonard Ship owner and Merchant,she was my Gr Gr Grandmother.Mrs Hoare ship owner.T Carey Ship owner and Merchant.Sir Roger Bart Palmer Kenure Park.

It was your grandad who did the deed. I was not on my own,I was with a girl from the Bawn,Rosaleen Leonard. Reckon we were about 6 or 7 yrs of age.

Thank You - its lovely to hear ancedotes like yours, i deeply appreciate it. :)

House numbers on the 1911 Census never match to the actually street numbers because house 1, 2, 3, 4 etc is were the Census Taker chooses to start from. So House No 1 in Town of Rush could actually be No. 34 Main street but you can still get a good idea of the general location of a family.

Anyone care to have a go at posting a photo of a location in the town and identifying who lived there in 1911?

Well the general location of my family is pretty much the same - and it makes me kind of hesitant of posting a link!!!

bucaneer wrote: »
    Hi all
    Just a few more entries from Thoms Irish Almanac 1868 for Rush and Lusk.Postmaster was William Carey.National School master James Gough.school mistress Ellen Folenus.Parochial school.Master James Hunter.Michael Kelly Farmer and Grocer.Harbour Master William Leonard.RC Chapel Rev F O'Carroll PP.Rev J Murray cc.John St Laurence Vintner.Laurence St Laurence Farmer.Mrs St Laurence Vintner and car owner.Margaret Leonard Ship owner and Merchant,she was my Gr Gr Grandmother.Mrs Hoare ship owner.T Carey Ship owner and Merchant.Sir Roger Bart Palmer Kenure Park.

Jeasus that postmaster was my great great boss:D

Interesting, just a few pages back there was a yarn told about an event in St. Lawrences pub. Follenus owned the harbour bar and Leonards the ship merchant are still on the sea. A lot of the Hoares went to see and in recordings posted here previously had a sisters give plenty of detail about the Hoare family and their links to the sea.

When did Cosgroves chipper close? I often heard of it but dont remember it.

LeoB wrote: »
    Jeasus that postmaster was my great great boss:D

Interesting, just a few pages back there was a yarn told about an event in St. Lawrences pub. Follenus owned the harbour bar and Leonards the ship merchant are still on the sea. A lot of the Hoares went to see and in recordings posted here previously had a sisters give plenty of detail about the Hoare family and their links to the sea.

When did Cosgroves chipper close? I often heard of it but dont remember it.

Think it was about 1960 or so,went on fire. When did Peats cafe open or close.

Think it was about 1960 or so,went on fire. When did Peats cafe open or close.
    Dont know when it opened but I remember it early 70s. It was also owned or ran by Joe Leonard during the 70s. Then it became Paddy pool hall, O'Connors carpets and then Xtravision.

The chipper burnt down in 1960.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

I remember a (short lived I think) chipper next door to Xtravision, sometime around 1981 - 1982

Pete's cafe was where xtravision is. I'm pretty sure it opened about 1960/1/2 but don't know when it closed. It was owned(me thinks) by
    Pete Wilde snr,Loughshinny.
    Remember a Tommy Devine ,Thomas Fagan,Christy Harford,Brien O,Brien,Mary Martin and little brother Mick,Ronnie Caren,Martin O,Connor and ????? Enough of that,think I,m going soft!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 ceadnus

Just wondered if you know if Pat Archer who owned the caravan site known as Archer's field at Sandy Lane was buried in Whitestown and when did he die. Is Liam Butterlly buried there.

Advertisement