Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing washing machine?

• 11-08-2010 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

Any help would be appreciated...

I have a small bathroom downstairs that I want to install a washing machine. The washing machine has both hot and cold water connections. What Im going to do is run a Y connection off the cold water tap and run that into both hot and cold on the washing machine, is this OK?

I cant read the size of the pipe of it, whats the standard size 1/2" or 15mm?

Also, the drainage pipe from the sink is an awkward shape, see pic. I cant find a suitable pipe in Woodies, Atlantic, B&Q, any other place with a wider selection? What would be the standard size here aswell? 40mm?

Would you recommend a novice to do this? I have replaced taps in both bathrooms and kitchen tap with ease, this is a little more tricky but I dont forsee any big problems, just water you have to be careful with !

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭rockdrummer4

Oh yeah while I think of it. Im actually moving the washing machine from Kitchen to Bathroom so I can install Dishwasher in Kitchen. The dishwasher only has cold water input so is it alright to leave the hot water input in the off position (you know the connection that runs from hot tap to washing machine, you can switch it off if you wanna take washing machine out instead of having to turn water off, is it oK to leave this permanently off?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Advanced search in google for "waste pipe connections" and select images: u will see the layout for waste there as well as the fitting needed to connect the flexies from w/m

or see the daty website here:
    http://www.diydata.com/plumbing/waste_connecting/waste_connecting.php

For most w/m: the hot feed is only used if the wash selected is 90 C: read the manual for the w/m so u dont need the Y

Thanks Carlow52, so as this is just a basin it would be 32mm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

on the question of waste, have a look at self cutting waste kits, that clamp over the existing waste and then cut the hole thru the clamp.
    on the water connection, replace the brass elbow with a tee and put on a washing machine valve facing down.....does this make any sense!!

on the question of waste, have a look at self cutting waste kits, that clamp over the existing waste and then cut the hole thru the clamp.
    on the water connection, replace the brass elbow with a tee and put on a washing machine valve facing down.....does this make any sense!!

Thanks martin,

Do you mean one of these (see pic), and connect the washing machine to the outlet pointing down?

Can you get the self cutting waste kits from woodies and the like? How much are they about?

• Advertisement

You mean:

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=20001&catalogId=1500000701&langId=-1&searchTerms=self%20cutting%20kits

This makes the job much easier, thanks martin, your the man..

So how does it work?When you tighten it around the pipe it cuts into it?

You mean:

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=20001&catalogId=1500000701&langId=-1&searchTerms=self%20cutting%20kits

This makes the job much easier, thanks martin, your the man..

So how does it work?When you tighten it around the pipe it cuts into it?

u use the black cutter to cut a hole in the pipe after u clamp it on the pipe.

These fittings require a bit of room which you dont seem to have too much:)

:mad: Please take note of how the new fitting relates to the existing P trap bend: look again at the images I suggested

If u fit it below the P bend then u run the risk of the water in the P bend being sucked out which is not good. Therefore the new connection needs to be made above the P bend..
    Am sure u can do it: just be aware of whats what

:mad: Please take note of how the new fitting relates to the existing P trap bend: look again at the images I suggested

If u fit it below the P bend then u run the risk of the water in the P bend being sucked out which is not good. Therefore the new connection needs to be made above the P bend..
    Am sure u can do it: just be aware of whats what[/QUOTE]

Sorry dont know what you mean, is this the waste pipe? Was going to add this in just below the sink connection, before the bend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You dont need to connect a y pce just connect to the cold.

also. If your connectiing to the basin 1.1/4" make sure you connect below the trap.

However I would warn of one thing. Some washing machines require pressure to open the inlet valve. 99% of all bathrooms even downstairs are supplied by the attic tank. This should have the correct amount of pressure in the fall but it may not....

A simple test would be to connect to the tap first and run the waaste to the sink

Im confused, is it above or below the bend, see pic. In the kitchen it is above the bend which would make sense !!

• Advertisement

below that bend...

Hey Joey, why below? As I mentioned in the kitchen it is above the bend, and I think this is normal?

Hey Joey, why below? As I mentioned in the kitchen it is above the bend, and I think this is normal?

No its normal if your using an applience trap but your using a tap in and the water in the hose while generally clean at the end will stagnate and because of the size of the basin etc and the amount of use the sink gets chances are it will smell.

Additionally as its 1.1.4" you cannot tap in as easy above it...

Anybody know where I can get self cutting washing machine kit, homebase, Atlantic, woodies, b&Q dont have em...

Anybody know where I can get self cutting washing machine kit, homebase, Atlantic, woodies, b&Q dont have em...

A company in coolmine called excel industries do them but i dont think they sell to the public. but you can ring them and ask for your closest agen that will order them

Thanks martin,

Do you mean one of these (see pic), and connect the washing machine to the outlet pointing down?

replace the existing compression bend with a brass tee (318) which will be exactly the same, (you can use the same nut and rings), but with and extra outlet facing down, then with a small piece of pipe, connect a washing machine valve....

Hey Martin you know anywhere else I could get a self cutting waste kit?

Gonna do that with the brass tee? Cheers.

Rock hammer; IMO I dont think the self cutting gizmo will fit based on what u have shown in the picture.
    Pls post a pic showing the rest of the waste pipe set up.
    Can u post a pic of what happens the waste pipe after it leave the bathroom

Hey Martin you know anywhere else I could get a self cutting waste kit?

Gonna do that with the brass tee? Cheers.

sorry not sure about anywhere down your way, but as like other such items readily available in NI and uk,
    also no reason why this valve will not work/fit on the pipe between the trap and floor.

Martin:
    Yeah, have been looking to source it online, is readily available in UK !!
    Once I can get this tho, it should be straight forward...

Carlow:
    The rest of the waste pipe is just a straight run down into the floor, which I assume joins up with all the other waste pipes underground !!

Why would it not fit, you just put it around the existing pipe and tighten?

• Advertisement

Just ordered self cutting waste thingy of this crowd - Merchant
    UK Whitegoods Limited.

Got one of the self cutting waste pipes in Atlantic, cancelled online order :)

So installed the waste pipe last night, it twas difficult, very awkward !! Turned on water and of course it was leaking.... both where I placed the self cutting waste pipe and where the pipe joins the wash basin.... must have moved while I was putting in the other thingy ! Gonna fill these in with silicone - it is only waste pipe not as bad as if it was mains water !!

Would this be OK? I dont think I have much choice anyway.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

what people neglected to tell you on here is that its illigal to have a washing machine in your bathroom .no 220v power sources allowed

if you are going to do it anyway ,please make sure that the copper pipes are are 100 per cent earth bonded -wouldnt be nice if your washing your hands and you get a shock

Oh yeah good point. But I already have a drier in there and just use an extension lead to a plug directly outside the bathroom, so will be doing the same for washing machine !!

Good point about grounding the washing machine :) Could I just ground this to the metal T I am using at the cold / hot taps?

Thanks for all the help lads,

Easy job :), the only difficult part was installing the self cutting waste pipe as it was in an akward position. To think people would pay someone to do that, Id say that would have cost anywhere from 100 - 200 depending on plumber...

knighted_1 wrote: »
    what people neglected to tell you on here is that its illigal to have a washing machine in your bathroom .no 220v power sources allowed

if you are going to do it anyway ,please make sure that the copper pipes are are 100 per cent earth bonded -wouldnt be nice if your washing your hands and you get a shock

Thats incorrect.... We were not asked about electrics we were asked about plumbing. I never professed to haveing a qualification in electrics.

I have now learned a lot by your imense insight though...

Thanks for all the help lads,

Easy job :), the only difficult part was installing the self cutting waste pipe as it was in an akward position. To think people would pay someone to do that, Id say that would have cost anywhere from 100 - 200 depending on plumber...

Plumbers dont generally use them and yes i agree its amazing the money they charge on somethings...

I once seen a plumber charge to install a condensing dryer.... If you know how they work you will realise why 50 euro to plug something in is amazing but he called it a call out charge on the invoice...

Yes I know what a condense drier is, one is sitting on top of my washing machine I just plumbed in :).

Thats what I mean, the callout charge alone on that job would have been in and around 50 - 75, then an additional 50 per hour say, and parts!!

50 +50 (say a 2 hour job) + parts another 50 = at least 150 !!

Thats incorrect.... We were not asked about electrics we were asked about plumbing. I never professed to haveing a qualification in electrics.

I have now learned a lot by your imense insight though...

well it was a question about installing in a bathroom -any plumber or bathroom fitter would not even offer advice on illigal install in a bathroom ,as you are aware joey all power points that occur in a bathroom must be transformed ,even a pull cord for the shower is gone now and must be a switched neon outside the room -
    no qualification needed in electrics ,just a knowledge of the building standards and regulations when bathroom renovation occurs

mix the brains and we all gain knowledge

Lads, relax, I did say that their is no plug in the bathroom, I use extension lead to plud appliance in to a plug just outside bathroom !!!

• Advertisement

Lads, relax, I did say that their is no plug in the bathroom, I use extension lead to plud appliance in to a plug just outside bathroom !!![/QUOTE

as i said share the knowledge so here goes

your machine is still using 220 v ac whether you plug it inside or outside the bathroom -heres the scenario the regs are protecting against

you washing your hands (or peeing ) in the bathroom and you touch the appliance -earth is bad at your socket (or thru the machine) heaing element on or blows ,and you have tapped in to your water source in the bathroom to connect machine . electricity flows thru water to find earth and finds you peeing ( like a dog peeing on a lampost ,ever see it ) or washing you hands .
    same result as throwing a hairdryer in the bathtub .

loads of people do it op ,just letting you know what can happen that why i said to make sure you copper pipes are 100% earth bonded/strapped .not nice if a kid wanders in and touches a faulty appliance in a wet enviroment

Advertisement