Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Death of a Salesman at the Gate Theatre

• 11-08-2010 8:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

Harris Yulin as Willy Loman is simply superb in this great American play.Can't recommend it highly enough.I loved it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

Thought Harris Yulin was mesmerising! Felt some of the other parts were weak and unconvincing. Thought in particular that the parts of Biff & Happy were miscast. Thought should have been the other way around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭todolist

Thought Harris Yulin was mesmerising! Felt some of the other parts were weak and unconvincing. Thought in particular that the parts of Biff & Happy were miscast. Thought should have been the other way around.
    I thought Garrett Lombard as Biff was superb.I couldn't find any parts that were weak and unconvincing.My only criticism,and it's a tiny one,is the unconvincing American accent of Deidre Donnelly (Linda Loman).That's just a small gripe in what is a terrific production not to be missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I thought it was superb. The only weak link for me was the neighbour. I thought he made some very strange acting choices. But I highly recommend the play. I don't know how Harris Yulin finds the energy to put in a performance like that every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dajeckel

I Have to agree with ToDoList on this one though it was Brill:D:):D:)

Hrududu wrote: »
    I thought it was superb. The only weak link for me was the neighbour. I thought he made some very strange acting choices. But I highly recommend the play. I don't know how Harris Yulin finds the energy to put in a performance like that every night.
    I agree with you about Harris Yulin.How he can give a performance like that each night is amazing.It was a pleasure and a privilege to see a great professional like Harris at the top of his powers.

• Advertisement

todolist wrote: »
    I thought Garrett Lombard as Biff was superb.I couldn't find any parts that were weak and unconvincing.My only criticism,and it's a tiny one,is the unconvincing American accent of Deidre Donnelly (Linda Loman).That's just a small gripe in what is a terrific production not to be missed.

I thought John Kavanagh's "palooka" accent and overall performance was unconvincing.

Hrududu wrote: »
    The only weak link for me was the neighbour. I thought he made some very strange acting choices.

Yeah, that was major gripe. As I just put in my other post. Fantastic play and would recommend it to anyway. When you have the likes of Harris Yulin so powerful and mesmerising it is hard for everyone to come up to that level.

Harris Yulin is so good he really makes everyone else look second rate.He's brilliant but all the cast are great.This Theater experience is rare and should be savored.A pure joy and a great memory of 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Harris Yulin was outstanding, brilliant - I need say no more! Garrett Lombard was magnificent, I really felt the passion in the performance he gave in the final 20 minutes.

The neighbour, Charley, could be considered the weakest in my opinion but that's like scaling back from a 10/9/8 to a 6 - it's still damn good in my book!

Go see it, what a play, what a performance - wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

I agree with the above in regards John Kavanagh as Charley. I like him but this role didn't work for him. I thought that Biff was good but not in the same league as Harris. The last few scenes were breath-taking.

• Advertisement

I really felt the passion in the performance he gave in the final 20 minutes.

I felt if he maintained what he delivered in the last 20 mins it would have been a top notch performance. A credible performance none the less.

Go see it.It's brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

The acting was brilliant, set was perfect, no complaints at all. Fine play and well produced. Bravo!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭bigsmokewriting

Yet another recommendation for Harris Yulin as Willy Loman - an extraordinary performance. Great use of the set, too, but to be expected from the Gate. :)

I'm going to put the front cover from the programme into a frame and hang it on the wall as a nice souvenir of a wonderful night at the theater.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭irokie

I totally wasn't crying into my fiancée's shoulder as Linda was giving the closing speech...

It was another great production by The Gate.

Advertisement