Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steve Staunton - Worst pundit ever

• 11-08-2010 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭

Great player, shocking pundit!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

worse gaffer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

hes not a pundit hes an embarrassment to the irish public

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

I love him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

any quotable quotes from stan so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I haven't even heard him but my imagination leads me to believe the thread title is 100% correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I think he's alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

He's hardly Fox Sports Super Duper Lightening Fast Soccer Entertainment now, is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

"argies"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

He's been alright so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Never mind stan, your man the presenter is a smarmy prick...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

Stan is looking and sounding more and more like Joesph/John Merrick every day. He was obviously kitted out in that suit by the powers that be and told to perform on the tellybox for the morbidly curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

DrMorphine wrote: »
    "argies"
    So embarrassing can you imagine the uproar sky had someone on calling us paddies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

micks wrote: »
    So embarrassing can you imagine the uproar sky had someone on calling us paddies

There's a huge difference between 'Argies' and 'Paddys' nowadays, ffs.

At one time 'Argies' was probably seen as derogatory, but now it's just accepted as an abbrevitation.
    Paddy is in no where near an abbreviation for Ireland, it's a derogatory term which some find offensive, I personally don't but I know a lot that would if an English person called them that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

If you'd genuinely be offended by somebody calling you "paddy" you really need to get some perspective in your life IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

baz2009 wrote: »

At one time 'Argies' was probably seen as derogatory, but now it's just accepted as an abbrevitation.
    Paddy is in no where near an abbreviation for Ireland, it's a derogatory term which some find offensive, I personally don't but I know a lot that would if an English person called them that.

"Accepted as an abbreviation" - perhaps - if you're a journalist for The Sun.
    Agreed though - Paddy is worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

DrMorphine wrote: »
    "argies"

Yea what was the story with him saying this again and again??? I noted he stopped after the add break. Probably told to stop.. came across like a total tool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

I suppose the people who are offended at being called a Paddy are the same people calling the Americans "Yanks"!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

I wouldn't be offended I simply find it ridiculous someone commenting on a match is talking like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Whoever combed his hair like that has a sense of humour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the lad lacks charisma more than any person ive ever met. he really is an embarrassment.

i saw him on SSN before doing a Leeds game and he was absolutely shocking, having a pop off the FAI bringing in Trappatoni, saying his english wasnt great.

thats a bit rich considering not only does noting much come out of his mouth when he talks, but hes from louth on top of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

"That boy Fahey has a nice left peg on him. He can whip in some wonderful balls."

Faheys right footed and rarely uses his left. Hes naturally a centre midfielder but played left wing for Birmingham mostly last season. If only Stan did a bit of research.

Whats the odds for Stan to get the Villa job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I had to turn it off. On top of it being a sh1t match, Staunton's "contributions" were embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Ya has to be said he's a terrible pundit. He's worse than Jamie Redknapp, and that says it all really..

Ya has to be said he's a terrible pundit. He's worse than Jamie Redknapp, and that says it all really..

To be fair to Stan, he was a guest pundit because of the country playing. Jamie Redknapp is the face of Sky's premiership coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

He was terrible on Sky last night,

He kept looking out the window when he was asked about the stadium, "hopefully we can get a euros over here sometime.....yeh know...".

Can you just imagine how he was in the Ireland dressing room as a manager, i don't even want to think about it, i still can't believe he got the job.

To be fair to Stan, he was a guest pundit because of the country playing. Jamie Redknapp is the face of Sky's premiership coverage.

They could've got someone like Liam Brady or Niall Quinn?? Or at least someone who comes across well on tv, unlike Stan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

He was terrible on Sky last night,

He kept looking out the window when he was asked about the stadium, "hopefully we can get a euros over here sometime.....yeh know...".

Can you just imagine how he was in the Ireland dressing room as a manager, i don't even want to think about it, i still can't believe he got the job.

It was the 'German Model', a disgrace alright.

He should have been sacked right after the 5-2 game against Cyrpus. Thank god he some how managed to make things worse, or else he could have still been in charge for the last campaign.

They could've got someone like Liam Brady or Niall Quinn?? Or at least someone who comes across well on tv, unlike Stan.

Sky think Stan is the quintessential Irish man.

He kept looking out the window when he was asked about the stadium

Noticed that. He isn't comfortable in front of the cameras.

• Advertisement

Sky think Stan is the quintessential Irish man.

PMSL. That's the funniest thing I've read on boards..........ever!!!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

04072511 wrote: »
    Great player, !

Beg to differ.

He is the original McShane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Pal wrote: »
    Beg to differ.

That line is almost as bad as some of Stan's punditry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭whatnext

Try that same logic with someone from Pakistan and see where it gets you:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

whatnext wrote: »
    Try that same logic with someone from Pakistan and see where it gets you:rolleyes:

Yeah but the word you are referring to is a derogatory word used for people that may look like someone from Pakistan, which a broad description.

'Argie' is used for Argentinian people, not because of what they look like or what continent they are from, it simply means a person from Argentina, which in my view isn't insulting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Yeah but the word you are referring to is a derogatory word used for people that may look like someone from Pakistan, which a broad description.

'Argie' is used for Argentinian people, not because of what they look like or what continent they are from, it simply means a person from Argentina, which in my view isn't insulting.

It became a bit derogatory during the Falklands war with headlines like Argie Bargy. I guess it was originally no different to calling Australians Aussies, but it did get an element of nastiness. But it entirely depends on the person saying it. I doubt the Argentineans would love being called it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

"Argie" is sun-reader speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Pal wrote: »
    Beg to differ.

I wouldnt go that far! But he was a liability in the Irish backline from about 96 onwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I wouldnt go that far! But he was a liability in the Irish backline from about 96 onwards

I used to count the number of times he lost possession for Ireland.
    It was unreal.

Mostly he just kicked the ball into Row Z

Advertisement