Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average price for shopping

Options
  • 11-08-2010 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

i'm just about to move into a flat(been living at home for a while) and was just wondering whats the average price per week on groceries?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Bob Z wrote: »
    i'm just about to move into a flat(been living at home for a while) and was just wondering whats the average price per week on groceries?

It can expand to match your income. Shop in Aldi or Lidl and try yourself. You won't know until you do it. I was continually surprised when I moved out.

Also, I'm not sure this is the right forum.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

how long is a piece of string ?

Id depends on your tastes are and where you shop.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I would say between €15.00 - €5,000 a week.

Depending on how many you are shopping for and your tastes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'd guess €25-35 per week and that would be taking it easy. Aldi and Lidl are great for the essential things and prob just buy your meat and veg as you need it to avoid overbuying and throwing things out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Shop in Aldi or Lidl and try yourself.
    Aldi and Lidl are great for the essential things

I do feel that it is a widely held misconception that Aldi and Lidl are the best value. I would say they possibly were at one stage but that the retail market is a much different place these times. It is a bit of a cliche at this stage but shop around. Just as good if not better value can be had these times in Dunnes/ Tesco/ even SuperQuinn or Supervalu.

Furthemore, I for one am not too fussy a person but I'm not overly keen on buying my pork chops and chickens out of a freezer.

OP I think you are asking this question in the incorrect forum. You may get a better response in consumer issues

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 fcukthat

I presume you are buying for one.

I would tend to spend around 60e a week. This involves a mix of shopping in the likes of Teso, Lidl, M&S and local butchers. Eat healthily. I bring my own lunch to work and cook most meals. Probably eat out once a week.

Presuming you can cook you should cook batches of food (curries, bolognese etc) and freeze them. Work out at around 2.50e per portion or so and never have to worry bout being too busy or hungover to cook and also prevents you from buying fast food which is crap and expensive..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭Trampas

single person I say €40.

Some weeks will be more and others less.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It really depends on what standard of living you are accustomed to- and whether you are willing to invest time and effort in shopping around and cooking. I like a bottle of wine every now and then- but not every week, and I tend to buy some ready meals- alongside poultry, fish etc. I probably spend around EUR100 a week- and have a good standard of eating. You could do it for a lot less- or a lot more....... A lot of the time- its not the food items that cost most when grocery shopping- you'd be amazed how the little things like toiletries, toilet paper, washing up liquid, washing powder and conditioner etc- which would only be bought perhaps once a month- can totally skew your grocery bill......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

+1 toiletries, detergents and cleaning products are the most expensive part of household shopping. This is where lidl and aldi are excellent. I buy it all in either store with the exception of shower gel and washing powder which I get in tesco.

When living on my own I used to buy these once a month when I got paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

honestly depends on how much meat you eat and whether you cook or buy in packaged ready (or almost ready) meals.

Lidl and Aldi are cheaper... there is the odd thing (like colgate toothpaste is a few cents more expensive and so are natural confectionary candies) but overall you're coming out waaaay ahead in Lidl and Aldi... specifically if you can keep away from that section at the front with all the cheap baked goodies and candies :P (The impulse buy section... also never buy anything near the checkout in any store - they're mainly impulse buys and they'll add up quickly)

Go in with a list whatever you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I go to FX Buckley on Moore Street about once every month or so and buy several kilos of sirloin and maybe 10 chicken breasts and freeze them. Spend maybe €70 but good quality stuff and lasts for ages. I have a husband and child though. When I was on my own I wouldn't cook. Maybe noodles or salady things. Either way €40 will see you right as long as you plan well and stay away from Spar, Londis etc.

But if this is the first time you're going to be living on your own you'll probably be on to Dominos soon enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Xiney wrote: »
    honestly depends on how much meat you eat and whether you cook or buy in packaged ready (or almost ready) meals.

Lidl and Aldi are cheaper... there is the odd thing (like colgate toothpaste is a few cents more expensive and so are natural confectionary candies) but overall you're coming out waaaay ahead in Lidl and Aldi... specifically if you can keep away from that section at the front with all the cheap baked goodies and candies :P (The impulse buy section... also never buy anything near the checkout in any store - they're mainly impulse buys and they'll add up quickly)

Go in with a list whatever you do.

+1.

Lidl and Aldi are the way forward.

Even if you don't care to shop there, buy the household cleaning, bog roll and some other stuff if you insist on shopping elsewhere.

There's a massive difference in the prices, honestly, and if you're on a budget, there are some things they can't be beaten on. Some of their meats I don't buy because I live near a fantastic butcher, but I've never had a problem with any of the meat I've bought there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Aldi is cheapest for fruit, milk, veg, eggs and cleaning products and sauces, also they do a mean gigot steak (two for 4.20) locally farmed (my uncle supplies the aldi nearest me!)

Tesco does a 3 for 10 euro meat deal so u can get a mix of chicken, mince and pork for the tenner, they have good meal deals for ready meals too

Lidl is the one to watch for coca cola, taytos, bread, biscuits and tea.

Dunnes meat is the worst quality, don't ever buy any there but they are handy for cheap frozens, alcohol and fizzy drink as they normally have some sort of deal on. Dunnes I find is normally the dearest bill, so I rarely shop there.
    (also be aware in Dunnes, one place might have a deal on in say chickens for example but it won't be the same in another Dunnes elsewhere)

Hope that helps somewhat?

Advertisement