Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance claim question

• 11-08-2010 8:54pm

A bit of hard one for me to figure out.

My housemate was crashed into by a motorbike and it was caught on camera. It was determined by the insurance company and all authorities that it was the motorbikes fault. Unfortunately the motorcyclist had polish insurance and they are apparently hard to get the money from, so while the Irish insurance company said they accept it was not my housemates fault, they still charged her about €300 excess. Is this the normal procedure?
    Will she get this back once the polish insurance company pay out to her Irish insurance company?
    I find it ridiculous she got charged for something they admit was not even her fault at all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Thanks for your reply, although it doesn't address my question on excess. While they can investigate themselves (the MIBI) without charging excess. In this case it was my housemates Irish insurance company that is doing it all, it has been a few months now, and the excess still hasn't been refunded. Just looking to know where she stands ya know, nobody is made of money these days. She's a bit shy and can just accept "these sorta things just happen" while I just don't. I still don't understand why she would be charged anything extra at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

The other party caused the accident and are liable for all costs. However, as a facility, you can claim under your own policy in the interim and they will chase reimbursement from the Polish insurance company on your behalf. The condition of your own agreed policy is probably that a €300 excess applies in respect of claims made.

Do not blame your own insurers for the defects of other insurers claims procedures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

he'll have to claim his excess back as an uninsured loss from the mibi when they complete their investigation, much the same as if there was an injury claim etc.

Thanks for answering my question. While I said it was ridiculous, I also said I didn't understand it. Now that I understand I don't find it so ridiculous.

But I wasn't blaming my own insurance company, or her insurance in question for that matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If I understand correctly, is it not that you friend actually ended up claiming the whole thing on her own policy subject to it being reclaimed from polish insurer. If this is the case, the 300 excess would be the last thing I would be worrying about.

If that was the case what would you be worried about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

sacramento wrote: »
    Thanks for answering my question. While I said it was ridiculous, I also said I didn't understand it. Now that I understand I don't find it so ridiculous.

But I wasn't blaming my own insurance company, or her insurance in question for that matter.
    Same thing happened me a couple of years ago, but with Irish insurance companies. I got my excess back after about 8 months.

Advertisement