Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me make jelly!!

Options
  • 11-08-2010 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

Hi, well I was cleaning out my cupboards and I found a box of gelatine sachets that I'd forgotten I actually had. So rather than throw them away I thought I might try some homemade jellies. Now I've never done this before so I'll need step by step if its complicated :D
    I saw orange juice jelly in M&S the last time I was there, would that just be orange juice mixed with the hot water/gelatine mix or is there more to it than that? It seems like there must be. Or can I puree different fruits and do it in a similar way?
    Any tips would be great!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Hi terlywerly,

Is each sachet around 7g in weight? If so, two sachets should set around 1,000ml of liquid. You're right in saying that it's basically a fruit juice/purée mixed with gelatine, with the addition of sugar depending on the tartness of the fruit.

A basic method would be:

1. Measure 1,000 of your liquid in a pot. Remove around 200ml of the liquid into a small bowl.
    2. Sprinkle the gelatine powder over that 200ml and leave to "bloom" for 10 mins.
    3. Meanwhile, heat the 800ml of liquid, adding sugar to taste, until warm/hot (just below boiling.)
    4. When the liquid is hot, remove from the heat and whisk in the gelatine mixture.
    5. Transfer the warm mixture to your mould(s), then refrigerate to set.

Using juices will give light textured jellies, whereas purées will give more body, due to more solids present.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

But be aware that some fruits will not allow a jelly to set due to the enzymes they contain.
    Fresh Pineapple, Kiwifruit and Papaya are those that won't set.
    Tinned Pinapple is fine though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

Is each sachet around 7g in weight?
    Its a pack of 6 sachets with a total weight of 70g so around 11g each. Close enough?? :confused:
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    But be aware that some fruits will not allow a jelly to set due to the enzymes they contain.
    Fresh Pineapple, Kiwifruit and Papaya are those that won't set.
    Tinned Pinapple is fine though.
    Thanks for that CJ, I used mango for the one I made last night, and I was very surprised this morning to see it set!
    Why will tinned pineapple set but not fresh? Silly question maybe :)

So 1.5 sachets per litre then.

Canned pineapple/fruits are heat-treated. This destroys the enzyme bromelain, which is responsible for gelatine not setting.

Canned pineapple/fruits are heat-treated. This destroys the enzyme bromelain, which is responsible for gelatine not setting.
    Aaaaaaah I see :)
    Well before I'd come on here, I had done an experiment myself and made up 1 pint water and 1 gelatine sachet with a can of mango pureed, and it did set and looked good. But when I tasted it there a half hour ago it tasted very watery :(

• Advertisement

If it was from a can it should have been okay. Blend the puree with the water to help bind the two, that should prevent it from being too watery. Edit: Did the instructions on the mango can say to dilute it?
    If not, then there's no need to use extra water.
    This video (03) explains how to create fresh pineapple jelly.

If it was from a can it should have been okay. Blend the puree with the water to help bind the two, that should prevent it from being too watery. Edit: Did the instructions on the mango can say to dilute it?
    If not, then there's no need to use extra water.
    This video (03) explains how to create fresh pineapple jelly.
    To be honest I didn't look at the can :o but I'll give it a go again another day.
    Cheers for the video link as well!!

Advertisement